Mishimoto

First Name
Mishi
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler JL
Hey everybody,

Mishimoto is excited to announce that development of our performance intercooler pipe is underway! Check out our review of the stock part below and let us know what you think. We'll have more updates coming soon!

Thanks,
-Steve

Rival Nature’s Power – Intercooler Pipe R&D, Part 1: Stock Review

MG_5840.jpg
Nature is an awe-inspiring force. So much so that we often try to imitate its power. Any time we want to convey monumental strength, we turn to examples in nature. Animals, mountains, oceans, wind and the storms it builds, all have been the inspiration for man-made instruments of power.

The automotive industry is a perfect example of this. Automotive nomenclature, especially, has deep roots in nature. Who doesn’t think of power when they hear “Dodge Viper” or “Ford Mustang”? There are more subtle nods to nature’s power too. The Volkswagen Scirocco, for example, is named after a Mediterranean wind that can reach hurricane speeds.

MG_9579.jpg

When it comes to naming engines, however, subtlety takes a back seat to sheer intimidation. Ford’s Coyote V8 lives up to its vicious namesake with a lightweight aluminum block capable of producing 412 hp and 390 lb-ft of torque, but high-performance engines aren’t the only ones to draw influence from nature. In the early 1950s, Willys Jeep and its various counterparts used the “Hurricane” codename for engines in some of their most renowned vehicles. Now, almost 70 years later, Jeep has revived the Hurricane name to create one of its most advanced and powerful Wrangler engines yet.

MG_5949.jpg

Like Ford’s Coyote engine, the 2.0L inline four-cylinder Hurricane engine found in the 2018+ Jeep Wrangler lives up to its name. The Hurricane produces 270 hp and 295 lb-ft of torque with the help of a turbocharger acting as its own small hurricane. That power is enough to accelerate the JL Wrangler from 0-60 in 6.5 seconds, which is pretty good for a nearly 2 ¼ ton off-road vehicle. But, like almost every production engine, the Hurricane could be made better and at Mishimoto, we’ve been working to take the JL Hurricane from a Category 1 to a Category 5 and help your Jeep rival nature’s power.

Continue Reading...
Sponsored

OP
OP
Mishimoto

Mishimoto

First Name
Mishi
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler JL
Will this be CARB legal?
I believe we will be applying for CARB approval, but the process takes quite a while and they require a production level part for testing. So if we do get CARB approval, it will likely not be until after the launch of the product.

I'll double check that timeline with the project manager tomorrow morning and let you know for sure. I think you could still buy it before it gets CARB approved and just wait to install it until after it's approved. I want to say we've sent out CARB stickers to customers in the past when a product wasn't CARB legal at the time of purchase or for customers who moved into a CARB state after purchase. But again, I will double check with the PM who handles CARB tomorrow morning.

Thanks!
-Steve

Sponsored

OP
OP
Mishimoto

Mishimoto

First Name
Mishi
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler JL
Will this be CARB legal?
Just wanted to follow up with this. We will be submitting this for CARB approval. Like I said, the process is long, so approval probably won't come until after the pre-sale and launch.

Thanks,
-Steve

ebelp

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Rubicon (bright white)
Vehicle Showcase
Nice article, thanks for sharing. I'm looking forward to updates!

Sponsored

Crusifix

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU Rubicon 2.0T Hurricane
If you ever need some random guy to test some stuff independently... I happen to own my own Dynojet 224xLc (with Load Cell)...cough..cough... ;-)
Sponsored

Status
Not open for further replies.