Moab in December?

CMâ›°

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR Granite Crystal
Does anyone go to Moab in December? Interested in both road and trail conditions, and does the town throw a New Years eve party or anything? Any suggestions on what to do? What to avoid?
Sponsored

stoch

First Name
Aaron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 JK, 2018 JLUR
I’ve been there on New Years. They do get snow. Overnight will be near or below freezing. Just kinda depends on the year... but it’s doable. As far as parties I have no idea. I highly doubt it as during the off season Moab is kind of a ghost town.

BVGeezer

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 JLU, 1982 FJ40
Occupation
Retired
Nights can be very cold. Daytime temps can be warm. Short days and low sun angle casts long shadows. Can have lots of ice in low spots and shadows.

Here is link the last December's weather from the weather channel.
https://weather.com/weather/monthly/l/USUT0165:1:US

Good news is it won't be crowded.

That One Guy

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2004 Honda Accord coupe, V6 6-speed manual; ordered 2018 JL Sport 6MT with A/C and anti-spin. D status.
I’ve been there on New Years. They do get snow. Overnight will be near or below freezing. Just kinda depends on the year... but it’s doable. As far as parties I have no idea. I highly doubt it as during the off season Moab is kind of a ghost town.
I love Moab in the winter. The arches look cool with snow, town is deserted, and every room is 1/4 of peak price.

It's a great time to see it. And I plan on doing the white rim trail in my future JL (along with some more serious wheeling trails!)

Grimmjpr

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR 4xe
Generally we go to Moab in the off season. Too crowded and expensive most of the time on season. I've been there pretty much at some point in every month of the year. Winter is a good time to go. Thanksgiving is a popular time for people to go. I have celebrated Christmas there a few years ago. Just keep in mind quite a few of the businesses are seasonal or open limited hours during the off season. I have no idea if there are parties. I'm usually having my own party somewhere along the trail. It will get pretty cold at night warm up a bit during the day, usually pretty comfortable unless its really windy, and depending on the year there may be snow and ice on the trails, but other than the trails up in the La Sal mountains I have never been stopped by snow on the trails. HTH

OP
OP
CMâ›°

CMâ›°

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR Granite Crystal
Thanks all for the replies. I think this is going to be a go! Can deal with the cold nights, like the sound of the prices and lack of crowds. Would love to see Arches dusted in snow. Just gotta find something special for New Year’s Eve to keep the wife happy! :jk:
Sponsored