Standard Combination Wrench vs. Ratcheting Wrench

RivaDriver

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 392
Hi All – I am thinking about swapping out my combination wrench set that I carry in my Jeep for a flex head ratcheting wrench set. I currently carry Tekton metric and SAE combination wrenches. Replacing these with ratchet wrenches will be a big investment. Before making the purchase I am interested in what you all think the pros and cons are of ratcheting wrenches? Appreciate any feedback you can share. Thanks!
Sponsored

Jim1964

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLUR
I carry both. Probably because I carry too many tools. IF that’s possible LOL.

I like the ratchet wrenches for speed, and they fit tight spaces better than a conventional socket and ratchet. I think my set goes up to 15mm.

For high torque or heavy use like a control arm I prefer conventional one piece. Because they can take the abuse when extended with a pipe or second wrench to get the necessary torque applied.

Mocopo

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 JLURXR
Build Thread
Link
My ratcheting wrenches work great, but I agree with people who say "carry both." There sometimes are different use cases that make one better over the other. I have a small tool bag I toss them all in. I have to dig around to find the right sizes, but its a big space saver vs. having a box with special slots for every one.

Remorseless

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JLR 2.0T, '21 KL TH 3.2, '19 Charger R/T 5.7
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Holier Than Thou Internet Bully, Part-Time Online Boy Scout, Full-Time Arson Enthusiast
Honestly, I usually carry both. Ratcheting wrenches have the advantage in speed to get bolts on/off, but are usually thicker to accommodate the ratcheting mechanism, meaning they struggle in some hard to reach spots. Standard wrenches are thinner, but slower.

Sponsored

GATORB8

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLURe
I carry traditional metric combos in my trail bag, but almost exclusively use my ratcheting set in the garage for anything smaller than 19 mm.

Hard call on whether I'd go flex. I've been considering getting a set for the garage cause every once in a while it'd come in handy. I use my flex ratchets pretty often since they've got more leverage than the standards, but half the time they leave me cussing when the head flexes when I don't want it to.

I'm planning on rebuilding my trail bag, and think I'd likely be doing non-flex ratcheting up to the size the set comes in (~18mm), then keep the traditional combos for the larger suspension sizes.

I do have a set of metric 3/8" crowsfeet in the bag with a longer flex head 3/8" ratchet, but haven't needed to use them. They take up so little space when I got a bigger set for the garage, I tossed the old set in the trail bag.

jaymz

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubicon Unlimited
Flex heads are great for me on rare occasions. I stay away from them because they generally aren't necessary and seem to always flex when I don't want them to. The only time I ever had a real issue with a ratchet wrench was using the style that needs to be flipped to reverse directions. Wasn't paying attention and got it wedged between the flange on the bolt head and a bracket that I was removing. No way to get the wrench off, and no way to thread the bolt back in and start over. Had to get a Dremel and a half dozen abrasive wheels to cut the bolt head off.

Sponsored

OP
OP

RivaDriver

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 392
Following all the great feedback I am now leaning towards carrying both regular and ratcheting wrenches. Thanks!

Thane

First Name
Thane
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLURXR, 10 FJ Cruiser
The combos are a must. Second favorite is the Bahco quad ratchets, bulkier but 3 quads cover 8mm-19mm about everything and easy to keep track of.

Mocopo

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 JLURXR
Build Thread
Link
Flex heads are great for me on rare occasions. I stay away from them because they generally aren't necessary and seem to always flex when I don't want them to. The only time I ever had a real issue with a ratchet wrench was using the style that needs to be flipped to reverse directions. Wasn't paying attention and got it wedged between the flange on the bolt head and a bracket that I was removing. No way to get the wrench off, and no way to thread the bolt back in and start over. Had to get a Dremel and a half dozen abrasive wheels to cut the bolt head off.
Whew, I was afraid I was the only one!

JL MADDOG

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JL 2.0L Turbo
Occupation
Jeepin'
I carry both in my tool roll. The ratcheting wrenches are my go-to in most cases unless I can't slip them into the space. Then I rely on old-fashioned open-end wrenches.

blnewt

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep JL V6 SportS, (Retired 74 CJ-5, 80 CJ-7)
Occupation
Just ask @cosine he knows!
And don't forget you can also use the combo wrenches for extra high torque situations :)

Jeep Wrangler JL Standard Combination Wrench vs. Ratcheting Wrench 1659566925973
Sponsored