Sponsored

Mopar Stubby Bumper

Namakan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JL Willys
Installed the Mopar steel stubby bumper and found it strange there were no close out panels for the back. I’ve searched the parts section as best I can and can’t find anything.

Does anyone know if there are panels for this application? Does the steel bumper on the Rubicon have them?

Jeep Wrangler JL Mopar Stubby Bumper 47334C0A-0DDC-4702-A173-96EB237478C7
Sponsored

HeatBird

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
79' Corvette 4 spd. 21'Willys 2dr. 6 spd.
Occupation
Retired
Installed the Mopar steel stubby bumper and found it strange there were no close out panels for the back. I’ve searched the parts section as best I can and can’t find anything.

Does anyone know if there are panels for this application? Does the steel bumper on the Rubicon have them?

47334C0A-0DDC-4702-A173-96EB237478C7.jpeg
From what I understand you can just use the one you took off when you removed your plastic bumper.
I've got a stubby ordered and coming, (hopefully), Tuesday. Did you need to purchase any brackets or was the steel bumper all you needed?

HeatBird

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retired
Oops, I thought you meant the filler panel between the bumper and grill.
I'd still like to know about any brackets needed. Thanks.

OP
OP
Namakan

Namakan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JL Willys
From what I understand you can just use the one you took off when you removed your plastic bumper.
I've got a stubby ordered and coming, (hopefully), Tuesday. Did you need to purchase any brackets or was the steel bumper all you needed?
No other brackets were needed however you will need to order the plastic molding strip behind the bumper as well as the front license plate bracket if your state requires it. I also needed to order 12 additional bolts to finish off all the ones where that are left blank due to not having the extensions on each end.

It was a learning experience for both myself and the dealer as Mopar’s accessory parts description leaves a lot to be desired.

HeatBird

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retired
No other brackets were needed however you will need to order the plastic molding strip behind the bumper as well as the front license plate bracket if your state requires it. I also needed to order 12 additional bolts to finish off all the ones where that are left blank due to not having the extensions on each end.

It was a learning experience for both myself and the dealer as Mopar’s accessory parts description leaves a lot to be desired.
Thank you much. I had seen, mostly on YouTube, conflicting vids on needing brackets to not even mentioning any.
The plastic molding from the Willys couldn't be reused?
That's odd the stubby doesn't come with the bolts. Geez. Talk about nickel and dining folks. I'll call my dealer tomorrow and see what they say. If needed I might as well get them ordered also.
Thanks for the quick reply.

Sponsored

OP
OP
Namakan

Namakan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JL Willys
The close out panels on the backside from the original bumper would not work as they extend all the way out to the edge of the wide bumper.

let me know if you find any other info on this.

Grace213

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU
Oops, I thought you meant the filler panel between the bumper and grill.
I'd still like to know about any brackets needed. Thanks.
If you are not going to use the steel skid plate and are just installing the steel bumper you do not need anything else. You will reuse the hardware from your plastic bumper, but the skid plate from the plastic bumper will not work. Also there is a plastic filler piece between the bumper and the grille that is different from the plastic bumper group.

If using the skid plate for the steel bumper you will need the following:

7x 06512587AA bolt screw plate to bumper
1x 68353836AA skid bracket right
1x 68353837AA skid bracket left
4x 06511076AA riv nut for bracket
4x 6104414AA bolt for riv nut
1x 68293984AB skid plate

Quadratec sells a skid plate kit with everything you need, but if you piece it out separately it saves you about 100 bucks. The kit does not include the plastic filler piece I mentioned earlier.

HeatBird

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retired
The close out panels on the backside from the original bumper would not work as they extend all the way out to the edge of the wide bumper.

let me know if you find any other info on this.
I sure will.

HeatBird

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retired
If you are not going to use the steel skid plate and are just installing the steel bumper you do not need anything else. You will reuse the hardware from your plastic bumper, but the skid plate from the plastic bumper will not work. Also there is a plastic filler piece between the bumper and the grille that is different from the plastic bumper group.

If using the skid plate for the steel bumper you will need the following:

7x 06512587AA bolt screw plate to bumper
1x 68353836AA skid bracket right
1x 68353837AA skid bracket left
4x 06511076AA riv nut for bracket
4x 6104414AA bolt for riv nut
1x 68293984AB skid plate

Quadratec sells a skid plate kit with everything you need, but if you piece it out separately it saves you about 100 bucks. The kit does not include the plastic filler piece I mentioned earlier.
I do have the skid plate ordered also. Looks like I need to go have a talk with the dealer parts dept.

Thanks Grace213!

*Adding, I am installing a warn winch also and using Warn's plate. That does come with brackets. I'll have to get everything and then probably sort it all out.

Grace213

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU
The filler piece is different between the plastic and steel bumper groups.

Sponsored

Grace213

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU
I do have the skid plate ordered also. Looks like I need to go have a talk with the dealer parts dept.

Thanks Grace213!

*Adding, I am installing a warn winch also and using Warn's plate. That does come with brackets. I'll have to get everything and then probably sort it all out.
Check this video from Trailrecon. It is what I used to install the steel bumper.

Watch "Jeep JL Winch and Bumper Install + Plastic Bumper Removal" on YouTube

Grace213

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU
Also if you are installing a winch the gap filler piece is not used so do not buy that from the dealer.

HeatBird

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retired
Also if you are installing a winch the gap filler piece is not used so do not buy that from the dealer.
Thank you again! I do believe I've watched that video, (a few times). I think he talks about the riv nuts.
And good I won't need the filler piece.

sk00pie

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Willys

Jeep Wrangler JL Mopar Stubby Bumper 47334C0A-0DDC-4702-A173-96EB237478C7
Any photos of your willys showing bumper? Curious how it would look on my sting will too
Sponsored