Loose steering feels like it has play and drifts

Danishers

First Name
Dane
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
jeep wrangler JL unlimited
Hahaha . Fix it with software ? Sounds like the nutty professor and the three stooges .

Jeeps are supposed to be tough hardware . ( Not fluffy software .)
I agree, I havent been really following this thread as... well its 100+ pages lol... but im not sure why they would want to do a software update when it can easily be fixed with a wrench and an allen key. also its not like they can even make a software update to stop the infotainment screens from just restarting
Sponsored

porcusRex

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
subaru
Hahaha . Fix it with software ? Sounds like the nutty professor and the three stooges .

Jeeps are supposed to be tough hardware . ( Not fluffy software .)
software controls the amount of pressure applied to the steering box making it easier or harder to turn the wheel and doing things like varying the power depending on how fast you are going and how fast you turn the wheel. lots of driver-oriented cars have various 'settings' to change things like throttle responsiveness, steering input, and if they have the right type of shock rebound/compression.

so it is possible to 'adjust' how the steering reacts with software since software controls the timing and amount of pressure applied to the steeting box.

can this fix the issues? perhaps it can mitigate them. i think the whole issue is wrapped up in the material the steering box is made with, aluminum, and how that box functions depending on how hot it is and how much the thing physically changes as it heats up. basically clearances within the unit. and the front suspension is involved to some extent with how its designed.

old8tora

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 JK Sport
software controls the amount of pressure applied to the steering box making it easier or harder to turn the wheel and doing things like varying the power depending on how fast you are going and how fast you turn the wheel. lots of driver-oriented cars have various 'settings' to change things like throttle responsiveness, steering input, and if they have the right type of shock rebound/compression.

so it is possible to 'adjust' how the steering reacts with software since software controls the timing and amount of pressure applied to the steeting box.

can this fix the issues? perhaps it can mitigate them. i think the whole issue is wrapped up in the material the steering box is made with, aluminum, and how that box functions depending on how hot it is and how much the thing physically changes as it heats up. basically clearances within the unit. and the front suspension is involved to some extent with how its designed.
Good information . However , @Jeepinformant twisted a nut ; and he used a hardware wrench .

Jeepsterfreak

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda, Future JLU
Good information . However , @Jeepinformant twisted a nut ; and he used a hardware wrench .
I agree but there are various reports of different problems.

1. Deadspot no wandering
2. Deadspot with wandering
3. No deadspot with wandering
4. Steering lock up
5 Temperature dependent problems
6. Steering not returning to center
7. Combination of more than one of these

Several members report the steering TSB flash has improved their steering to the point they consider the problem solved. Others report the TSB made no difference.

Unfortunately it seems like the problem could have multifold causes so one single remedy may not solve the problem which might entail both mechanical and software defects.

Sponsored

Saejin

First Name
Gene
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR - Firecracker Red
1. Deadspot no wandering
- TSB could fix...maybe not. Apply Jeep informant hardware fix as needed at steering box
- see above
- adjust caster to 6 degrees
- basically everything Jeep informant did
- trade in Jeep...pursue buyback
4. Steering lock up
- wear your seatbelt...good luck
- TSB should fix this
- move north
- F it...it’s a Jeep thing

Danishers

First Name
Dane
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
jeep wrangler JL unlimited
I agree but there are various reports of different problems.

1. Deadspot no wandering
4. Steering lock up

Several members report the steering TSB flash has improved their steering to the point they consider the problem solved. Others report the TSB made no difference.

Unfortunately it seems like the problem could have multifold causes so one single remedy may not solve the problem which might entail both mechanical and software defects.
I agree with your statement here, having made the steering box adjustment it fixed my issues 90% that 10% being that it still wanders, I believe my steering box is of the AC variant as well... I think the honest truth is there are many QC issues throughout the wrangler, the fact that the top of the line jeeps are coming of the factory with out of spec castor is totally unacceptable, then again maybe it is for chrysler...

Last edited:

SCWilly

First Name
RK and DK
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler Unlimited Willy Sport
Jeep Cares should be renamed to Jeep Run-Around or Jeep Doesn't care

We love our JL but they need to fix this steering issue asap!

Saejin

First Name
Gene
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR - Firecracker Red
Just a thought. Seen FCA jump through a few hoops to take care of issues depending on who brought the issue up. For example, some popular YouTube channels featuring the new JL brought up the steering lock up issue and bam FCA offered a buyback. It seems the more attention you’re able to generate based on the number of subscribers or views or whatever will get FCAs attention. Also other you tubers who focus on various other cars as well...if they bring up an issue the manufacturer jumps in pretty quick to offer a fix.

However I find it odd that none of those popular social media channels/users have brought the steering issue up except for Jeep Informant and I think TFL car (not sure of the exact name)...the major influencers on social media have been pretty silent on the issues with regards to steering.

Kind of gets you wondering what’s going on between them and FCA. May be nothing at all.

I watch a few YouTube channels that either deal with modifying Jeeps, off-roading Jeeps, test driving cars, etc and none have been very specific about the JL steering problems.

I think if we could get a major influencer behind us to showcase how much of an issue this is for some owners FCA may do something. Maybe start sharing Jeep Informants video everywhere we can. Until then they’ll keep ignoring it since JL sales figures are just increasing month by month.

Sponsored

Nicor

First Name
Nico
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
58 degrees today and the steering is really good.
I am going to adjust it anyway but can't get my head around such a drastic change going from 72 to 58.

After all the adjustment is a mechanical thing...

I do understand oil viscosity and such but the steering box sit in the engine bay so...

LLRubylady

First Name
Lisa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
was an ‘18 Rubicon Mojito! now a boring Mazda
Yep. Had my box replaced last week and the problem is solved. No point in trying to reinvent the wheel here. Just get your steering gear replaced.
What is the part number for the good steering box that will fix the issue?

HiJinx69

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler Sahara Unlimited JL, 2014 Mazda 6, 2010 Honda Odyssey, Yamaha FZ-09
Just a thought. Seen FCA jump through a few hoops to take care of issues depending on who brought the issue up. For example, some popular YouTube channels featuring the new JL brought up the steering lock up issue and bam FCA offered a buyback. It seems the more attention you’re able to generate based on the number of subscribers or views or whatever will get FCAs attention. Also other you tubers who focus on various other cars as well...if they bring up an issue the manufacturer jumps in pretty quick to offer a fix.

However I find it odd that none of those popular social media channels/users have brought the steering issue up except for Jeep Informant and I think TFL car (not sure of the exact name)...the major influencers on social media have been pretty silent on the issues with regards to steering.

Kind of gets you wondering what’s going on between them and FCA. May be nothing at all.

I watch a few YouTube channels that either deal with modifying Jeeps, off-roading Jeeps, test driving cars, etc and none have been very specific about the JL steering problems.

I think if we could get a major influencer behind us to showcase how much of an issue this is for some owners FCA may do something. Maybe start sharing Jeep Informants video everywhere we can. Until then they’ll keep ignoring it since JL sales figures are just increasing month by month.
As far as TFL Truck/cars, it reminded me of what happened to them with Subaru. They tested a car, maybe an outback, on their test trails they use for all their trucks and suv’s. The Subaru couldn’t get up the trails and gave it a thumbs down. After that, Subaru refused to give them any more cars to test. This was several years ago, so they went ahead and bought their own Subaru recently and was able to get up the trail after several attempts with different track settings.

So, maybe they are trying not to be so critical so they won’t offend the car makers. I actually contacted them in May about all the steering lock ups and they said they would look into it. To this day, nada, zilch!

Mickgolf00

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler JL

I think you’re right. Sqeaky wheel gets the grease. I think @Jeepinformant has been the best advocate for JL owners to date. He indicated that he’d been working with engineering but it didn’t sound like he was making much headway himself. More exposure and complaints may break the log jam. I suspect it’s coming down to a business decision for FCA at this point.

old8tora

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 JK Sport
I think you’re right. Sqeaky wheel gets the grease. I think @Jeepinformant has been the best advocate for JL owners to date. He indicated that he’d been working with engineering but it didn’t sound like he was making much headway himself. More exposure and complaints may break the log jam. I suspect it’s coming down to a business decision for FCA at this point.
@Jeepinformant actually discovered a fix , and did it .
Sponsored