Most common ongoing issues: 2020 JL

HoboJeep

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR Sting Gray
2020 JLUR with about 7,000 miles on it. No issues with steering. That was one item I was worried about before buying.

Wire for the rear window defroster has detached on the passenger side. Very common problem.

Recently got a recall notice about the radio, but I have not had any problems with mine. Will get it done when I go to dealer to get the wire fixed.

Not the most comfortable riding vehicle for a daily driver, but the fun factor of the Jeep makes it worth it.

Jeff

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLURD 06 Corvette. 16 FLTRU
Occupation
Lighthouse Keeper, Retired Electrical Engineer
Vehicle Showcase
2020 JLUR Diesel with 677 miles. Ordered in December, Took delivery in April. So much better in every way than the 2007 JKU that I ordered in 2006. I've driven Jeeps for 40 years, and all of them had their quirks. To me it's part of driving a Jeep.

VNT

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
SRT Challenger, 2015 Hemi Overland, 02 WJ 4.7, 2000 Durango, PT Cruisers, 2018 Punkn Sahara 2020 OB Rubicon
2018 Sahara, no issues. Had the Steering Stabilizer and Track Bar replaced by dealer under the TSBs, have them in the basement and had a Steer Smarts Track Bar and Falcon Stabilzer installed instead :) Wife's jeep, never had an issue, 13K miles, note it drove fine. Also installed Northridge Grade 8 bolts on all the control arms and track bar.

2020 Rubicon, too new but no issues so far. Will be installing the same part on it. Also have the Synergy brackets to put on both along with some FOX shocks.

Per the comments on roof leaks LOL, dont consider water run off from drip rail a leak when opening the door, own 3 convertibles, no drip rails and every time you open the door some water runs off, nature of the beast.

Sponsored

Goosed

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR
2020 JLUR with about 7,000 miles on it. No issues with steering. That was one item I was worried about before buying.

Wire for the rear window defroster has detached on the passenger side. Very common problem.

Recently got a recall notice about the radio, but I have not had any problems with mine. Will get it done when I go to dealer to get the wire fixed.

Not the most comfortable riding vehicle for a daily driver, but the fun factor of the Jeep makes it worth it.
radio recall? I missed this...

HoboJeep

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR Sting Gray
Has something to do with the back up camera not turning off after you change the gear out of reverse and start going forward. Recall says " ... radio may continue to display the rear view image until a drive cycle ends." The camera stays on and doesn't turn off I think. Mine works fine though. Have not had that problem.
Notice # W35 2019-20 BV JL 2020 JT VP4 Radio Software

Jmonroe

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR and a '99 Camaro SS convertible I bought new
Occupation
Retired
We'd never had the problem before getting notified of the recall but a couple of days ago...

Backed out of a parking stall at the local Walgreens to head off to complete my next errand. The screen continued to display the last image from before I shifted into drive. In other words the camera was not functioning normally, the image was frozen. I was looking at the Walgreens parking lot all the way to my next destination, Walmart and the Walmart parking lot all the way home. It has not reoccured in the last couple of days.

I'd been ignoring the recall because I'd never seen the issue. Still don't think it's worth a special trip, it'll go on the list for the next service visit which should be a way off.

PavementWarrior

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 2 door JL
biggest ongoing issue is its still a Fiat/Peugeot, that poison drip of weak parts into the system is a problem.

The goofy electrical vs weak steering components will keep on keeping on. Oh sure some dotn having steering issues, thats the nature of building things cheap so they barely are strong enough. When you over build parts you dont have a big reliability yield issue.

Sponsored

Trauma Jeep

First Name
Noah
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Silver Zenith 2024 JLU
The rear window leaking on the hard top is not limited to the 2020. I guess they never figured out how to fix that. It’s weird when you think about it, my soft top is drier than my hard top in heavy rain.
Same

Dono

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Willys
Mine 2020 Willys just stranded me. Service ESS light and then misfires, shuddering and flashing check engine. Dealer won’t be able to look till Monday obviously - had er towed, 4600km

JDJL

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR 3.6L 6spd
I ordered my 2020 JLUR in March and took delivery in July, so I've only had it for a few weeks. I'm working from home, so I have ~600 miles on it. All the welds (that I can see) look clean, and I haven't had any issues with it so far. Steering is tight even at 80 mph but it does wander a bit on windy days. Even going to the grocery store is an adventure in a Jeep. I'm really happy with it.

opiop

First Name
Toby
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL Sport 6 speed Bikini Pearl
Occupation
Software Developer
Unfortunately I haven't been as lucky as all of you. I have a 2020 JL Sport 3.6 with the manual trans. These are all the issues I've had so far:

- Passenger seat stuck on rail, won't move or tumble

- Service stop/start message & ESS turns off when I open driver's door. Dome light also doesn't come on when I open driver's door. Suspect it's an issue with the wiring harness, but haven't taken it in for this yet

- Fuel gauge stopped working, had to have some module replaced

- Strange grinding/pinging sound coming from engine when in in lower RPM's

- Door comes into contact with tub when closed so I have paint rubbing off which will need to be dealt with before winter

- Driver's side window sags off top rail. Not a huge deal because it still stays on and keeps water out, but combined with all the other issues it's just irritating

- Occasionally "stumbles" while in third gear, it almost feels like it's engine breaking for a second or two

This is my 4th Wrangler and I love them, but my JL is starting to make me worry about long term reliability. Fortunately most of these issues are easily fixable with a trip to the dealer. The only one that truly worries me is the engine noise/"stumbling" - I'm worried it's a major issue and the engine will blow someday. I really want to keep my Wrangler for a *long* time but with all these issues within the first year of ownership... kinda making me rethink that plan.

But you really shouldn't worry! Most Wranglers are totally fine and never have (major) problems. I think I'm just one of the unlucky ones.
Sponsored