Sponsored

Bringing JL to Moab

xpsruler

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Wrangler Sport
Its looking like I may be able to hit Moab for a couple of days and had some questions. I'd be bringing my JL Sport with the stock all-terrain tires as well as the limited slip differential.

I have never been to Moab before and was looking for a good trail with some slickrock, but don't want to damage my jeep due to lack of a lift kit. Would Fins and Things be doable? Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

I also had a question about 4wheeling on slickrock. Having been offroad many times, I'm aware of the impirtance of not engaging 4WD on concrete as it can bind and damage your transmission. In Colorado the trails are for the most part dirt which allows tires to slip. How does one avoid binding on slickrock as it appears to be similar to concrete? Thanks!
Sponsored

BillArnett

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Rubicon
Fins and Things is a great trail for your first time in Moab. And if that goes well for you, which it should, then try Hells Revenge.

You shouldn’t have any problems with 4wd on the slick rock. It’s not as smooth as pavement so the axles get a chance to unbind on each little bump. Don’t sweat it.

OP
OP
xpsruler

xpsruler

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Wrangler Sport
Well the JL survived fins and things stock! That was officially the longest I've ever had to have a jeep left in 4 low as well! I will say that I am super impressed with the Jeep's climbing ability. My tires never skipped or skidded once going up the slickrock.

Very slight/superficial scrape on the bottom of the frame's cross bar as well as the rear tow hook but thats it. Also got to see some other cool vehicles on the trail as well. One group/company (I forget the name but they were out of Texas) had a very modified hellcat v8 wrangler that was pretty neat. They also had a JL which the driver said only had 90 miles on it lol.

I will say that the JL sport with LSD is pretty unstoppable stock. I think a 2-3 inch lift should be plenty in order to improve clearance but run it as a daily driver as well. I'll upload some photos of the trip latrer.

TopPinArcher

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR, 1987 Toyota, 2017 Crosstrek, 2008 Gulf Stream Vista Cruiser
Occupation
Environmental Technician
Pics and videos? We’ve seen a Rubi in MOAB be cool to see a sport

Sponsored

JASPER

First Name
Wayolife Sucks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Rubicon and 2014 JK 2dr
4lo for that?? its 2wd trail..

OnlyOne

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Sport S Diesel on 37s
Only reason why you would run Fins in 2WD is if you were an idiot, or Jeep did a over the air update and removed your 4WD.

OP
OP
xpsruler

xpsruler

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Wrangler Sport
I had the stock all terrain tires but aired down to 20lbs. It was a lot of fun. I plan on eventually doing a 2-3 inch lift and then bringing it back out.

Climbing the slickrock would not have been fun in 2 wheel and would've resulted in a lot of high revving (loss of control). In 4 low it just crawled right up in low rpm.
Sponsored