Missing Paint

onemoreokie

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Lexus GX460, 2021 JLU Rubicon XR
I’ve got a new XR and was putting a coat of wax on it today. I noticed some missing paint around the tailgate hinge. Normal?

I didn’t expect great paint quality but overall it’s the worst paint job I’ve ever had on a new car.

Jeep Wrangler JL Missing Paint 6B9E48DA-AF50-499C-8D85-BB622179B8E5
Sponsored

DavidArmen

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR
Okay that’s just sad and not normal. There’s a lot of areas with missing paint but none of those areas are visible. This is the first time I see missing paint on a visible section of the body. How on earth did this pass inspection?

OP
OP
onemoreokie

onemoreokie

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Lexus GX460, 2021 JLU Rubicon XR
makes me worry about trading in my 2019 - apart from batteries i have been free from problems

I'd hold onto it if it's working. This isn't my only issue. I've had a windshield leak since new, now going on six weeks. Jeep hasn't/won't address this seriously and give me any timeline for parts and/or repair. Awesome vehicle but serious quality control issues!

Sponsored

JABCAT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 GC High Altitude 4x4, '22 JLU on order
Occupation
College Professor
Personally, I’d buy a can of touch up paint, tape off surrounding areas, and spray that area. Quadratec has 5 oz cans of OEM paint.

RT-Stocker

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2008 JK Rubicon, 1999 Cherokee XJ, 2021 JLURD
For mine, it's some overspray on the passenger side, right above the tail light... since it's not too visible, I have learned to deal with it. In your case, it's just too obvious, not acceptable at all. Sorry about that.

Tailight Overspray_ Passenger side.jpg

JABCAT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 GC High Altitude 4x4, '22 JLU on order
Occupation
College Professor
For mine, it's some overspray on the passenger side, right above the tail light... since it's not too visible, I have learned to deal with it. In your case, it's just too obvious, not acceptable at all. Sorry about that.

Tailight Overspray_ Passenger side.jpg
That should be fairly easy to remove with a clay bar or DA Polisher.

I’ve owned 9 different Jeeps starting back in 1994 & they’ve all had paint issues. Our ‘20 Grand Cherokee has the worst orange peel I’ve seen, a few areas with dark pencil eraser-sized circles in the paint, and the fuel door color is off from the surrounding panels. If my wife’s company didn’t pay for the car, I probably would’ve made a stink about the paint. We’re going to trade it in in 3 years so I don’t let it bother me.

We had a 2000 dark green Cherokee and the paint peeled off the roof and hood in large sections within the 1st year and they refused to fix it under warranty. Typical Jeep quality, sadly.

RT-Stocker

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2008 JK Rubicon, 1999 Cherokee XJ, 2021 JLURD
That should be fairly easy to remove with a clay bar or DA Polisher.

I’ve owned 9 different Jeeps starting back in 1994 & they’ve all had paint issues. Our ‘20 Grand Cherokee has the worst orange peel I’ve seen, a few areas with dark pencil eraser-sized circles in the paint, and the fuel door color is off from the surrounding panels. If my wife’s company didn’t pay for the car, I probably would’ve made a stink about the paint. We’re going to trade it in in 3 years so I don’t let it bother me.

We had a 2000 dark green Cherokee and the paint peeled off the roof and hood in large sections within the 1st year and they refused to fix it under warranty. Typical Jeep quality, sadly.
Thanks for suggestion on the clay bar & polisher.. will look into that.
Sponsored