ElDoc72

First Name
Rogelio
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler unlimited Sport S
Hi everyone,

I just recently installed the mopar aux switches into my sport jl, and I have not taken the jeep to the dealer to have them added as an option to the system yet.

However, I did noticed that at night time when I turn on the headlights and the dash and other switches light up, the aux switch remains dark. Is that normal?
Should they light up even if they are not active yet? should they light up once activated?

Thanks!
Sponsored

AcesandEights

First Name
Aces
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Jeep Rubicon 2D, with extra guacamole
Occupation
I'm often occupied, by many things, often at the same time
Normal.

Light up when you push the button.

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JL Rubi, '22 Prevost M H3-45,'01 Harley FatBoy
Hi everyone,

I just recently installed the mopar aux switches into my sport jl, and I have not taken the jeep to the dealer to have them added as an option to the system yet.

However, I did noticed that at night time when I turn on the headlights and the dash and other switches light up, the aux switch remains dark. Is that normal?
Should they light up even if they are not active yet? should they light up once activated?

Thanks!
@ElDoc72

Aux switch buttons do not light up at night unless they are in use.

After you do the install and before you add Aux to your "system" as you call it, each button will light up when pushed...... Yes, even if no goodie has been attached to the Aux switch.

Do know that for about $75 you can activate Aux yourself. No need to pay a dealer $125+.
Forum research, JSCAN. Or you can buy a Tazer JL Mini and do the deedn for lots $ more...

GATORB8

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLURe
To clarify, the letters aren't backlit. The little LED lights up when they are activated.

OP
OP

ElDoc72

First Name
Rogelio
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
@ElDoc72

Aux switch buttons do not light up at night unless they are in use.

After you do the install and before you add Aux to your "system" as you call it, each button will light up when pushed...... Yes, even if no goodie has been attached to the Aux switch.

Do know that for about $75 you can activate Aux yourself. No need to pay a dealer $125+.
Forum research, JSCAN. Or you can buy a Tazer JL Mini and do the deedn for lots $ more...

Good to know. I asked my local dealer how much he would charge for activating the switches and he said around $30 to $50. I hope it's true. I've looked into the tazer JL and JSCAN, but I haven't taken the jump yet. My jeep is extremely stock, with the aux switch the first thing that I've added.
Cheers!

Sponsored

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JL Rubi, '22 Prevost M H3-45,'01 Harley FatBoy
Good to know. I asked my local dealer how much he would charge for activating the switches and he said around $30 to $50. I hope it's true. I've looked into the tazer JL and JSCAN, but I haven't taken the jump yet. My jeep is extremely stock, with the aux switch the first thing that I've added.
Cheers!
@ElDoc72

Never heard of any dealer doing the deed for $30 to $50. Whomever told you that is guessing/clueless... Unless the dealer is going to eat some of the cost. Occasionally they will.

omnitonic

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Willys in Sarge Green
Occupation
truck driver
Cheers!
It may be worth getting a dealer to make this particular change, so he can add the option to the VIN. I never got around to doing that. I just turned them on with J-Scan. I'm going to ask about having the VIN coded or whatever whenever I take it to a dealership for something else.

If you do want to take the plunge, I started with a Tazer JL Mini, and then I got J-Scan. I never use the Tazer, and I should probably sell it.

DavidArmen

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR
It may be worth getting a dealer to make this particular change, so he can add the option to the VIN. I never got around to doing that. I just turned them on with J-Scan. I'm going to ask about having the VIN coded or whatever whenever I take it to a dealership for something else.

If you do want to take the plunge, I started with a Tazer JL Mini, and then I got J-Scan. I never use the Tazer, and I should probably sell it.
Im curious why you bought the Jscan when you had the tazer. More features?

omnitonic

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Willys in Sarge Green
Occupation
truck driver
Im curious why you bought the Jscan when you had the tazer. More features?
I need to turn on the aux switches, set the tire size, and set the final drive ratio.

With Tazer, first I marry it, then I change all those settings. If I take the Jeep to a dealership, I'm supposed to un-marry it, and revert all those settings to stock. When I get the Jeep back from the dealer, I have to marry the Tazer again, and then go change all those settings again. To be on the safe side, I was also doing the un-marry/marry thing to update the firmware on the Tazer itself. That is a whole lot of wading through menus changing the same settings again and again and again.

With J-Scan, you change stuff, and for better or worse, it's changed, and it stays changed. If there are any settings you really want to hide from your dealership, you just have to juggle that manually.

I simply prefer the J-Scan method of handling all this. I could, in principle, use both of them. The Tazer will be less annoying now that I have permanently changed the hard settings with J-Scan. In practice, I've never plugged it back in. I should probably just sell it, and let someone get some use out of it. It's not useless or bad, I simply prefer J-Scan.

Trk3263

First Name
T2
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler JLUR
How was your Aux switch install and what did you pay for the switches and all the wiring? I would prefer to do that to mine but may go aftermarket if to much a pain.

Sponsored

OP
OP

ElDoc72

First Name
Rogelio
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
How was your Aux switch install and what did you pay for the switches and all the wiring? I would prefer to do that to mine but may go aftermarket if to much a pain.
I believed I paid $225 for the switches and wiring (everything comes in the package). The install was not complicated but tedious. Fishing the wires through the firewall was annoying as the harness is much bigger than the coat hanger and they kept sliding off the wire. You also have to be careful when attaching the connectors (some pins don't latch as they are supposed to on the first try).

There is that orange wire that needs to be removed from a connector and transferred to one of the provided connectors to interface the switches to the computer bus and that gave me trouble. It didn't connect properly and gave me an error with the Start/Stop system. I ended up removing the single connector and splicing the wires directly.

All I have left to do is flash the computer to have it recognize the switches.... I'll get to it hopefully next week.

Trk3263

First Name
T2
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler JLUR
I believed I paid $225 for the switches and wiring (everything comes in the package). The install was not complicated but tedious. Fishing the wires through the firewall was annoying as the harness is much bigger than the coat hanger and they kept sliding off the wire. You also have to be careful when attaching the connectors (some pins don't latch as they are supposed to on the first try).

There is that orange wire that needs to be removed from a connector and transferred to one of the provided connectors to interface the switches to the computer bus and that gave me trouble. It didn't connect properly and gave me an error with the Start/Stop system. I ended up removing the single connector and splicing the wires directly.

All I have left to do is flash the computer to have it recognize the switches.... I'll get to it hopefully next week.
Where did you find the switches for that cheap? Lowest I found it from Bam for $295

OP
OP

ElDoc72

First Name
Rogelio
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Where did you find the switches for that cheap? Lowest I found it from Bam for $295
I got them from someone on FB marketplace. I’ve seen them here on the forum’s marketplace sometimes at around $250.

GATORB8

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLURe

I had similar issues with the evil orange wire.

eugeeezy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLR
just finished my aux switches up. That orange wire is super annoying. I ended up just cutting and splicing the wire instead of damaging the terminal further.

I Used the below J-Scan settings if anyone is interested.

Auxiliary Switch Bank Module Present On/Off = "Active"
Auxiliary Switches in CSM On/Off = "Switch 4 Option"
Auxiliary Switches On/Off = "Four"
Radio -> Auxiliary Switches On/Off = "Switch 4 option"
Sponsored