First Name
Ross
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JL Unlimited Rubicon Diesel
Occupation
Bad Mother Fucker
The Gladiator had available a front trail camera with trail guides that look like tire marks. I have read that the 2021 Wrangler will also have it available. I want to know if I can get it installed on my 2019 JLUR??

I don’t want the aftermarket one from Tazer.

anyone know if it’s possible?
If you get the 8.4” screen only it has the input for an additional front camera which can be added after market.

The option to add it from Mopar was $595 (camera only and requires 8.4” upgrade which is a lot more and seperare)
Sponsored

tatarin

First Name
Russ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 MOAB Mojito Sky One-Touch, 2015 Lexus RX350F-sport, 2005 Camry SE
Vehicle Showcase

GerJL

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
None
If you get the 8.4” screen only it has the input for an additional front camera which can be added after market.

The option to add it from Mopar was $595 (camera only and requires 8.4” upgrade which is a lot more and seperare)
and requires the LED package. So that $595 add the camera option is an additional $3190. Not bad huh, $3785 to add the camera for those that don't want the 8.4 and LED lighting group. Awesome deal (for FCA) for probably a $50 part and some wire.

I would go with something like this, however they don't seem to have it for the JL yet and not sure if it would work with the 7" screen. They have supported the JK for a while. I expect at some point they will support the JL and it adds a lot of additional capability for $500.

https://www.coastaletech.com/uconnectairv2.htm

Dmk679

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Rubicon 4Dr
I'm sorry if this was already mentioned. Do we know if there is additional hardware on the 21s to support the front camera, or is it a 8.4 software upgrade, or a combination of the two? I have the Tazer w front camera and the resolution is horrible.

Sponsored

OlderSpice

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep JLU Sport
I'm sorry if this was already mentioned. Do we know if there is additional hardware on the 21s to support the front camera, or is it a 8.4 software upgrade, or a combination of the two? I have the Tazer w front camera and the resolution is horrible.
I've been following a few threads about this topic and from what I recall, the '21 has: additional run of wiring harness, pump/res/hose for washer, data cable, camera, and mount that just doesn't exist on the '18-'20s. You can purchase and install everything except for the wiring harness (unless you replace the whole thing) and there hasn't been any DIY yet as the '21s are just hitting driveways.

As an aside, I know it's an aftermarket solution, but the Stinger head unit with PAC integration modules includes a second HD camera input with fakra connection (as well as an additional 3 RCA camera inputs) on the camera module.

Jeep Wrangler JL Mopar front trail camera rpa hd1

It was mentioned from a PAC rep in a video that they might be offering a camera solution themselves but, nothing definitive. Perhaps @Mike - Stinger Off-Road might have more input on that.

This option would allow full HD of the rear camera, on the fly swapping between cameras, and I'd imagine tread lines with all of the CAN bus integration.

And now thinking about it, you could probably DIY your own solution with the mopar camera and a power source with this module

JayJay

First Name
Johnny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 JLR
I have Gaia on the android but it doesn't work with the 8.4 screen as far as I know. Could be totally wrong.
You aren't wrong. Works great with Carplay but not Android Auto. Looks great on the 8.4 screen and makes me glad that my wife is an Apple user. Now, back to the scheduled programming.

Later,
Johnny

Yogi

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
Occupation
GM, P.Log, CITT, 310T
Would need an electrical engineer to confirm this, but why could you not simply buy a second rear camera, attach it to the grill, wire it into the rear camera harness and use an electronic switch to select the one you want?

Mike - Stinger Off-Road

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Website
stingeroffroad.com
Vehicle(s)
2006 LJ Rubicon, 2020 JLU Rubicon
Occupation
Automotive Electronics
I've been following a few threads about this topic and from what I recall, the '21 has: additional run of wiring harness, pump/res/hose for washer, data cable, camera, and mount that just doesn't exist on the '18-'20s. You can purchase and install everything except for the wiring harness (unless you replace the whole thing) and there hasn't been any DIY yet as the '21s are just hitting driveways.

As an aside, I know it's an aftermarket solution, but the Stinger head unit with PAC integration modules includes a second HD camera input with fakra connection (as well as an additional 3 RCA camera inputs) on the camera module.

Jeep Wrangler JL Mopar front trail camera rpa hd1

It was mentioned from a PAC rep in a video that they might be offering a camera solution themselves but, nothing definitive. Perhaps @Mike - Stinger Off-Road might have more input on that.

This option would allow full HD of the rear camera, on the fly swapping between cameras, and I'd imagine tread lines with all of the CAN bus integration.

And now thinking about it, you could probably DIY your own solution with the mopar camera and a power source with this module
Correct. The HEIGH10 JL integration kit includes connections for two factory cameras in full HD as well as up to 3 additional cameras via RCA cables. Stinger is working on a complete plug & play cameras package as well that will work seamlessly with the HEIGH10.

Sponsored

Mike - Stinger Off-Road

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Website
stingeroffroad.com
Vehicle(s)
2006 LJ Rubicon, 2020 JLU Rubicon
Occupation
Automotive Electronics
Would need an electrical engineer to confirm this, but why could you not simply buy a second rear camera, attach it to the grill, wire it into the rear camera harness and use an electronic switch to select the one you want?
Hey Michael,
To my knowledge, adding a backup camera to the front will be more of a pain than it's worth. The backup camera reverses the image, so mounting it as a forward facing option will show everything reversed on your screen.

Yogi

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
Occupation
GM, P.Log, CITT, 310T
Hey Michael,
To my knowledge, adding a backup camera to the front will be more of a pain than it's worth. The backup camera reverses the image, so mounting it as a forward facing option will show everything reversed on your screen.
Ahh ... makes sense. I was thinking back to a recent installation of a 2 channel BlackVue camera where we installed both cameras in the windshield of a Freightliner Cascadia. The camera setup sequence allowed us to reverse the image of rear facing camera to reflect properly from its front mount.

Frostbit

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Bikini JLUR 3.0 Diesel, '96 Dodge Cummins 12V, '06 Dodge Cummins Dually
absolutely not , all the vehicle monitoring cameras should be considered treason of highest degree to the true culture and spirit of off roading

They are needed on Pavement Princesses to help prevent accidentally driving over the concrete parking stops. :CWL:

twisty

First Name
bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Rubicon White
why not just buy one of those rear view mirror video deals for 100-250 and use the camera for the front instead of the rear, Also has the added benefit of video recording.

4xFUN

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 2-door Rubi. 2023 RAM TRX
As with many JL owners, I also am searching for a good solution for a front trail camera. Just can't bring myself to go the Tazer route with a grainy 480i image, still not convinced that the cargo camera input on the OEM 8.4 Uconnect will not accept something greater than 480i resolution...I also do not want any 'temporary' mount using an iPad, want a clean & clutter free install. Easiest solution would be for Mopar to offer a retro-kit which would allow switching between the backup camera and trail camera, doubt that will happen anytime soon if ever...

I did come across this HD FullVEU mirror from Brandmotion. Their website says it only works with their camera at this time but to check back for updates. I sent their technical support team an email asking what would be required for this to work with the OEM front trail camera, this would be an ideal solution for my needs if it can be made to work!

Jeep Wrangler JL Mopar front trail camera Screen Shot 2020-12-06 at 7.52.59 AM
Sponsored