Sponsored

Manual Rubicon: Engine speed vs. Road speed

twodoorfour

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Tacoma TRD OR, 2018 Subaru Outback Limited
Could someone with a manual transmission Rubicon let me know what the average RPMs are at these given speeds in 6th gear?

Flat ground without major wind playing a factor is helpful.

55 mph
65 mph
75 mph
And 80 mph
Sponsored

redracer

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 4xe Rubicon
Could someone with a manual transmission Rubicon let me know what the average RPMs are at these given speeds in 6th gear?

Flat ground without major wind playing a factor is helpful.

55 mph
65 mph
75 mph
And 80 mph
55 in 6th gear is a no go. It’s way too low of rpm. It won’t accelerate and sounds horrible if you try.
65 in 6th is right around 2000 rpm. I don’t like to do this unless I’m trying for economy on flat highway. My rule is 6th is for 70+
75 I’ll have to remember to look.
And I don’t do 80. It’s a Jeep.

This is an all stock JLUR 6 speed with the OE 285 ko2’s

OldGuyNewJeep

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JL, 2016 Yukon XL
I shift to 6th around 65mph. It’s a second overdrive, and I downshift straight to 4th if I need to accelerate or climb a hill.

RPMs aren’t going to move much for your listed speeds. Just under 2k at 55 and it might lug. 2k or slightly over for the rest, though I rarely hit 80 (too fast for a Wrangler, IMO). 65-70 is the sweet spot for highway cruising in 6th, for me.

Not much difference between 5th and 6th as has been discussed at length, already. Even so, I use it every day because why not?

Edit: I just drove to gym and watched the tachometer on my way. I actually shifted to 6th at 55 (naturally/unconsciously). RPM was 1500. No lugging unless I stomped the pedal down. At 65 RPM was about 1900. I couldn’t get going faster than that due to traffic.

Note that I have a stock 2dr.

Last edited:
OP
OP

twodoorfour

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Tacoma TRD OR, 2018 Subaru Outback Limited
I shift to 6th around 65mph. It’s a second overdrive, and I downshift straight to 4th if I need to accelerate or climb a hill.

RPMs aren’t going to move much for your listed speeds. Just under 2k at 55 and it might lug. 2k or slightly over for the rest, though I rarely hit 80 (too fast for a Wrangler, IMO). 65-70 is the sweet spot for highway cruising in 6th, for me.

Not much difference between 5th and 6th as has been discussed at length, already. Even so, I use it every day because why not?

Edit: I just drove to gym and watched the tachometer on my way. I actually shifted to 6th at 55 (naturally/unconsciously). RPM was 1500. No lugging unless I stomped the pedal down. At 65 RPM was about 1900. I couldn’t get going faster than that due to traffic.

Note that I have a stock 2dr.
Is that a Rubicon or Sport? And thanks for the info!

I don’t plan to go 80+ often, but 70-75 is very normal where I am and I don’t want to be super revvy on everyday highway speeds.

OldGuyNewJeep

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JL, 2016 Yukon XL
Is that a Rubicon or Sport? And thanks for the info!

I don’t plan to go 80+ often, but 70-75 is very normal where I am and I don’t want to be super revvy on everyday highway speeds.
2dr Rubicon.
Sponsored