Sponsored

Lug Wrench failed; best solution?

zouch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
XJ, JLUWD
yeah, my stock lug wrench started to fold up the first time i used it.
(yes, the shop monkeys put the lug nuts on too tight; this is why i always check lug nut torque after a shop has done any work.)

as i was loosening the lug nuts of the first wheel, i started to see the paint peeling off of the lug wrench just below the head. but the time i was getting close to done, the arm of the wrench had softened to the point that it actually bent while under moderate force.

is there a better wrench available that will serve the same purposes and fit in the stock storage location?
Sponsored

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JL Rubi, '22 Prevost M H3-45,'01 Harley FatBoy
Consider keeping a 16" breaker bar with the appropriate size socket in your JL at all times.

I have the socket attached to the breaker bar and the tool is placed in a 18" long piece of gray, foam pipe insulation.

I keep this affair, in the small compartment where the scissor jack is. Fits right in on top. With the foam pipe insulation, I have no metal to metal related rattles.

I learned long ago, you can be up chitt creek so to speak, sometimes trying to break lugs loose with the little tire iron that comes with the Jeep.

Once you see someone standing on a tire iron trying to break a lug loose and the lug snaps off, etc., you realize wise man/gal carries a breaker bar with socket as I do in the vehicle at all times.

Reinen

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Wrangler JL Rubicon
Ah, I'm not the only one. The paint on mine quickly flaked off in the exact same spot and I was looking at it thinking this thing is gonna really screw me over one day.
But lug wrenches aren't special. They're just cheap-assed breaker bars. Get a real one and stash it in the jack compartment.

Sponsored

pangmaster

First Name
Nathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLR
Occupation
Enterprise architect
Vehicle Showcase

The Last Cowboy

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL Willys 2 door
Occupation
Wandering Vaquero
I bought a 1/2" drive ratchet with an extendable handle and a 6 point 22mm socket to keep in my Jeep. The easiest way to find a deep 6 point 22 is to buy an impact socket.

Do not use 12 point sockets on these OEM lugnuts, it will round off the stainless cover on them and make getting one off nearly impossible.

Last edited:

SteveFinn

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sting-Gray Sport S, former TJ owner
Yeah....I pretzel-ized the stock lug wrench last night trying to get one of the lugs loosened. That would've been a nightmare if it was on the side of the highway. Going to carry a breaker bar & socket from now on.

Sponsored

OP
OP
zouch

zouch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
XJ, JLUWD
just carrying another wrench is an obvious choice (and yes, i typically do that along with a dedicated 6-point lug socket and torque wrench anyway), but i was hoping someone might have found something that would replace *all* the functions of the wrench. fact is, that wrench is supposed to be what's used on the handle of the factory scissor jack.
(yes, that jack is already near the end of its limits on a 35" tire, and yes, manly men all have a high-lift jack with them at all times... but i like to try to keep the stock stuff working for the simple cases.)

i liked the idea about the foam insulation. i usually keep 'rattly' stuff wrapped in towels as they can serve more alternative purposes.

i suppose what i was hoping to see was that someone somewhere had come up with wrench that was made stouter, but actually performed all the same functions as the stock POS.

roaniecowpony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR, 14 GMC 1500 CC All TERRAIN
Occupation
Retired Engineer
I've never even looked for the OEM lug wrench. I carry a long 1/2" drive torque wrench in the JL with an impact drive socket. But, I typically use a Milwaukee cordless impact to rotate tires. Then torque with the torque wrench, of course.

Shibadog

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler Sport S hardtop
Occupation
Safety &Fire Protection Engineer (Retired)
yeah, my stock lug wrench started to fold up the first time i used it.
(yes, the shop monkeys put the lug nuts on too tight; this is why i always check lug nut torque after a shop has done any work.)

as i was loosening the lug nuts of the first wheel, i started to see the paint peeling off of the lug wrench just below the head. but the time i was getting close to done, the arm of the wrench had softened to the point that it actually bent while under moderate force.

is there a better wrench available that will serve the same purposes and fit in the stock storage location?
A decent breaker bar and a quality deep well socket. Carry one under the floor in the back.

OP
OP
zouch

zouch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
XJ, JLUWD
looks like you didn't read to the end of the thread before you revived this nearly year-old thread to add nothing new. ;)

A decent breaker bar and a quality deep well socket. Carry one under the floor in the back.