Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Jeep Wrangler JLUR
Occupation
Network Engineer
  • Banned
** Recommendations - TL;DR **
Charles A Wells “funtreks” Book - https://www.amazon.com/Guide-Moab-B...?keywords=moab+funtreks&qid=1636828145&sr=8-2

Facebook Group - www.facebook.com/groups/478376492216414

Red Rock 4Wheelers - www.rr4w.com (BYOJeep)
Dan Mick, original guide for Moab (BYOJeep) - https://danmick.com/
Barlow Adventures (BYOJeep or rent one) - https://barlows.us/

I'm looking to get to Moab for my first real off-road adventure this coming spring. I'm interested in hiring a guide to give me some tips and hopefully help me feel more comfortable with my vehicles capabilities, I don't want to end up upside down after a "hold my beer, watch this" type moment of overconfidence. Are there any suggestions for a good guide out in Moab? I've ordered a JLUR.
Sponsored

Last edited:

Riverduck

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR Punk'n
Occupation
Security Contractor (Retired Military)
I'm looking to get to Moab for my first real off-road adventure this coming spring. I'm interested in hiring a guide to give me some tips and hopefully help me feel more comfortable with my vehicles capabilities, I don't want to end up upside down after a "hold my beer, watch this" type moment of overconfidence. Are there any suggestions for a good guide out in Moab? I've ordered a JLUR.

I'm not sure what dates you have in mind but this would be a good event to gain some experience.

Red Rock 4-Wheelers, Inc. - (rr4w.com)

OP
OP
hiimmike

hiimmike

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Jeep Wrangler JLUR
Occupation
Network Engineer
  • Banned

Jeepeto

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR XR
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Sparky
Vehicle Showcase
Clubs

Most of the lower level trails have traffic. Go out, start with fins n things, you’ll undoubtably run into many groups. When you find a group/individual running at your pace, make friends. Bring comms, CB/FRS/GMRS, I suggest bringing a couple FRS radios (Walmart “walkie talkie” style usually advertised as having some absurd range “25 miles” or the like, total BS, but works great for trails) to pass out and running FRS/GMRS. Help your new friends get through the trails and have them help you. Don’t be afraid to ask for a spot through areas that make you uncomfortable. Nobody will judge you for getting out and walking obstacles to find your line. The community is great, and nobody ends up in Moab by accident. You’re with like minded enthusiasts out there. Everyone is stoked to be on holy wheeling ground. Use the community, and become part of it. Exchange numbers, plan trails for tomorrow.

If you don’t already have the Charles A Wells “funtreks” book on Moab, make sure you pick up a copy. Use the trails rated by difficulty page to find your next trails. You can make your way up the list. The book contains very valuable information and is the Bible for trail riding there.

Get stoked, you’re heading to the promised land.

Sponsored

OP
OP
hiimmike

hiimmike

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Jeep Wrangler JLUR
Occupation
Network Engineer
  • Banned
Most of the lower level trails have traffic. Go out, start with fins n things, you’ll undoubtably run into many groups. When you find a group/individual running at your pace, make friends. Bring comms, CB/FRS/GMRS, I suggest bringing a couple FRS radios (Walmart “walkie talkie” style usually advertised as having some absurd range “25 miles” or the like, total BS, but works great for trails) to pass out and running FRS/GMRS. Help your new friends get through the trails and have them help you. Don’t be afraid to ask for a spot through areas that make you uncomfortable. Nobody will judge you for getting out and walking obstacles to find your line. The community is great, and nobody ends up in Moab by accident. You’re with like minded enthusiasts out there. Everyone is stoked to be on holy wheeling ground. Use the community, and become part of it. Exchange numbers, plan trails for tomorrow.

If you don’t already have the Charles A Wells “funtreks” book on Moab, make sure you pick up a copy. Use the trails rated by difficulty page to find your next trails. You can make your way up the list. The book contains very valuable information and is the Bible for trail riding there.

Get stoked, you’re heading to the promised land.
Awesome, thank you! I’ve got two old Motorola GMRS that I bought 15 years ago for snowboarding. When I joined the overlandbound forum I ended up picking up a BaoFeng. I’ve seen a lot of posts about that book, I’ll definitely check it out.
Is my Jeep done yet? 😁

DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLUR, 18JLUR, 08JKUR, 15 Renegade, 04 WJ
Vehicle Showcase
Go with the best. Dan Mick or his son. They mapped out some of the oriinal trails, including Hell's Revenge. They were also hired by Kia to make sure their Sorrento got up Hell's Gate for a TV spot. I believe Dan also co-wrote or consulted on Wells' book. Besides that, he's a cool ol' dude.

Jeepeto

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR XR
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Sparky
Vehicle Showcase
Clubs

Go with the best. Dan Mick or his son. They mapped out some of the oriinal trails, including Hell's Revenge. They were also hired by Kia to make sure their Sorrento got up Hell's Gate for a TV spot. I believe Dan also co-wrote or consulted on Wells' book. Besides that, he's a cool ol' dude.
+1

If your running with a guide. Dan is the man. I’ve run into these guys on trail and they were super helpful answering a couple questions I had even though I wasn’t part of their group.

Mgg253

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR 4xe
I had considered these guys Barlows. I also am thinking of a spring trip out that way and still may consider a guide. After a handful of wheeling trips I’m confident I can go to Moab and be totally fine, but learning more about techniques and general wheeling knowledge can only make me that much better!

jjvincent

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler, 2017 VW Alltrack, 2003 VW Eurovan
Occupation
Mechanical Engineer
On the other hand, if you want a nice drive that is not that hard, then the Shafer Trail is a good pick. The entrance is on Potash Road (right across from the entrance to Arches). We did it in the summer and started at 9am. It finishes into Canyonlands National Park. I did it with a brand new 2dr sport that was bone stock and I have zero off roading experience. My older son and I did it. I seen pickups and even a Subaru Outback on it. Good scenery and going up the switchbacks is fun. When you get into Canyonlands, there are none of those off road side by sides allowed. So the trail was pretty quiet when we went even though others were quite busy. A good app to use is Alltrails. I use it for hiking but it was good to use for around Moab and to see where I could take a stock Jeep (which I seemed to be the only one there with one). The Thelma and Louise Point (where they launch the T-Bird off a cliff) is there.

Here are a few pics.
Jeep Wrangler JL Moab Guides jeep4

Jeep Wrangler JL Moab Guides jeep7
Sponsored