Sponsored

Manual vs Automatic

The Great Grape Ape

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 JKU AspenX 5spd , 2015 JK Sport 6spd
I think the "50" in 850RE means that it's rated for 500 NM (367lbft) of torque.
Fixed that for you. 500NM, it’s science/engineering , not ‘Murica, so Metric. ;)
Sponsored

The Great Grape Ape

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 JKU AspenX 5spd , 2015 JK Sport 6spd
In my mind, I keep thinking the US side of FCA does not exactly have a good reputation for automatic transmissions. I miss driving manual in addition to that.
The NAG1 is/was a fine Transmission, all the major bugs were figured out while it was a W5A580 under Mercedes before being built stateside as the NAG.

The NSG370 manual from Mercedes is more notoriously buggy / problematic.

So I would disagree with your assessment, and I speak as an owner of all 4 variants (old 2nd Gen NSG in 2008 JK / new NSG in 2015 JK and W5A580 in 2012 JKUR / NAG1 in 2015 JKU).

I like both manual & auto JKs, but these new transmissions should improve on the shortcomings of both prior offerings in the Wrangler.

That being said, I’d still prefer a ZF sourced 8HP75 over a US sourced 850RE, but that’s due to torque handling, and the hope for the better alternate ratios/spread.

2018JLU4ME

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Brilliant Black WK2 Limited
you're right...nobody is dropping 50k on a Wrangler....might as well drop your pants at the dealer and bend over if you're planning to spend that

jeppesen.io

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Miata, WR250R, JLU Rubicon
you're right...nobody is dropping 50k on a Wrangler....might as well drop your pants at the dealer and bend over if you're planning to spend that
Kidding right? Very easy to get a JKU Rubicon to 40k - thats before taxes, bumpers, winches, amour, wheels.

I see lots of JKUs on the road that cost 50k EASY

SpyDJeep

First Name
Cory
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
"18 JLUR Punk'n, '11 JKU Mango tango, '17 JKU Granite crystal, 98 XJ plow jeep
Vehicle Showcase
Kidding right? Very easy to get a JKU Rubicon to 40k - thats before taxes, bumpers, winches, amour, wheels.

I see lots of JKUs on the road that cost 50k EASY
I agree, its easy to get to that amount and up here in the great white north its even more. My '17 JKU was 54 out the door compared to my '11 at 41 OTD. I'm expecting My JLU to be over 60 for sure (its replacing my '11)

As far as resale i've already been offered around 65% of original price paid and its a manual.

Sponsored

2018JLU4ME

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Brilliant Black WK2 Limited
im talking about sticker price....what you do later isnt factored in to what you pay out the door...anything more than 40K out the door for a wrangler is absurd in my opinion...you buy a sport and you customize...far less expensive

CantThinkOfAHandle

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1996 RAV4, 2015 BMW Diesel Sports Wagon
I have never driven an auto off pavement. I'm surprised to learn they can handle rock climbing better than a manual, so that's good to know. How about the lack of engine braking? If I'm driving fast downhill on a gravel road and see a steep bend up ahead, I like knowing that, when I take my foot off the accelerator, my vehicle will slow immediately and predictably. Will it do that with an auto? This is probably my top off-pavement requirement, because I often drive really fast and want to know exactly what to expect.

SpyDJeep

First Name
Cory
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
I have never driven an auto off pavement. I'm surprised to learn they can handle rock climbing better than a manual, so that's good to know. How about the lack of engine braking? If I'm driving fast downhill on a gravel road and see a steep bend up ahead, I like knowing that, when I take my foot off the accelerator, my vehicle will slow immediately and predictably. Will it do that with an auto? This is probably my top off-pavement requirement, because I often drive really fast and want to know exactly what to expect.
I drive both an auto and a munual JKU on a regular basis. You can shift the auto into whatever gear you want and it will react in a similar way. I do prefer the manual though

BillyHW

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
-
I drive both an auto and a munual JKU on a regular basis. You can shift the auto into whatever gear you want and it will react in a similar way. I do prefer the manual though
FYI, the new ZF8 may have some sort of energy saving coast mode that we don't know how it works yet.

I hope it works the same way autos have always worked.

SpyDJeep

First Name
Cory
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
FYI, the new ZF8 may have some sort of energy saving coast mode that we don't know how it works yet.

I hope it works the same way autos have always worked.
Interesting. Good point, I wasnt thinking the new tranny. so use to the JK tranny thats been the norm for the last decade. Cant see it performing that much different when manually selecting gears but time will tell.
Sponsored