Vehicle(s)
2022 rubicon 4xe
Why on earth would you install a second 12v battery in a 4xe

Slate

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'97 Wrangler Sport, '23 Rubi 4XE
Same reason as a non-4Xe? Especially one with aftermarket stuff like lights, winch, and compressor?

(In my case, I am working on a separate issue with my 12V in my 4xe. I need that resolved, before I would consider something like this, but I am curious either way.)

Bzinsky

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 rubicon 4xe
Same reason as a non-4Xe? Especially one with aftermarket stuff like lights, winch, and compressor?
The 4xe already has a 2nd battery, and it’s about 30x the size

Slate

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I am not an expert, but I can tell you that the HV battery does not charge the 12V battery - not in the way that one might think. The accessories are tied to the 12V battery (as they are 12V rated of course). So I wouldn't necessarily assume that accessories that are plugged into the 12V battery would be able to tap into the HV battery and run for days.

Happy to be educated as I am still learning the full capability.

I understand that the '24 4XE will have the option to have a distribution box plugged into the port and run external devices, which is pretty dang cool.

Sponsored

Slate

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)

Senrusho

First Name
Sam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler 4xE Robicon
I don't think it has been. I asked Shane when I met him at overland expo last year and he said that he couldnt get his sisters Jeep in (I think she moved? I cant remember)

It really is an easy fix to do the Jeeperz Kreeperz bracket mod though.

I should report however that I am currently not 100% sure I would do it again if I had it to do over again. I had anexperience last weekend where I was camping in a shaded area where my solar panels were no help for a weekend and my starter battery somehow got drained down to 8.8 volts. I have not called Genesis yet for help on the issue, and it may be something wrong with just my unit, or perhaps something solved with the new updated generation of their product as I have the previous gen. I intend to call them today so I'll report back.

I called genesis today and they were very helpful. I am going to try some of the troubleshooting steps I talked through with them today but I think I either have bad cranking battery or my solenoid is stuck open. Either way I should be covered by their warranty or the battery warranty depending on the issue.

BigMaCro

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU 4xe Rubicon, 2004 WJ
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Carhauler
Vehicle Showcase
I called genesis today and they were very helpful. I am going to try some of the troubleshooting steps I talked through with them today but I think I either have bad cranking battery or my solenoid is stuck open. Either way I should be covered by their warranty or the battery warranty depending on the issue.
The high voltage battery cranks /starts the engine. The 12 volt battery does not start the engine. It just powers the computers and accessories. Likewise, the engine does not have an alternator to charge the batteries. That is done by the high voltage battery via dc/dc battery charger.

Senrusho

First Name
Sam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler 4xE Robicon
The high voltage battery cranks /starts the engine. The 12 volt battery does not start the engine. It just powers the computers and accessories. Likewise, the engine does not have an alternator to charge the batteries. That is done by the high voltage battery via dc/dc battery charger.

Yes, I am aware. It still wont start if you only have 9v on the 12v battery.

Slate

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Installed my Genesis system today in my 4xe. My metalworking skills are no match for Jeeperz Kreeperz, took me the most time of the day using my vice, hammer and dead blow to even get close to the right bends. I really wish Genesis would have some kind of adapter or mount for those 4xe coolant pumps. I would have gladly paid $50 for some properly bent or fabricated metal.

Major thanks to Kreeperz for the photos and how-to, just wish I had bent that plate better to look as good as the one he did.

I was able to secure that pump with one of the bolts and it felt solid enough.

I will have to extend the wiring from my ARB compressor, but I knew that going in. I also have the G screen to install and trying to figure out the best spot.

All in all, I am happy with the Genesis system and really happy with the Odyssey batteries. Just wish that bracket, or better yet the Genesis tray, was better suited to mount that pump as how the original tray holds it.

BigMaCro

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU 4xe Rubicon, 2004 WJ
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Carhauler
Vehicle Showcase
I finally got all the parts for running power to the cargo area with 2 awg wire. I'll have the option for adding a battery in the future. I'll be mounting my air compressor in the cubby under the floor and there should be room for a battery next to it. I've got a couple inches extra of elevation above that compartment due to my cargo floor conversion. In the end it would be like the genesis system but separated.
Sponsored