Sponsored

InjectedCJ7

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR, 1978 CJ-7
just finished my aux switches up. That orange wire is super annoying. I ended up just cutting and splicing the wire instead of damaging the terminal further.

I Used the below J-Scan settings if anyone is interested.

Auxiliary Switch Bank Module Present On/Off = "Active"
Auxiliary Switches in CSM On/Off = "Switch 4 Option"
Auxiliary Switches On/Off = "Four"
Radio -> Auxiliary Switches On/Off = "Switch 4 option"
@eugeeezy,

I just finished my AUX switch install today. I donā€™t have a J-Scan or a Tazer, so I need to get one or the other to activate the switches. Iā€™m pretty sure my orange wires connected properly, and the install went fairly smooth, except of course for the damn firewall grommet situation. What a royal pain in the A$$ that was! I donā€™t have a specific need for a Tazer (yet), so I was thinking of getting J-Scan to get me up and running. Based on other comments, Iā€™ll check the fuses to make sure theyā€™re good. What exactly do I need to buy to use J-Scan?

Thanks,
John

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JL Rubi, '22 Prevost M H3-45,'01 Harley FatBoy
@eugeeezy,

I just finished my AUX switch install today. I donā€™t have a J-Scan or a Tazer, so I need to get one or the other to activate the switches. Iā€™m pretty sure my orange wires connected properly, and the install went fairly smooth, except of course for the damn firewall grommet situation. What a royal pain in the A$$ that was! I donā€™t have a specific need for a Tazer (yet), so I was thinking of getting J-Scan to get me up and running. Based on other comments, Iā€™ll check the fuses to make sure theyā€™re good. What exactly do I need to buy to use J-Scan?

Thanks,
John
@InjectedCJ7

In regard to what's needed for JSCAN..
https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/fo...and-gear-ratio-permanently.72379/post-1799635

InjectedCJ7

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR, 1978 CJ-7
Thanks Rhinebeck01,
So, if my math skills are correct, it looks like about $150 for the J-Scan setup, and about $330 for a Tazer Mini. I donā€™t think the Tazer Lite will take care of my AUX switch install, but not totally sure. I donā€™t need all the features of the Tazer at this time, but Iā€™m leaning towards the ā€˜Buy once, cry onceā€™ theory of Jeep purchasesā€¦ Do you prefer one over the other?

Regards,
John

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JL Rubi, '22 Prevost M H3-45,'01 Harley FatBoy
Thanks Rhinebeck01,
So, if my math skills are correct, it looks like about $150 for the J-Scan setup, and about $330 for a Tazer Mini. I donā€™t think the Tazer Lite will take care of my AUX switch install, but not totally sure. I donā€™t need all the features of the Tazer at this time, but Iā€™m leaning towards the ā€˜Buy once, cry onceā€™ theory of Jeep purchasesā€¦ Do you prefer one over the other?

Regards,
John
@InjectedCJ7

I'm a long time user of the Tazer JL... (since it first hit the market) and yes, I do also use JSCAN.

Remember, if you go with a Tazer JL Mini, that someday after you blow off /sell your JL, that you will be able to easily sell the Tazer JL Mini for about 70% +- of what you paid for it. You'll re-coop much of what you paid for it...

With JSCAN you will be able to sell the hardware you used with it after you sell your JL, (or use that hardware with another brand vehicle) but the $ return on that hardware will be markedly less.

While I do like JSCAN, I usually tell guys to go with the Tazer JL Mini.

(You will need the Mini to enable your Aux)

Why.... Tazer JL Mini .... because of the resale thing mentioned above .... and that the Tazer JL Mini deals with ESS which JSCAN does not.. these are just a couple of the reasons why I say Tazer JL Mini.

Also should mention that most forum guys have a Tazer JL Mini, so you have lots of hand holding from those users and of course, Joe at ZAutomotive is a terrific hand holder also..

Anyway, I'd say especially if you want to deal with ESS.... to go with the Tazer JL Mini.

Do know that I am not all anti JSCAN. JSCAN is a very good app and Tech support out of Poland for it is not bad at all. Of course the $ outlay for the necessary hardware to use JSCAN is little compared to the Tazer JL Mini. JSCAN can get a lot done for a JL/JT owner...

I myself actually like using the JSCAN app versus button presses on the steering wheel that you do in regard to the Tazer JL Mini...

If you do your homework, you will learn that a BIG PLUS of using JSCAN is that you do not have to unmarry (because with JSCAN you do not marry) in certain instances whereas with the Tazer JL you have to.. Not having to unmarry is often a big deal..

Ok, a lot of yada yada from me ... but I'd say if you can swing the $ for a Tazer JL Mini, that you go with a Tazer JL Mini. With it, also buy the Security Gateway Extension cable from ZAutomotive.

Just know that going with the Tazer JL Mini means that you have to accept / resign yourself to the idea that you need to unmarry the Tazer JL Mini at times.. and to remove the Tazer JL Mini.

Note.... a guy that runs/rocks both a Tazer JL Mini and uses JSCAN both can have the best of both worlds lets say.. Yes, you can use both concurrently..

Sponsored

InjectedCJ7

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR, 1978 CJ-7
@InjectedCJ7

I'm a long time user of the Tazer JL... (since it first hit the market) and yes, I do also use JSCAN.

Remember, if you go with a Tazer JL Mini, that someday after you blow off /sell your JL, that you will be able to easily sell the Tazer JL Mini for about 70% +- of what you paid for it. You'll re-coop much of what you paid for it...

With JSCAN you will be able to sell the hardware you used with it after you sell your JL, (or use that hardware with another brand vehicle) but the $ return on that hardware will be markedly less.

While I do like JSCAN, I usually tell guys to go with the Tazer JL Mini.

(You will need the Mini to enable your Aux)

Why.... Tazer JL Mini .... because of the resale thing mentioned above .... and that the Tazer JL Mini deals with ESS which JSCAN does not.. these are just a couple of the reasons why I say Tazer JL Mini.

Also should mention that most forum guys have a Tazer JL Mini, so you have lots of hand holding from those users and of course, Joe at ZAutomotive is a terrific hand holder also..

Anyway, I'd say especially if you want to deal with ESS.... to go with the Tazer JL Mini.

Do know that I am not all anti JSCAN. JSCAN is a very good app and Tech support out of Poland for it is not bad at all. Of course the $ outlay for the necessary hardware to use JSCAN is little compared to the Tazer JL Mini. JSCAN can get a lot done for a JL/JT owner...

I myself actually like using the JSCAN app versus button presses on the steering wheel that you do in regard to the Tazer JL Mini...

If you do your homework, you will learn that a BIG PLUS of using JSCAN is that you do not have to unmarry (because with JSCAN you do not marry) in certain instances whereas with the Tazer JL you have to.. Not having to unmarry is often a big deal..

Ok, a lot of yada yada from me ... but I'd say if you can swing the $ for a Tazer JL Mini, that you go with a Tazer JL Mini. With it, also buy the Security Gateway Extension cable from ZAutomotive.

Just know that going with the Tazer JL Mini means that you have to accept / resign yourself to the idea that you need to unmarry the Tazer JL Mini at times.. and to remove the Tazer JL Mini.

Note.... a guy that runs/rocks both a Tazer JL Mini and uses JSCAN both can have the best of both worlds lets say.. Yes, you can use both concurrently..

Thank you for your detailed explanation. Much appreciated! I think Iā€™m leaning towards the Tazer JL Mini, at this point.

Regards,
John

omnitonic

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Willys in Sarge Green
Occupation
truck driver
Thank you for your detailed explanation. Much appreciated! I think Iā€™m leaning towards the Tazer JL Mini, at this point.
Mine has been sitting in a box ever since I got set up with J-Scan, and I'm still reeling from unexpected expenses in December kicking my ass. I would love to trade my unused dongle for some pocket money.

As to the aux switches, I had trouble with the orange wire too, but the big kicker was the connector I had to assemble. I screwed it all up, and had to resort to a dramatic and permanent solution, which I documented on here somewhere. Basically, I found that my Jeep already had the right connector, but it wasn't wired to anything. I cut it out of the factory wiring harness, and spliced it onto my butchered aux wiring harness with all the broken pins. All's well that ends well.

Trk3263

First Name
T2
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler JLUR
Mine has been sitting in a box ever since I got set up with J-Scan, and I'm still reeling from unexpected expenses in December kicking my ass. I would love to trade my unused dongle for some pocket money.

As to the aux switches, I had trouble with the orange wire too, but the big kicker was the connector I had to assemble. I screwed it all up, and had to resort to a dramatic and permanent solution, which I documented on here somewhere. Basically, I found that my Jeep already had the right connector, but it wasn't wired to anything. I cut it out of the factory wiring harness, and spliced it onto my butchered aux wiring harness with all the broken pins. All's well that ends well.
these are what I have and recommend for JSCAN
Vgate vLinker MC+ Bluetooth OBD2... https://www.amazon.com/dp/B088LW211V?ref=ppx_pop_mob_ap_share

ECRI Security Gateway Bypass... https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08DLB6VH6?ref=ppx_pop_mob_ap_share

And the JSCAN app. I originally bought the cheaper OBD2 but returned it and got the MC+ so I can make changes to the radio if needed in the future. The lower none MC+ canā€™t make changes to the radio from what the app says. Not real sure if I will need this in the future or not but decided more options will last longer in the future.

OP
OP

ElDoc72

First Name
Rogelio
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler unlimited Sport S
So finally this week I got my auxiliary switches work. I had to reseat the pins at the connector and push the housing together to make sure the switches box was closed properly (another thread published a Jeep notice to tech about it) and it finally worked.

And I got the answer to my original question, the lettering on the switches lights up like any other button on the dash when the headlights are on. The orange led lights up when the switches are activated.

Cheers

B40FD8F1-1888-4288-B4B2-75E5E37388B3.jpeg

8EC9441D-3E18-40D0-B320-0FB52F8F7D11.jpeg

Daa03c

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep JT
I have been following your thread for this specific answer but did the back light turn on as soon as the wiring was complete or after you programmed the buttons?

Sponsored

OP
OP

ElDoc72

First Name
Rogelio
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler unlimited Sport S
I have been following your thread for this specific answer but did the back light turn on as soon as the wiring was complete or after you programmed the buttons?
It turned on after programming the buttons.

Kcp100365

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler Unlimited Sport
I have JScan - after using it with the settings described here, it appears that my buttons aren't working - or powered. As with others, I just spliced the orange together b/c of the pin debacle. Does the programming work after just 1 attempt or is two needed? I think I read somewhere that some people have had to try it twice. I have also reset the ECU's after the programming I followed on this thread. I have a voltmeter i can check power at the orange wire - should it be 12v there?

I have tried pushing all 4 buttons with no lights - just in the event a missed or screwed up seating a pin in the connector at the dash.

Since these should be controlled by the radio as well - I never saw an option listed there either. I assume it should be listed under 'Options'?

any help is appreciated.
Sponsored