John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR 2.0L Auto
Occupation
Metrology
@oceanblue2019

Thanks for the post just wish I would have seen it three hours ago.

I installed the pipe today and I too put the hood up and was able to just look down on the area much better. I also had to trim the Turbo side connector hose to get the extra 1/4 of room to get the throttle body side on.

it’s rubbing great and no CEL’s.

also Steve thanks for posting the angle technique that would have helped a ton. But I did get it all together but It was not an hour install. My hose claps on the throttle body were facing the firewall as well.

hoping the intake is an easier install.
I've had the intake on/off a few times. Nothing difficult to access. Should be a 15 to 30 min install at the most, with all your skin still on knuckles at the end.
Sponsored

OP
OP
Mishimoto

Mishimoto

First Name
Mishi
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler JL
Thanks for the feedback everybody! If somebody could measure the Mishimoto turbo-side boot, I can compare it to our specs. Either way, I'll pass the feedback on to our engineer.

Thanks!
-Steve

emoody007

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Rubicon 2.0 Turbo
Vehicle Showcase
Ok.... So I've got mine on after fighting the coupler's for several hours. Everything seems tight and no CEL's. However when i lay into the skinny pedal and the boost kicks in it hisses pretty loud like I just put the AC fan on full blast. Is this normal or does it sound like i have a boost leak?

oceanblue2019

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR 2.0L Auto
Occupation
Metrology
Ok.... So I've got mine on after fighting the coupler's for several hours. Everything seems tight and no CEL's. However when i lay into the skinny pedal and the boost kicks in it hisses pretty loud like I just put the AC fan on full blast. Is this normal or does it sound like i have a boost leak?
do you have a JB4 and can log the boost? Mine doesn’t hiss.

Sponsored

jwalt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU Rubicon, 2004 TJ Rubicon, 2017 Cherokee
Vehicle Showcase
Mine does not hiss much more than normal either. The turbo boost was a little more pronounced than stock but not like a fan blowing. To me that would seem like an air leak.

Avar928

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU 2.0 Sport S Granite
Sounds like an air leak during install. Go back in and recheck all the fittings.

Huehue80

First Name
Cohan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep JLUR
Air leak for sure. It might be, you didn’t seat it properly on the intake manifold side. It is crazy how hard it is to get both ends on with out some tricks. Did you check all hoses you might have missed the hose right next to the BOV.

@oceanblue2019 did a great write up with some tricks on post #209

let us know what you find out. Good luck

emoody007

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
do you have a JB4 and can log the boost? Mine doesn’t hiss.
I haven't logged it but watching the screen it starts a lite hiss around 6psi and gets really bad around 14psi. It sounds like it's coming from behind the glove box so its either the lower coupler, or one of the sensor connections. Ironically the Jeep runs relatively solid and doesn't throw any codes but it's like listening to acceleration saying "peace, I'm out" lol. I'm driving my other car this week so hopefully I can find time this week to get back under the hood and get it resolved.

emoody007

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Air leak for sure. It might be, you didn’t seat it properly on the intake manifold side. It is crazy how hard it is to get both ends on with out some tricks. Did you check all hoses you might have missed the hose right next to the BOV.

@oceanblue2019 did a great write up with some tricks on post #209

let us know what you find out. Good luck
The noise sounds like its from behind the glove box so it's either the lower coupler or one of the sensors on the lower end of the pipe.

Sponsored

OP
OP
Mishimoto

Mishimoto

First Name
Mishi
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler JL
The noise sounds like its from behind the glove box so it's either the lower coupler or one of the sensors on the lower end of the pipe.
Let us know how it goes or if you need any help finding it. Did you install the bypass valve while the pipe was removed from the vehicle? I know that lower bolt on the BPV can be a pain to get in when the pipe is installed.

Thanks,
-Steve

emoody007

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Let us know how it goes or if you need any help finding it. Did you install the bypass valve while the pipe was removed from the vehicle? I know that lower bolt on the BPV can be a pain to get in when the pipe is installed.

Thanks,
-Steve
When you say by pass valve are you referring to the Blow off valve?

OP
OP
Mishimoto

Mishimoto

First Name
Mishi
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler JL
When you say by pass valve are you referring to the Blow off valve?
Yes, the stock valve is technically bypass valve, but the terms are often used interchangeably. I believe those sensors are an NPT-style fitting, so if they're not pretty tight they may leak like you said.

Thanks,
-Steve

emoody007

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Yes, the stock valve is technically bypass valve, but the terms are often used interchangeably. I believe those sensors are an NPT-style fitting, so if they're not pretty tight they may leak like you said.

Thanks,
-Steve
Yes, all that was placed on the pipe prior to install and the return to intake hose is very secure. I placed the GFB DV+ diverter in place of the factory diaphram so I had to use longer bolts but everything was pretty tight. I blew into the valve opening like a trumpet to make sure no air was escaping and if it was you wouldn't be able to hear like it sounds. The noise is obviously to atmosphere and 99% sure its on the down part of the pipe. I checked the map sensor and its tight but I need to go back and check the temperature sensor, Then possibly check the lower coupling and redo the C clamps in needed. I'll get it figured out just gotta find some free time to get back in there.

Avar928

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU 2.0 Sport S Granite
Taking a break from fighting getting the pipe on for 2hrs. Still working it and using the tricks. Seriously, this installation is a PITA. Using the factory couplers as I'm much closer to seating as the ones provided just wouldn't do it.

EDIT: Got it.

Tips: RE-USE the factory fasteners and couplers for the throttle and turbo side.

INSTALL the factory coupler on the throttle body first and angle it towards the firewall. Slide in the pipe onto the turbo side and use the 10mm bolt hole as a guide, you want it pretty much lined up. Wiggle the pipe onto the throttle coupler so that the side away from you is inside the lip then use a flat head to pry the lip FACING YOU over the pipe. Use some motor oil to lube everything. It'll quicken things drastically. I actually had to remove the pipe again to replace the fasteners and got it in after wrestling for a few minutes.

Use the factory fasteners. Mishimoto, the throttle side ones you provided all rounded out on me.

EDIT EDIT: Despite being a pain, this is worth it. The response and power from the pipe and DV+ combo is phenomenal. Drives so much better now.
Sponsored

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.