Amaruq

Amaruq

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLR 6spd
Well that sucks, but there will still be a lot to see and enjoy. :fist bump:

Staying over the weekend?
The good thing is you can get to the Summit and over to the old tomboy mining town and then head back to Ouray/Yankee Boy.
we arrive to the area Monday night and we are heading out Friday morning the 18th. Girlfriend only had 4 days of pto. :\
Sponsored

Krondor

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JL - Punk'n Edition
Build Thread
Link
The good thing is you can get to the Summit and over to the old tomboy mining town and then head back to Ouray/Yankee Boy.
we arrive to the area Monday night and we are heading out Friday morning the 18th. Girlfriend only had 4 days of pto. :\
Terrible. I'll just miss ya!

Well we will be doing the 4 day tour ourselves. So enjoy what you can. Be sure to try the beer at the Ouray Brewery. Great view from their top deck. Love that town.

OP
OP
Amaruq

Amaruq

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLR 6spd
Terrible. I'll just miss ya!

Well we will be doing the 4 day tour ourselves. So enjoy what you can. Be sure to try the beer at the Ouray Brewery. Great view from their top deck. Love that town.
You’ve been before? I’m debating waiting to skid my diffs until my Moab trip next month. I’m not doing Poughkeepsie or Mineral Creek so just thinking I don’t need them for the popular passes.

DV LAWYER

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU Rubicon
Awesome, getting ready now to hit Imogene, then gonna turn around, take Black Bear to Telluride. Tomorrow is the long slog back to Texas. Yay.

Sponsored

Krondor

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
You’ve been before? I’m debating waiting to skid my diffs until my Moab trip next month. I’m not doing Poughkeepsie or Mineral Creek so just thinking I don’t need them for the popular passes.

Yeah, I was there last year but this time we don't have a plan other than to take our time and look around a bit more. Love to explore.

You won't really need skids on the popular passes IMHO.

OP
OP
Amaruq

Amaruq

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLR 6spd
Yeah, I was there last year but this time we don't have a plan other than to take our time and look around a bit more. Love to explore.

You won't really need skids on the popular passes IMHO.
That’s awesome. That’s what we plan on doing too. Much needed time off (my first vacation in seven years).

Krondor

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
That’s awesome. That’s what we plan on doing too. Much needed time off (my first vacation in seven years).
Wow

Needs some work/life balance reevaluation time for sure! :beer::fist bump:

OP
OP
Amaruq

Amaruq

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLR 6spd
Stopped in OKC for the night to recharge. Love this tailgate table!
Jeep Wrangler JL Moab - October? Ouray - September? 4CBF7106-FA7A-4A9C-B87D-B0024D83A2F9

thrasher949

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JK
New to the site.

Wife and I will be in Moab 6-10 Sept, then heading to Ouray 10-13 Sept. We just bought our Jeep, so it's still on paper tags, and thought, "Hell, no better way to break it in than to head to Moab."

I've made some mods, and I think i'm done before the trip. I wish I would have gotten a winch and some recovery equipment, but I'm trying to stick to the easy stuff so I'll do my best to not get stuck.

If yall will be there, here are the trails we plan on hitting:
  • Shafer Trail
  • Gemini Bridges
  • Top of the World
  • Onion Creek
  • Fins and Things
Any info, pointers, etc., would be greatly appreciated!
Just finished 7 days in Ouray and Moab.

Ouray- watch the weather, just got a crazy snow dump way early. I got black bear pass in then it dumped about a foot of snow. All of the passes and alpine loop were not passable. Had to do lower elevation trails for 2 days. basically Silverton area is lower elevation. Got in Animas Forks, drove up to bridal falls to take some friend from telluride. Last day warmer, got in Portland mine, yankee boy basin, 1/2 of ophire.

moab I only got a day and a half in.
Fins and things was my fav by far, but lots of people on the trail. Still completed in 2 hours, and it’s right near town.

onion creek is cool, not challenging at all. We decided to continue onto Thompson canyon and go around the mountain and come down castle valley road. That took from 9-1pm. You can go left to rose canyon to top of the world but it’s pretty rough trail to get there. Read up on that one.

I tried to do chicken corners but didn’t realize how long the trail is to get there. By the time you get down Hurrah pass you are already on the trail almost 2 hours, and it’s another 2 hours to get to the end of chicken corners. This trail is basically a full days commitment for in and back ride.

hope that helps.

Sponsored

MichaelAnthony

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Rubicon JLUR, 97 Centurion Dually 7.3, 97 Classy Chassis Dually 7.3, 2016 Ultra Classic CVO
Vehicle Showcase
If you're still in Moab let me know here for 2 more days maybe 3.....
Jeep Wrangler JL Moab - October? Ouray - September? 20200913_154529

DV LAWYER

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU Rubicon
So wonderful to see all the rigs out in their natural habitat!

Drytellsr

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
I think you are spot-on. It isn't overly expensive, either.

I just armored up my diffs for a pre-tax total of around $300. I did a Rancho slider up front and an ARB cover in the rear. The slider up front protects that vulnerable drain plug, and the diff cover, as well. The rear isn't as vulnerable, and tends to slide over obstructions, so I went with the ARB as I'm more likely to damage it by backing into a rock.

I survived a bunch of trips, including Moab, with careful spotting and good luck. I watched some guys in our Jeep club knock their diffs on some rocks in Kentucky a few weeks ago, and that convinced me I could use some more beef in that area. One guy had the slider up front and it impressed me how it took a good hit and then slid right over the top of the rock with no damage.
hey Brother, I was right about those diff skid plates. Michael Anthony and I did top of the world and took the right side of the loop up and we did the left side of the loop coming down and i smacked my diff skid plate pretty good. pinched my muffler exhaust too.

OP
OP
Amaruq

Amaruq

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLR 6spd
Imogene is back open fully. @Krondor we might be heading back Saturday now instead of Friday.
Sponsored