First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 2-Door Rubicon
Occupation
Retired Nomad, dog-father, Jeep enthusiast
Thank You for sharing. I will probably end up doing this at some point.
I highly recommend you drop that thing off at the local shop and let them put it in. If you are concerned about quality work, Q/C is afterwards...check sensor connections, get a flashlight down into the lower left hose/intercooler pipe connection and check the hose clamps, ensure that you don't see any (or hardly any...like less than 1/18th an inch) silver exposed (that's the polished area the rubber sleeves fit over). All in all, I wish I'd have done it and it would have saved my sanity and the shop probably would have fit it better than I did. I'm scared to open it back up and look. Good luck!
Sponsored

bdb5430

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler Rubicon
Bought and installed the Mishimoto Intercooler pipe. First, it was a huge pain in the @ss. Getting that thing straight with mildly-flexible hose connectors is insanely difficult. The video shows they guy literally getting it done in about 2 minutes. It took me two hours. I'm talking fitting it straight over both ends with hose clamps. Never been more scared that I'd cause a turbo leak in my life because it just wasn't #!$#%%@@ fitting. Each time I angled it in, then tried to hook up the other end, it came out of the first connection. I tried different angles, read blogs, saw a "tips" section on another website, and watched others put it in on YouTube...nothing was easy that day. BUT....I finally got it on and yes--you can crank the hose clamps down tighter on the billeted aluminum rather than worrying about the OEM plastic cracking on the original. I haven't noticed gains....but I really don't floor it that often...when I do it gets up and goes though. I have noticed a throatier, deeper resonating sound coming from the exhaust and engine, not sure whether I'm making that up or perceiving sounds correctly. 1/2 deaf from the military though...so maybe I'm making that all up.

The video Mishimoto posted online is for the JLU. I'm sure my JLR 2-door HP and FP might come in a bit higher since it weighs a bit less (around 4222lbs vs. ~4400lbs curb weight).

Haven't made up my mind as to whether it's worth it yet.
You’re not kidding!! Getting that thing on correctly is a nightmare! What helped me was angling both hoses, attaching the lower throttle side hose and then using a long flat head screwdriver under the upper turbo side hose to guide it on. Still took a few tries and some choice words to get it to seat on both ends. Total pain in the ass!

oceanblue2019

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR 2.0L Auto
Occupation
Metrology
There is an older thread on here with some tips to install it. It's a 30 minute job to swap it - I've done a couple of them as well as removed mine and returned to stock for dealer visits.

The trick is to put the silicon coupler on the lower throttle body first and tighten the hose clamp, then tip/rotate the pipe into it. Then deal with the turbo side.

If you go in reverse trying to get the silicon coupler onto the throttle body when the pipe/turbo side is done up will drive you nuts as no room to work.

Also doing it after the vehicle has sat overnight so cool helps out.
Sponsored