Sponsored

BlackGenesis

First Name
Andrey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 Sahara unlimited
Turbo cars dont gain from a bit less free flowing intakes - turbo forses air untill torque valves are met. Only time to update intake is once you go larger turbo.

To gain power - get rid of heat ( better exhaust, no cats and better charge temps / intercooling) then tune for better timing and more boost (raise torque value ceiling).

Update items post turbo - intercooler , exhaust /dow pipe. Heat wrap, punch holes in the hood.

Intercooler pipes and coupler only prevent boost leak - that's only way they can gain power. If you had boost leak, otherwise- nada...

OP
OP
kapk22

kapk22

First Name
Kasey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1990 YJ, 2021 JLUR
Turbo cars dont gain from a bit less free flowing intakes - turbo forses air untill torque valves are met. Only time to update intake is once you go larger turbo.

To gain power - get rid of heat ( better exhaust, no cats and better charge temps / intercooling) then tune for better timing and more boost (raise torque value ceiling).

Update items post turbo - intercooler , exhaust /dow pipe. Heat wrap, punch holes in the hood.

Intercooler pipes and coupler only prevent boost leak - that's only way they can gain power. If you had boost leak, otherwise- nada...
Interesting. Their site claims:

“To get the most accurate results, Jason made four dyno runs and averaged the results together. The results were impressive for a stock 2.0L engine, but close to what we expected based on our previous dyno runs. With the stock intercooler pipe installed, the JL reached an average max torque of 264 lb. ft. at 3,900 RPM and an average max power of 231 hp at 5,400 RPM.”

JaysJL

First Name
Jacob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Altitude

Coming from building turbo cars to now turbo Jeep’s everything over stock will create a benefit in one way or another. Smoother air flow from the inter cooler, more air from outside to in, there are several proven benefits to cai and inter cooler piping. Yes exhaust is just as important the larger diameter the great the outcome. But they aren’t going to post false claims online. No large reputable company would risk that. I would recommend doing everything they have listed for the JL to anyone that has a compatible jl

JaysJL

First Name
Jacob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Altitude
First and foremost buy a catch can. You won’t regret it. Then worry about the intake. The jl exhaust is restricted so if you are okay with it sounding like a tuner car straight pipe it.

Sponsored

BlackGenesis

First Name
Andrey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 Sahara unlimited
I have done my fair share of modifying turbo cars and built my own custom turbo kit.
Overall, free flowing intake will show a bit better spool and maybe 2hp gain once turbo spooled (and so will free flowing filter in the stok box) and its confirmed case with 2.0 JL.
Intercooler pipe - larger diameter has better flow up top and slower spool. Aluminum pipe e let's you have stronger clamning with better clamp - no leaks or cracked plastic.

I would not waist my money on stuff that makes very insignificant gains on stock vehicle. Heat management and tuning are best retun for your money. Majority under the hood heat management is can be inexpensive - wrapping your charge pipe, Rubicon hood without liner, get rid of engine cover (if you have one).

AnnDee4444

Threads
Reaction score
'18 JLR 2.0
Anyone have either or both?

Video/audio clip?

Review?

Actual power increase?

Still wish there was a way to hear that turbo spool without voiding warranty
I bet you would hear the turbo more with the Mopar snorkel hood cut-out, and it shouldn't void any warranty:

Jeep Wrangler JL Mishimoto intake and intercooler pipe? 1614185463507

As for power, a tuner is going to make a bigger difference than any of other parts, and in my opinion should be first. Intakes make little to no power unless tuned, and a downpipe/BOV probably won't increase peak power either. A catch can does absolutely nothing for power, could void the warranty, and could prevent you from passing an emissions test. Also I haven't seen any evidence that catch cans actually catch anything on this motor.

OP
OP
kapk22

kapk22

First Name
Kasey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1990 YJ, 2021 JLUR
I bet you would hear the turbo more with the Mopar snorkel hood cut-out, and it shouldn't void any warranty:

Jeep Wrangler JL Mishimoto intake and intercooler pipe? 1614185463507

As for power, a tuner is going to make a bigger difference than any of other parts, and in my opinion should be first. Intakes make little to no power unless tuned, and a downpipe/BOV probably won't increase peak power either. A catch can does absolutely nothing for power, could void the warranty, and could prevent you from passing an emissions test. Also I haven't seen any evidence that catch cans actually catch anything on this motor.
I did not know the engine put off that much heat. Sounds like tuner, gears for the 37s, then maybe exhaust later down the road,..

I always thought it was pointless to add exhaust without opening up the intake some. But idk. Thank you guys

littlecaesar

First Name
Ernesto
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR
Anyone have either or both?

Video/audio clip?

Review?

Actual power increase?

Still wish there was a way to hear that turbo spool without voiding warranty
I installed both Mishi components over the weekend. Slightly more aggressive sound and acceleration at 3500rpm. Install was easy except for maneuvering the new IC pipe into place: it's an extremely tight fit and the only way to gain some space is flexing the rubber coupler connecting the new pipe to the throttle body.

I have a Diablosport MOD PCM & I3 93 octane tune going in today, and a Borla Type S Climber exhaust installing Wednesday. I think these last two pieces will really bring out the potential of the Mishi parts.

OP
OP
kapk22

kapk22

First Name
Kasey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1990 YJ, 2021 JLUR
I installed both Mishi components over the weekend. Slightly more aggressive sound and acceleration at 3500rpm. Install was easy except for maneuvering the new IC pipe into place: it's an extremely tight fit and the only way to gain some space is flexing the rubber coupler connecting the new pipe to the throttle body.

I have a Diablosport MOD PCM & I3 93 octane tune going in today, and a Borla Type S Climber exhaust installing Wednesday. I think these last two pieces will really bring out the potential of the Mishi parts.
DANG!!! 💵💵💵💵

Would love to see some dyno stats and actual fuel economy

Sponsored

Crusifix

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU Rubicon 2.0T Hurricane

True in that you are limited to the tune. But making the turbo flow more efficiently will allow it to more easily draw in and exhale the air. I've built a whole bunch of FI cars, half of which were turbo. For instance some of the lag experienced with turbos can be attributed mainly to the downpipe, and also lesser to the intake and charge pipe. Allowing the turbo to get to the boost threshold quicker will almost always benefit the engine. If the tune prevents power gains, the turbo will still benefit as it will not have to work as hard. But ,almost always there is a slight bump somewhere in the curve. No add a custom tune, and max the turbo out within it's efficiency level and we are talking big gains, even with stock turbo systems. You still want to balance your pressure drop. Sometimes making things to efficient for the size of turbo...too small of a turbo.. can have the opposite effect due to the airflow losing velocity down stream of the turbo.

littlecaesar

First Name
Ernesto
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR
DANG!!! 💵💵💵💵

Would love to see some dyno stats and actual fuel economy
So now I've got the Mishi intake and i/c pipe, Borla S-type exhaust, and a Diablosport 93 octane tune. Simply put it sounds awesome under the hood, in the cabin, and at the pipe. I definitely felt some mild performance gains after the 3 bolt-ons, but the tune, which includes a custom transmission recalibration as well the engine and boost, knocked it out the park. Fuel economy is unchanged, even though I tend to get on it a little harder these days 😜

OP
OP
kapk22

kapk22

First Name
Kasey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1990 YJ, 2021 JLUR
So now I've got the Mishi intake and i/c pipe, Borla S-type exhaust, and a Diablosport 93 octane tune. Simply put it sounds awesome under the hood, in the cabin, and at the pipe. I definitely felt some mild performance gains after the 3 bolt-ons, but the tune, which includes a custom transmission recalibration as well the engine and boost, knocked it out the park. Fuel economy is unchanged, even though I tend to get on it a little harder these days 😜

If you ever get a chance, please post a video. I bet it sounds perfect.

And, thank you for the update.

jaardappel

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 2-Door Rubicon
Occupation
Retired Nomad, dog-father, Jeep enthusiast
Bought and installed the Mishimoto Intercooler pipe. First, it was a huge pain in the @ss. Getting that thing straight with mildly-flexible hose connectors is insanely difficult. The video shows they guy literally getting it done in about 2 minutes. It took me two hours. I'm talking fitting it straight over both ends with hose clamps. Never been more scared that I'd cause a turbo leak in my life because it just wasn't #!$#%%@@ fitting. Each time I angled it in, then tried to hook up the other end, it came out of the first connection. I tried different angles, read blogs, saw a "tips" section on another website, and watched others put it in on YouTube...nothing was easy that day. BUT....I finally got it on and yes--you can crank the hose clamps down tighter on the billeted aluminum rather than worrying about the OEM plastic cracking on the original. I haven't noticed gains....but I really don't floor it that often...when I do it gets up and goes though. I have noticed a throatier, deeper resonating sound coming from the exhaust and engine, not sure whether I'm making that up or perceiving sounds correctly. 1/2 deaf from the military though...so maybe I'm making that all up.

The video Mishimoto posted online is for the JLU. I'm sure my JLR 2-door HP and FP might come in a bit higher since it weighs a bit less (around 4222lbs vs. ~4400lbs curb weight).

Haven't made up my mind as to whether it's worth it yet.

OP
OP
kapk22

kapk22

First Name
Kasey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1990 YJ, 2021 JLUR
Bought and installed the Mishimoto Intercooler pipe. First, it was a huge pain in the @ss. Getting that thing straight with mildly-flexible hose connectors is insanely difficult. The video shows they guy literally getting it done in about 2 minutes. It took me two hours. I'm talking fitting it straight over both ends with hose clamps. Never been more scared that I'd cause a turbo leak in my life because it just wasn't #!$#%%@@ fitting. Each time I angled it in, then tried to hook up the other end, it came out of the first connection. I tried different angles, read blogs, saw a "tips" section on another website, and watched others put it in on YouTube...nothing was easy that day. BUT....I finally got it on and yes--you can crank the hose clamps down tighter on the billeted aluminum rather than worrying about the OEM plastic cracking on the original. I haven't noticed gains....but I really don't floor it that often...when I do it gets up and goes though. I have noticed a throatier, deeper resonating sound coming from the exhaust and engine, not sure whether I'm making that up or perceiving sounds correctly. 1/2 deaf from the military though...so maybe I'm making that all up.

The video Mishimoto posted online is for the JLU. I'm sure my JLR 2-door HP and FP might come in a bit higher since it weighs a bit less (around 4222lbs vs. ~4400lbs curb weight).

Haven't made up my mind as to whether it's worth it yet.
Thank You for sharing. I will probably end up doing this at some point.
Sponsored