Advice on service contract or purchasing warranty

Rcash609

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Unlimited Sport
I got a JLU Sport Billet Silver last week and you know how they walk you in there and try to get you to get the extended warranty? Well long story short I ended up getting a service contract called Master Tech Ultra Plus. It added $999.00 to the amount financed, I am just wondering if anyone has any info or advice whether I should cancel it and get a refund and go with trying to purchase a warranty through Jeep themselves? Any help or insight would be appreciated. I will post a pic of what it’s suppose to cover, it’s says it’s a 48 month or 60,000 mile extended service plan,

C1A9339C-3F9F-4D06-B4C5-1D1C9DF7E1C7.jpeg

455ACEBF-58A2-47C9-9348-F218F4DD67F3.jpeg

1E11F28C-347E-48F9-9841-DC7C34D9BFFA.jpeg

1317D6DF-471B-4246-9092-D9B24FC537AC.jpeg
Sponsored

Flyguy81

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
Occupation
Pilot
I paid $2340 for a lifetime bumper to bumper. Do a search for warranty on this site and you’ll get lots of hits. Tom at Hayes Jeep has the best pricing on warranty’s.

Chocolate Thunder

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
Build Thread
Link
I have that Master Tech warranty on a 2015 Lexus we bought for my wife. I can’t says how good it is because we haven’t encountered a single problem as yet. I think it was about $1100 on a $45K vehicle. Ours covers 60 months and 100K miles.

dudemind

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JL Rubicon
I got a JLU Sport Billet Silver last week and you know how they walk you in there and try to get you to get the extended warranty? Well long story short I ended up getting a service contract called Master Tech Ultra Plus. It added $999.00 to the amount financed, I am just wondering if anyone has any info or advice whether I should cancel it and get a refund and go with trying to purchase a warranty through Jeep themselves? Any help or insight would be appreciated. I will post a pic of what it’s suppose to cover, it’s says it’s a 48 month or 60,000 mile extended service plan,

C1A9339C-3F9F-4D06-B4C5-1D1C9DF7E1C7.jpeg

455ACEBF-58A2-47C9-9348-F218F4DD67F3.jpeg

1E11F28C-347E-48F9-9841-DC7C34D9BFFA.jpeg

1317D6DF-471B-4246-9092-D9B24FC537AC.jpeg
48months/60k from in-service date? That's only a year beyond your standard bumper-to-bumper, though you do get some extra miles. I would imagine that the most expensive repairs in that time frame would likely be sudden and catastrophic powertrain failure, but you're covered on that already via the 60month/60k powertrain warranty from the factory.

Unless you're pretty sure you'll be close to 60k at some point prior to four years, this warranty doesn't make much sense. To really make sure you get your money's worth, you'd need a very specific failure that is:
  • After 36 months but before 48
  • Not powertrain-related
  • Specifically covered
  • Cost more than $1k
I don't think the particular warranty you purchased is worth it.

Last edited:

dudemind

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JL Rubicon
Also, while I don't condone fraudulent activity, I would say that the plan they sold you is pretty close to a scam, meaning (if you decide to keep it) maybe it's fair game to play them right back. Maybe you end up accidentally rolling over a couple nails, requiring new tires. Maybe you ride the brakes a lot and need those free pads. Maybe you stepped on your dirty old key and need that replacement. Maybe you run the battery down and need a new one. Maybe you need those new wipers (actually, that one is probably true in four years). And maybe all of this just happens to happen at, say, 40 months. You might be getting your money's worth if you take them up on all their one-time-only coverages. :P

Edit: maybe "scam" is too strong of a word. But certainly misleading...

Sponsored

OP
OP
Rcash609

Rcash609

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Unlimited Sport
Also, while I don't condone fraudulent activity, I would say that the plan they sold you is pretty close to a scam, meaning (if you decide to keep it) maybe it's fair game to play them right back. Maybe you end up accidentally rolling over a couple nails, requiring new tires. Maybe you ride the brakes a lot and need those free pads. Maybe you stepped on your dirty old key and need that replacement. Maybe you run the battery down and need a new one. Maybe you need those new wipers (actually, that one is probably true in four years). And maybe all of this just happens to happen at, say, 40 months. You might be getting your money's worth if you take them up on all their one-time-only coverages. :P

Edit: maybe "scam" is too strong of a word. But certainly misleading...
Thanks for the advice, I was thinking maybe the same thing, looking back I wish I would have waited before pulling the trigger and checked out a few more dealerships and would have probably gotten a better deal but I got tunnel vision and jumped right in, but that’s my mistake and you live and learn I think I may cancel this service contract and maybe purchase the lifetime warranty through jeep. Does that sound like a more beneficial alternative?

JLUSoCal

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Occupation
IT
Vehicle Showcase
Thanks for the advice, I was thinking maybe the same thing, looking back I wish I would have waited before pulling the trigger and checked out a few more dealerships and would have probably gotten a better deal but I got tunnel vision and jumped right in, but that’s my mistake and you live and learn I think I may cancel this service contract and maybe purchase the lifetime warranty through jeep. Does that sound like a more beneficial alternative?
Yes, get your money back and decide IF you want one and buy lifetime only if you want to keep for long enough to cover the add'l costs. I bought lifetime BUT I plan to keep it and use it (the Jeep that is... offroad). Don't let the current dealer sell you one - go to the one often suggested here as he has the best prices and was great to work with - Tom Winkles from Hayes Jeep.

Saejin

First Name
Gene
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR - Firecracker Red
Cancel it. I don’t think there will be enough issues that occur with your Jeep that will not be covered by the factory warranty that will exceed the cost of this warranty. In other words nothing will break that will cost you over $999 before this warranty expires.

You’d be better getting the lifetime IF you plan to keep it longer than 5-6 years or drive it beyond 60k miles. To be honest most people like myself say they will keep this thing forever, but life happens and things could change. One good thing about the maxcare is you can get a refund later if you trade it in or sell the Jeep.

Jrauck

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2006 Jeep Wrangler TJ
While not this specific company, I used another 3rd party warranty when I purchased my TJ. While it did pay for a few basic repairs, when I ended up actually having major engine problem(bent valve from timing belt breaking), they wouldn't fix it. They made an excuse that there was carbon build up, therefore for it was my fault. I talked to a few shops that specialize in jeeps and they all said that at the age of the jeep it was pretty much impossible to not have any carbon build up, and there's no way it was my fault. In other words they have a clause in the warranty that gets them out of many major costly problems.
I'm not saying this company will do the same, but multiple people I ng have talked to that have either owned one of these 3rd party warranties, or own shops say most of these warranty companies do the same thing.

OP
OP
Rcash609

Rcash609

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Unlimited Sport
While not this specific company, I used another 3rd party warranty when I purchased my TJ. While it did pay for a few basic repairs, when I ended up actually having major engine problem(bent valve from timing belt breaking), they wouldn't fix it. They made an excuse that there was carbon build up, therefore for it was my fault. I talked to a few shops that specialize in jeeps and they all said that at the age of the jeep it was pretty much impossible to not have any carbon build up, and there's no way it was my fault. In other words they have a clause in the warranty that gets them out of many major costly problems.
I'm not saying this company will do the same, but multiple people I ng have talked to that have either owned one of these 3rd party warranties, or own shops say most of these warranty companies do the same thing.
Yeah I think I will call Monday and cancel the service contract. I may end up trying to trade in for the scrambler when it comes out anyways.

Sponsored

That One Guy

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2004 Honda Accord coupe, V6 6-speed manual; ordered 2018 JL Sport 6MT with A/C and anti-spin. D status.
This is why I hate the idea of purchasing extra warranties and insurance for everything. You're adding a for-profit company to the mix, and they will come out on top overall. You can insure anything these days. That'll end up costing a lot of money, rather than just dealing with things yourself. And having shady companies tell you your claim isn't valid.
Sponsored