Modification needed if installing Genesis dual battery system in 4xe

SnB4xe

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler High Altitude 4xe
This has me wondering why the 4xe comes with a standard battery. I would think a deep cycle battery is a better fit since there is no starter motor.
We have the tow package in our Jeep so I think that comes with a slightly higher capacity LVB. When out camping, I have run our Dometic CF50 for 3 days without any issues. Still plenty of power available to start the EV systems and if not, I carry a jumper pack powerful enough to fire up the computers and bring the HVB online. I have one of these in each of my EVs.

https://www.dontwasteyourmoney.com/products/gooloo-quick-car-jump-starter-and-charger/
Sponsored

Senrusho

First Name
Sam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler 4xE Robicon
Thank you so much for the info! I really appreciate the feedback! Great job on the modification. I will see about getting one of these into our shop for measurements and see if we can produce a simple bracket to address this for the 4xe guys.
This is why I always say we have the best customers!
-Shane
Shane,

Have you guys been able to do this? I will be ordering soon, and I dont see a 4xe specific option on the site. Should I wait, or just order the standard JL kit and do the modification from this thread?

Genesis Offroad

Rock Sponsor (Level 1)
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 JK Rubicon, '18 JL Rubicon, '21 JT Rubicon
Shane,

Have you guys been able to do this? I will be ordering soon, and I dont see a 4xe specific option on the site. Should I wait, or just order the standard JL kit and do the modification from this thread?
I haven't had an opportunity to get a 4xe in the shop yet, although my sister just bought one, so I'll try to get hers over here for a visit.
Based on my understanding so far, I think you can just use some heavy duty zip ties to secure that loose piece up to the bottom side of our new battery tray. I'll try to get a more elegant solution when time allows. I'm currently eyeballs deep working on the diesel JL right now.

Senrusho

First Name
Sam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I haven't had an opportunity to get a 4xe in the shop yet, although my sister just bought one, so I'll try to get hers over here for a visit.
Based on my understanding so far, I think you can just use some heavy duty zip ties to secure that loose piece up to the bottom side of our new battery tray. I'll try to get a more elegant solution when time allows. I'm currently eyeballs deep working on the diesel JL right now.
You guys aren't that far from me. I would be happy to bring mine down!

OP
OP
Jeeperz Kreeperz

Jeeperz Kreeperz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR 4xe
@Senrusho, I’m not sure that this approach will work:

Based on my understanding so far, I think you can just use some heavy duty zip ties to secure that loose piece up to the bottom side of our new battery tray.
When I had mine apart, with the OEM battery tray and fuse panel removed, those coolant parts (circled in blue in picture below) that are looking for a place to mount to, are connected to coolant lines (see green arrows in pic below). There isn’t much play in those coolant lines. My original plan was to simply drill 3 holes in the bottom of the Genesis tray, and bolt the parts to the bottom of the Genesis tray, using some bolts with low-profile heads. But when I pulled on those coolant parts to lift it up to the height of the Genesis tray, it was placing too much strain on the coolant lines. That little coolant pump (or whatever that thing is), naturally wants to sit a few inches below the Genesis tray. That’s why my solution involved bending that DIY bracket a couple of times to create a space between the Genesis tray, and the coolant parts that I was supporting.

So, I don’t think you’d be able to snug up a heavy duty zip tie to bring the coolant parts up to the bottom of the Genesis battery tray. And while a large, heavy-duty zip tie could certainly support the weight of those parts as a temporary fix, I wouldn’t want them bouncing around as a permanent solution.

That having been said, maybe there’s another spot that I didn’t see - where you could secure those parts.

Here’s that pic:
Jeep Wrangler JL Modification needed if installing Genesis dual battery system in 4xe A460080A-695A-4F38-855D-476C7109D0D1

Sponsored

Genesis Offroad

Rock Sponsor (Level 1)
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
@Senrusho, I’m not sure that this approach will work:

When I had mine apart, with the OEM battery tray and fuse panel removed, those coolant parts (circled in blue in picture below) that are looking for a place to mount to, are connected to coolant lines (see green arrows in pic below). There isn’t much play in those coolant lines. My original plan was to simply drill 3 holes in the bottom of the Genesis tray, and bolt the parts to the bottom of the Genesis tray, using some bolts with low-profile heads. But when I pulled on those coolant parts to lift it up to the height of the Genesis tray, it was placing too much strain on the coolant lines. That little coolant pump (or whatever that thing is), naturally wants to sit a few inches below the Genesis tray. That’s why my solution involved bending that DIY bracket a couple of times to create a space between the Genesis tray, and the coolant parts that I was supporting.

So, I don’t think you’d be able to snug up a heavy duty zip tie to bring the coolant parts up to the bottom of the Genesis battery tray. And while a large, heavy-duty zip tie could certainly support the weight of those parts as a temporary fix, I wouldn’t want them bouncing around as a permanent solution.

That having been said, maybe there’s another spot that I didn’t see - where you could secure those parts.

Here’s that pic:
Jeep Wrangler JL Modification needed if installing Genesis dual battery system in 4xe A460080A-695A-4F38-855D-476C7109D0D1
Great info, thank you for the clarification!

OP
OP
Jeeperz Kreeperz

Jeeperz Kreeperz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR 4xe
Here’s another pic that shows the height differential. This is the DIY bracket, with coolant parts mounted, just prior to me putting the Genesis tray in. I’ve marked the height of the bottom of the Genesis tray with a blue arrow, and the height of the coolant parts with a red arrow. I can’t recall exactly, but I’d guess it was a 3“ or 4” difference in height.
Jeep Wrangler JL Modification needed if installing Genesis dual battery system in 4xe 23288C32-0B6E-4C71-9706-E3DF652126F5

Genesis Offroad

Rock Sponsor (Level 1)
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Here’s another pic that shows the height differential. This is the DIY bracket, with coolant parts mounted, just prior to me putting the Genesis tray in. I’ve marked the height of the bottom of the Genesis tray with a blue arrow, and the height of the coolant parts with a red arrow. I can’t recall exactly, but I’d guess it was a 3“ or 4” difference in height.
Jeep Wrangler JL Modification needed if installing Genesis dual battery system in 4xe 23288C32-0B6E-4C71-9706-E3DF652126F5
That's a lot lower in there than I was thinking. I was picturing it just barely below the tray. Thanks again!

OP
OP
Jeeperz Kreeperz

Jeeperz Kreeperz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR 4xe
That's a lot lower in there than I was thinking. I was picturing it just barely below the tray. Thanks again!
You’re welcome.

Yeah, I thought the same thing. I was all convinced I could secure it to the bottom of the tray, then when the coolant lines didn’t reach, I had to go to plan “B” with that bracket.

The deceiving thing is those coolant parts mount to the bottom of the OEM battery tray - so logically, one thinks the Genesis tray should be roughly the same height. But I think the issue is Jeep uses the same battery tray in the 4xe, that they use in the non 4xe Wranglers that have a small auxiliary battery under the main battery. That small aux battery resides in a recessed area of that tray that sits a few inches lower than the base where the main battery sits. Even though the 4xe doesn’t have a small aux battery under the hood, it does have the same OEM battery tray with that recessed area in it, and that’s why those coolant parts have to sit a few inches lower than the Genesis tray.

Last edited:

Senrusho

First Name
Sam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
You’re welcome.

Yeah, I thought the same thing. I was all convinced I could secure it to the bottom of the tray, then when the coolant lines didn’t reach, I had to go to plan “B” with that bracket.

The deceiving thing is those coolant parts mount to the bottom of the OEM battery tray - so logically, one thinks the Genesis tray should be roughly the same height. But I think the issue is Jeep uses the same battery tray in the 4xe, that they use in the non 4xe Wranglers that have a small auxiliary battery under the main battery. That small aux battery resides in a recessed area of that tray that sits a few inches lower than the base where the main battery sits. Even though the 4xe doesn’t have a small aux battery under the hood, it does have the same OEM battery tray with that recessed area in it, and that’s why those coolant parts have to sit a few inches lower than the Genesis tray.
Jeeperz Kreeperz,

I installed my kit today and did exactly what you outlined to do with that leftover bracket. It worked perfectly and my kit is in, with the coolant lines (the pedestrian warning speaker is also attached to that bracket those coolant lines are on for some reason) supported. Thank you so much for your help, and very thorough documentation.

Shane,

It should be crazy easy to fab a bracket to support those lines. Something that sandwiched between the tray and the firewall (using those same two studs the tray uses) and just stuck out a bit with 2-3 holes in to bolt up the lines would be perfect.

Thanks all!!

Sponsored

Slate

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'97 Wrangler Sport, '23 Rubi 4XE
Sorry for the necro, but I have a 4XE and was curious if this has been addressed. I didn't see any specific 4xe "mod" or part called out on the website, so wasn't sure if there was a fix or if we are supposed to make our own mount?

Senrusho

First Name
Sam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I don't think it has been. I asked Shane when I met him at overland expo last year and he said that he couldnt get his sisters Jeep in (I think she moved? I cant remember)

It really is an easy fix to do the Jeeperz Kreeperz bracket mod though.

I should report however that I am currently not 100% sure I would do it again if I had it to do over again. I had anexperience last weekend where I was camping in a shaded area where my solar panels were no help for a weekend and my starter battery somehow got drained down to 8.8 volts. I have not called Genesis yet for help on the issue, and it may be something wrong with just my unit, or perhaps something solved with the new updated generation of their product as I have the previous gen. I intend to call them today so I'll report back.

Slate

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Thanks for the info, I appreciate it!
I probably should have tagged Genesis so they see it. My only concern on the mod that @Jeeperz Kreeperz did is that it looks like it is only supported on that one side? I am sure the metal is strong enough to hold it, but didn't know if it was held up on the other side or not.

Seems like an "easy" thing to have three holes or mounts included on the battery tray so that part can screw in. If you don't have a 4xe then you wouldn't have to mess with it, but I am no engineer.

Slate

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ok, looking at the photo a little closer, I see two bolts on one side of the "arm" and another on the other side. (That fin-looking piece.) So that looks like the coolant parts are centered, which means it shouldn't flop around or bounce as I had originally suspected.
Sponsored