Mopar Service Insanity - Advice Please

Monkeyopolis

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler JL Sport, Subaru Ascent, Lexus NX
I took my Wrangler JL Sport in for service. I bought the Mopar LED kit and installed it, and wanted to take it in to get the system flashed to get them fully functional. Also had the electronic stability control message come up and I had some larger tires put on so I wanted them to adjust the speedometer. I wanted those three items resolved. Left the dealership with over a 1100.00 bill and only the headlights working the told me the speakers I had installed are causing the error codes(had the speakers installed by a reputable shop) and the electronic stability control message to come up. The stability control message came up prior to the install of the speakers. Am I crazy any advice on how to proceed? This is my first Jeep and it is by far my favorite vehicle I had ever owned. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. I have attached some pictures the dealership sent me.

Jeep3.jpg

Jeep4.jpg

Jeep2.jpg

jeep1.jpg
Sponsored

sbrimer

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023, 392 Rubicon XR
I read the notes that tech left. Did you install an after market amplifier?

OP
OP
Monkeyopolis

Monkeyopolis

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
No just swapped out the stock speakers, they looked though the Jeep and found a quote for a system install and thought it had been installed. Kind of weird

sbrimer

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023, 392 Rubicon XR
I encountered the same challenge when I took my 2020 JLU Rubicon with 7,000 miles in because I had the "Aux Switches not available battery charging" warning. The first thing I was told that I created an electrical problem because I replaced the small 3" upper dash speakers and the small 3" sound bar speakers. I used a wiring harness that plugged directly into the OEM harness and then to the speaker. No cutting of wires what so ever. They showed me where I had stored error codes for each speaker that was replaced and that created my problem. There is no way that created my problem and I told the service manager that my problem is a battery issue.

The reason I received an error code is because if a speaker is disconnected and then power is turned on, the "system" doesn't detect that a speaker is there, so it records a problem. I would turn on the vehicle each time I connected a speaker to ensure that it worked, so the "system" would not detect the missing speakers and record an error.

I bet the same thing has happened in your case.

I argued how insane they sounded and then I was asked when I was certified as Mopar Technician, I replied the same day you were certified to be an asshole. Needless to say it didn't work out well for me; at least not immediately.

In the end, when cooler heads prevailed, a different technician agreed with me and tested the battery. In my case, the battery was the problem.

I say all this to say, that many dealerships, including the one that I now will no longer go to (after being such as asshole, I'm probably not welcome there anyway), seem to find ANY small reason to deny warranty work and make customers battle and argue their cases.

OP
OP
Monkeyopolis

Monkeyopolis

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Thanks for the info - in more reading of the forums some folks have experienced the traction control warning with putting larger tires on. So I am unsure of what is causing it to happen, the speakers being installed after the warning came on makes me thing it is something else.

Sponsored

zeebo56

First Name
Zee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 jeep wrangler unlimited sport
Vehicle Showcase
Thanks for the info - in more reading of the forums some folks have experienced the traction control warning with putting larger tires on. So I am unsure of what is causing it to happen, the speakers being installed after the warning came on makes me thing it is something else.
Is your steering wheel centered after the larger tires?

I had the same warning when messing with my trackbar which uncentered the wheel. After adjusting the drag link to center the wheel the warning resolved.

OP
OP
Monkeyopolis

Monkeyopolis

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Yes it is centered - I installed new shocks and a steering stabilizer(Teraflex) as well. So not sure if that could be causing the issue. I got to stop making upgrades.

Windshieldfarmer

First Name
Randy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 JKU, 2020 JlU on order
The electronics in the wrangler are glitchy anyway. I’ve had to disconnect my battery twice during my nine months of ownership to do a “ hard reset”. One was for an inoperable push button start, the other for no sound system volume after remote start. All has been fine since the respective resets. Certainly not confidence inspiring. I have installed Auxilary lights through the factory 4 switch set up. I won’t touch anything else electrical because it gives dealers an excuse to deny warrant coverage. I love my Jeep but it won’t be a long term relationship. Bad dealers and temperamental electronics is a bad combo.
Sponsored