Mopar Tow Harness Install

LoganDzwon

First Name
Logan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
I just got done installing mine. Mine is actually slightly different. They changed how the red wire from the battery attaches. Now instead of installing it into the little controller’s harness has its own seporate plug.

I also managed to do it with just pulling the inner fender back. That did not make it easier, but I had already perfected the method when I installed the CB power and didn’t have replacement rivets.

I have suggestion how FCA/Mopar could make this kit much better. Actually, if I ever install another one I’ll make these changes in the house before I start install.
(1) Make loom “A” (red wire,) much shorter. The connector should be in the passenger floor area with the bulk of then wire in “B” loom with with the ground and blue wire. This would reduce a whole step and make install about 15 -20 minutes faster.

(2) make blue wire longer to be correct length.

(3) Include a brake light lead from the controller to run along with blue wire.

(4) include the four pin connector factory installs have with the following
- make blue wire longer
- t-off red power wire at the afore mentioned passages floor area to provide power lead with blue wire.
- include a second ground lug to attach under passenger area that runs with blue wire.

And for the love of all that is holy, please, please bring the Gladiator brake controller into something we retro fit into JLs for a reasonable price!!!
Sponsored

Reactions: aai

aai

First Name
aai
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JL 2.0 Rubicon : '20 JT 3.6 Overland
Vehicle Showcase
thanks for creating this thread on the mopar harness Merge, just finished it. Took approx. 5hrs checking and rechecking looking for a 100% success rate. Everything as posted in your pics and the CJ video minus one thing, not sure if it has been mentioned on this thread. The Red wire from the engine bay ( fuse panel connection) doesn't need to be fished into the main harness plug anymore. They have supplied a pigtail running out of the main connector with its own little plug and you just click on to that. Guess it saves 10 minutes of going thru that step but it took me 15 minutes to figure out what's going on lol. Regardless thanks again for starting this thread.

fullsizeoutput_56f.jpeg

OP
OP

mergedown

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sahara
thanks for creating this thread on the mopar harness Merge, just finished it. Took approx. 5hrs checking and rechecking looking for a 100% success rate. Everything as posted in your pics and the CJ video minus one thing, not sure if it has been mentioned on this thread. The Red wire from the engine bay ( fuse panel connection) doesn't need to be fished into the main harness plug anymore. They have supplied a pigtail running out of the main connector with its own little plug and you just click on to that. Guess it saves 10 minutes of going thru that step but it took me 15 minutes to figure out what's going on lol. Regardless thanks again for starting this thread.

fullsizeoutput_56f.jpeg
Well isn’t that handy!!!

Congrats on the install!

Reactions: aai

Sponsored

aai

First Name
aai
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Thanks! took it for a spin, and it did surprisingly well. Little sagging due to I didn't throw the lower 2" bump stops that came with my ST1 kit but will now. Towed a 7x12 enclosed trailer. Will do the brake controller next.

YKRWZHzZTF+kAxKQeB9zog.jpg

View attachment 153780

Attachments

• 0 bytes Views: 0
OP
OP

mergedown

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sahara
Thanks! took it for a spin, and it did surprisingly well. Little sagging due to I didn't throw the lower 2" bump stops that came with my ST1 kit but will now. Towed a 7x12 enclosed trailer. Will do the brake controller next.

YKRWZHzZTF+kAxKQeB9zog.jpg

View attachment 153780
Nice, I have a similar trailer, also 7x12 enclosed. I towed it on on 3 hour trip without a brake controller with no issue sitting at about 3200lbs. I’ve tried to get my brake controller working but have not been able to find a signal wire from the brake pedal.

Last edited:

aai

First Name
aai
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
brake controller is probably a bit much for this 2 door lol. Regardless, glad I went this route and got the mopar stuff instead of the easier 4 pin install Ive read that e-trailer and Quadratec has. We have a small boat that we usually tow with the 4 Runner. It has this funky 7pin to 5 pin adapter. This way the Jeep can step up as an option if needed.

IMG_4165.jpg

Wy5U9sQ4SMus3DhcAsOUPw.jpg

OP
OP

mergedown

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sahara
brake controller is probably a bit much for this 2 door lol. Regardless, glad I went this route and got the mopar stuff instead of the easier 4 pin install Ive read that e-trailer and Quadratec has. We have a small boat that we usually tow with the 4 Runner. It has this funky 7pin to 5 pin adapter. This way the Jeep can step up as an option if needed.

IMG_4165.jpg

Wy5U9sQ4SMus3DhcAsOUPw.jpg
Yes, I went Mopar as well! Good luck with your brake controller, let me know if you figure it out as no one else has, unless it came with factory towing.

MrMora

First Name
Joseph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler JLU
Occupation
Carpenter
@mergedown thanks for this post this helped quite a bit in my install got the harness in with no hiccups also thank you to anyone else that had helpful info

EB36FD40-E11E-4DDB-A6EF-05A7E4E66891.jpeg

Sponsored

NC4x4

First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU
Does any one know the size of the bolts that hold the 7 and 4 pin harness on the rear? I upgraded rear bumpers and I need to fab p some spacers and need longer bolts to make the trailer harness sit low enough to be used again. Thanks!

Halstem1

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
Anyone know any trouble shooting recommendations for this? I stalled yesterday. Process was pretty smooth. About 5 hours start to finish like everyone says. However, I don’t seem to have power to the back. Or at least i can’t get any trailer lights when I plug in. Is there a fuse to check or anything? Or should I just check connectors? Not sure really what it could be. I already checked the battery connection and the location of the pins in the plug.

OP
OP

mergedown

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sahara
Anyone know any trouble shooting recommendations for this? I stalled yesterday. Process was pretty smooth. About 5 hours start to finish like everyone says. However, I don’t seem to have power to the back. Or at least i can’t get any trailer lights when I plug in. Is there a fuse to check or anything? Or should I just check connectors? Not sure really what it could be. I already checked the battery connection and the location of the pins in the plug.
Double check and make sure the wires you had to re-pin in the harness are seated all the way. This is the problem I had at first as well.

Halstem1

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
Double check and make sure the wires you had to re-pin in the harness are seated all the way. This is the problem I had at first as well.
Thanks! That was the first thing I checked actually. Ended up being the fuse in the little box off the battery. It must have been blown when I got it. Not sure. Quick trip to store and replaced it and all good.

chris4prez

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 JLUR
Can anyone explain the trick on unplugging the tow wiring harness from the tow plugs in the rear? I need to replace the housing mounted on the rear bumper but can’t figure out if I need to just pull it hard or need to push a pin in etc.

Picture to show what I’m trying to unattached.

3E4B40DC-A3FE-4A39-B655-C141EEFF2C65.jpeg
Sponsored