Loose steering feels like it has play and drifts

c2m2h3

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 JKU Wrangler Sahara
Sorry for what might be a dumb question, but I saw the above post on the PSC Fix was for a Dana 30. Are the problems also on the Dana 44 front axle ?
Sponsored

Rdmitch

First Name
Ross
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR, ford transit 250, 2017 Wrangler Smoky Mountain Edition
Occupation
Mechanical designer /contractor and musician
Is there a technical service bulletin that applies to the 2020 model year as well? My service dept says they haven't had a single person bring in s JL for this issue.
Honda never had a oil dilution problem
Nissan never had a CRV shudder issue
Jeep does not have steering problems

Your dealer is lying...we all got the same corporate line on our initial complaint.

Last edited:

Rdmitch

First Name
Ross
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
addressing a few items here.

Some people with the aftermarket tie rod, LCA's, bearings, track bar and damper have had great results. So why do the PSC ?
Some have had no results with the above...but the PSC resolved the issue, so why do the "bars" ? There is no correlation between the problem and the fix as of yet.

So then in the future looking at trade in value, what happens to the market value after the entire factory steering gear box has been removed and replaced with the aftermarket PSC system ? Do you disclose that and say its been greatly improved admitting it was defective from day one, or just let it be the buyers problem.
Personally, if I was buying a used Jeep and saw it had a major system gutted and replaced with aftermarket
major steering components I would be a bit apprehensive about the purchase. Especially knowing if there was a problem I would be SOL from everyone unfamiliar with the PSC. Including Jeep dealers !
I would appreciated the better "bars" since that's a common item for people to upgrade. I would not consider the PSC an "upgrade". It's clearly a repair to a flawed system.

So.....the above being the case, how would anyone know where to spend their money Do them all, or try one first then the other. You're looking at $ 3,000-10,000 to play this game. Until I know which solution is true I'm gonna hold off and let the legal system do its thing. This is Jeeps issue to resolve.

As far as percentages of problems its not just 2018-19's. 2020's have the issue. Ignoring forum surveys and taking the approach that others say that its such a small percentage (like 1-3%) makes the issue even more clear that its not a normal thing and clearly a defect. If it was "normal", a higher percentage would have the problem.

Dkretden

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR 3.6L
Is there a technical service bulletin that applies to the 2020 model year as well? My service dept says they haven't had a single person bring in s JL for this issue.
which means that they HAVE had 2019’s and 2018’s come in? Ok, so when a dealer says something like this, ask him what has changed in a 2020 that solves the issue from the 2019s and 2018s that did come in. Most likely he will stare at you, blink, and look like a deer in your proverbial headlights...... that’s when he will start talking about the gonculator.

M0ondogy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
None
I was told Wednesday that FCA informed my attorney they are not offering to buy back the vehicle. 5 trips in and nothing has changed.
States attorney office would love to hear this depending on your states Lemon Laws.

If everything is documented and meets the law, you have a winning case on your hands.

Sponsored

Rdmitch

First Name
Ross
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
States attorney office would love to hear this depending on your states Lemon Laws.

If everything is documented and meets the law, you have a winning case on your hands.

Of course they won’t offer to buy it back. Sue them under the Magnuson- Moss act for breach of warranty. Your atty. will understand. And with the fee shifting laws it won’t cost you anything. Just be aware while this is going underway, don’t do any mods

ShawnC

First Name
Shawn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler JL Unlimited
Has anyone gone for "reimbursement" instead of FCA's "fix" for V41? I'm curious what the details/limits are, I don't see them listed on the Mopar site.

I'm asking as I'm not really sure I want FCA's "fix", but I also don't want to "waste" any reimbursement that may be available.. and I also want to make sure my Jeep doesn't show an outstanding recall should anything happen or if I decide to sell it one day.

Also, not the exact same topic, but where do you guys (and girls of course) check to see if there are TSB's for software updates? I'm not seeing anything on the Mopar site for this either and, even if I don't take my Jeep in for V41, I'd like to get any and all software updates in before I (finally) start modding instead of collecting boxes of fun stuff in my garage... my wife would also like said boxes out of the garage... :)

And, on that note (sorry, I'm needy today), I've heard people mention obtaining software updates and applying themselves... do you know of any resources online I could get more info about that?

My father retired, so he's not in the car business anymore, but I do have family friends who bought one of his dealerships... sadly they are 10+ hours from me now... I am going to ring them this week to get their take on the JL steering issues... If by chance I learn anything interesting, I'll surely post about it in this thread.

RagTopDeluxe

First Name
Julie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Punk'n Recon

Goin2drt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 Rubicon, 17 Grand Cherokee Trailhawk
addressing a few items here.

Some people with the aftermarket tie rod, LCA's, bearings, track bar and damper have had great results. So why do the PSC ?
Some have had no results with the above...but the PSC resolved the issue, so why do the "bars" ? There is no correlation between the problem and the fix as of yet.

So then in the future looking at trade in value, what happens to the market value after the entire factory steering gear box has been removed and replaced with the aftermarket PSC system ? Do you disclose that and say its been greatly improved admitting it was defective from day one, or just let it be the buyers problem.
Personally, if I was buying a used Jeep and saw it had a major system gutted and replaced with aftermarket
major steering components I would be a bit apprehensive about the purchase. Especially knowing if there was a problem I would be SOL from everyone unfamiliar with the PSC. Including Jeep dealers !
I would appreciated the better "bars" since that's a common item for people to upgrade. I would not consider the PSC an "upgrade". It's clearly a repair to a flawed system.

So.....the above being the case, how would anyone know where to spend their money Do them all, or try one first then the other. You're looking at $ 3,000-10,000 to play this game. Until I know which solution is true I'm gonna hold off and let the legal system do its thing. This is Jeeps issue to resolve.

As far as percentages of problems its not just 2018-19's. 2020's have the issue. Ignoring forum surveys and taking the approach that others say that its such a small percentage (like 1-3%) makes the issue even more clear that its not a normal thing and clearly a defect. If it was "normal", a higher percentage would have the problem.
Just curious what you are going to do in the meantime while this takes years for the “legal system” to take place? Going to keep your extremely unsafe Jeep in the garage while waiting? Trade yours in and wait until it gets fixed then buy another?

In the meantime I will be driving a safe Jeep and not become one of the stats from bad steering. Too each his own I guess. Enjoy your choice, while I enjoy mine.

Sponsored

kobejo34

First Name
Stephen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
[/QUOTE] but I also don't want to "waste" any reimbursement that may be available.[/QUOTE]

I submitted a receipt for the fox SS and had to escalate to Jeep leadership but they reimbursed me around $169. Other have had success without escalation. However my JL still says it has a recall so I don’t know how that affects the value.

Rdmitch

First Name
Ross
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Just curious what you are going to do in the meantime while this takes years for the “legal system” to take place? Going to keep your extremely unsafe Jeep in the garage while waiting? Trade yours in and wait until it gets fixed then buy another?

In the meantime I will be driving a safe Jeep and not become one of the stats from bad steering. Too each his own I guess. Enjoy your choice, while I enjoy mine.

Not a matter of years, it’s a matter of another month or two.

TravisRogers

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JL Sahara
Dealers are trained to play dumb. If you took your Wrangler in and said, “The doors and top come off,” they’d look at you and swear they’ve never heard of this. Though, based on my experience with Maryland service departments, they probably really wouldn’t have ever heard that the doors and too come off, so maybe bad example.

Rdmitch

First Name
Ross
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation