MadDog27

First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Tacoma
Vehicle Showcase
1000%, I have ripped my rear tail lights off around 5 times so far when offroading. The trails in NY/PA are insanely tight. I'm extremely happy to have come across these and cannot wait to get them installed.
Can’t wait to see pics!
Sponsored

Qjoh5510

First Name
Quinn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR
Occupation
Operator

Mikeb16

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU
Got and installed the motobilt tail light kit on my JLUR to replace the stock incandescent bulbs. I have been wanting to do this type of conversion on my JL since before I got in in Feb 2018 because I really do not like the size of the factory tail lights and can too easily be taken out by ninja trees that we have so many of in NE.

I went with the motobilt because they are only ones I could find, I think next venture is going to make some in the future but I really didnt feel like waiting. What I liked that Motobilt did was make it so the it is not a destructive upgrade and if i ever feel like going back to a stock tail light I can. The fit is good not perfect but it is a curvy tub so expectations are not high, the biggest fitment issue really is the side marker curve cutout does not follow the body that well so there is a big gap photos below.

Parts Bought:

I have a tazerJL that allows me to not use the turn light resistor but you can get them real cheap https://www.amazon.com/CUTEQUEEN-TRADING-Resistors-License-Cancellor/dp/B00DCULNXS/ref=sr_1_4?crid=1NIAPAHFN90IX&dchild=1&keywords=50w+resistor&qid=1600546613&sprefix=50w+re,aps,165&sr=8-4

For the crimp I would suggest getting delphi crimping tool i already had this and it worked great on the factory crimp https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B071KFLY43/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1
You do not need to do all of the factory plug you can just use splices but i wanted to keep things stock on the body side of the lights

All in It was about $270ish looking back the receipts, but this is a open ended kit so thee prices can vary but still competitive with some of the mid tier replacement LED taillights.

The instructions that cam with motobilt kit are good and straight forward the only thing I would not is all driver side parts are marked MIR but really i think only the inner mounting bracket is side dependent.

All the Kit parts and everything else lazily left on the bench painted
IMG_20200916_220136.jpg

Working with the factory plug you want to make sure the white piece is pulled up, else the crimp ends will not go in, I was able to pop it up by sticking a pick in there and prying up
IMG_20200919_131417.jpg

Insert remove the back plate and the blue gasket and just feed the wires in keeping their alignment, when pushed into the connector you should hear a click when they seat properly

got the wiring diagrams from here fort eh left and right, there is a slight difference between what i have an LEDs as for pins i think https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/forum/threads/jeep-jl-wrangler-wiring-diagrams.19185/

the ping order with the red tab up going from left to right
top row: pin 1 stop/turn, pin 2 positive for side markers, pin 3 empty, pin 4 tail light, pin 5 backup, ping 6 ground for stop/turn/tail and backup
bottom row: pin 7 ground for side marker, pin 8-12 empty

when done put in the gasket, click in the back plate, and push down on the white front
IMG_20200919_131934.jpg

Now plug it all up and realize you made a really long wiring harness, for the lights i used there are 2 ports one for stop and tail and the other for backup only i clipped the unused wire for the backup plug to mark which is which, the side markers i plugged into the side marker circuit but you could do one as a side marker and the other as a turn or something
IMG_20200919_133449.jpg

And then you are done
IMG_20200919_133730.jpg

IMG_20200919_133732.jpg

The gap i mentioned earlier
IMG_20200919_133735.jpg

Profile own the body for stick out
IMG_20200919_133804.jpg

Stock for comparison
IMG_20200919_105813.jpg

IMG_20200919_105806.jpg

IMG_20200919_105802.jpg

Did you have any issues with the side marker lights not working? I have mine wired the same way you do with a connector to the factory connector. All of the pins are in the correct position and fully seated. I have power to the tail lights but the side markers won't work. I know the side markers work because I tried them on a different power source and they work fine.

I am going to try changing the settings with the tazer and see if that makes them work

Sponsored

OP
OP

Sheepjeep

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
01 xj, 04 Silverado 2500hd
Did you have any issues with the side marker lights not working? I have mine wired the same way you do with a connector to the factory connector. All of the pins are in the correct position and fully seated. I have power to the tail lights but the side markers won't work. I know the side markers work because I tried them on a different power source and they work fine.

I am going to try changing the settings with the tazer and see if that makes them work
Never had issues, but I have always had the Razer programed to be led tail lights so I've never recall checking them with stick settings

That being said they are on when the headlights are on

Mikeb16

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU
Never had issues, but I have always had the Razer programed to be led tail lights so I've never recall checking them with stick settings

That being said they are on when the headlights are on

I'll change the settings with the tazer I'm sure it is more than likely that since I didn't have the factory LED group. But you had a good write up on the install!
Sponsored