Sponsored

Looking for advice

sconrad24

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Willys JKU, 2021 4XE
Hey guys, wanted some real world advice from those who already have their 4xe. I just ordered mine on Saturday. Unfortunately, after doing more research, I starting to question my decision. I had thought that the hybrid system would augment the gas engine. It sounds like Hybrid mode does the opposite? It runs the electric battery augmented by gas until the battery is drained? My issue is that my commute to the office is 50 miles. So my thinking is that after break in, Ill get just over halfway to my office before draining the battery. If dont find a charger at work I guess my commute would be around 70% at 0?

The first 10 miles is hilly terrain. The last 10 is stop and go under 55 at best driving. Was hoping hybrid mode would shine at those parts. Any advice on what modes would work in this situation. It would only be 2 days a week. The rest at under 5 miles a day.
Sponsored

Echo4papa

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Sahara 4xe
Occupation
Success Engineer
Try it out in different modes to see which you like the most and which feels better for you. For example, if you'd rather save the main battery for the stop and go portion of your commute, run it in eSave until you get to that point, then put it in electric or hybrid.

To answer your question though, yes, Hybrid mode will favor the main battery first. Once it's depleted, you get the ICE augmented by the electric.

Run it different ways for multiple trips, log your miles and gas used. See which way gets you better results!

OP
OP
sconrad24

sconrad24

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
To answer your question though, yes, Hybrid mode will favor the main battery first. Once it's depleted, you get the ICE augmented by the electric.
Gotcha, so even if depleted I'd have some power for passing? Love the blue btw. I ordered hydro blue as well!

Echo4papa

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Sahara 4xe
Occupation
Success Engineer
Gotcha, so even if depleted I'd have some power for passing? Love the blue btw. I ordered hydro blue as well!
Thanks! Yes, definitely. You always have the electric side to pull on for extra power when needed. I drove from FL to Baltimore without charging the battery along the way and always had the electric side to count on when needing extra power.

Stitchedupseats

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
4xe, gladiator
Even once the battery hits the 1% mark. It will roll out. You could pass most cars on the road no problem. Itā€™s super quick. Be excited lol.

Sponsored

SnB4xe

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler High Altitude 4xe
You can imagine the high voltage battery as 3 sections. One is for you to use how you see fit. When you plug in, that is the section that charges up and displayed on the dash as a percentage of <1%-100%.

The other two sections of battery storage is for the vehicle. One is for use when in true hybrid mode (engine and motors working together). The third section is a reserve capacity managed by the charging system to prohibit the battery from ever being fully charged or fully discharged. That contributes to overall battery health.

OP
OP
sconrad24

sconrad24

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Even once the battery hits the 1% mark. It will roll out. You could pass most cars on the road no problem. Itā€™s super quick. Be excited lol.
That's what I want to hear! Coming from a JKU, I think anything will have better mpgs. I want the hybrid to kick in the electric motor when its needed.

Ratiogear

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 4xe Rubicon
I drove it 200miles home, did not get a chance to plug it in, then drove it around the next day with the top off, showing it off to my friends and family. I did probably the first 400miles with only the 96% I took it from the dealer with.

Of course I was flooring it with every new passenger to demonstrate the acceleration. Even at <1% battery, I still had all of the zoominess. It's got the speed for passing and accelerating, easy.

At 100 miles a day, your mileage could honestly be worse compared to the diesel, v6, or i4.

But if you aren't buying purely for the efficiency, and are interested in the hp and torque, it's still a great pick that's a ton of fun to drive.

OP
OP
sconrad24

sconrad24

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I drove it 200miles home, did not get a chance to plug it in, then drove it around the next day with the top off, showing it off to my friends and family. I did probably the first 400miles with only the 96% I took it from the dealer with.

Of course I was flooring it with every new passenger to demonstrate the acceleration. Even at <1% battery, I still had all of the zoominess. It's got the speed for passing and accelerating, easy.

At 100 miles a day, your mileage could honestly be worse compared to the diesel, v6, or i4.

But if you aren't buying purely for the efficiency, and are interested in the hp and torque, it's still a great pick that's a ton of fun to drive.
Yeah that is what had me second guessing my decision. I was thinking I should switch to the I4 or Diesel. But based off my JKU experience, driving around my town just drains my mpgs. I'll be home for the weekend, have over a half a tank, do several short drives and next thing I know I filling up before I leave Monday morning. Which makes me not want to drive on the weekends. But going all electric on weekends could be a game changer.

OP
OP
sconrad24

sconrad24

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
So what do you guys do on highways? Just let hybrid mode do its thing or use esave?

Sponsored

Ratiogear

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 4xe Rubicon
I work at an office in Dallas with site visits in the DFW area. Early morning slow commutes and drives home I go all electric. It's about 8 miles there, 85% 70mph highway. I'm only at ~900miles atm (picked it up on the 16th) but to and from work I have about 45% battery remaining, if I blast the air on full (which I don't need in the morning, but did anyway to test).

All electric has noticeably slower acceleration when I'm merging onto the highway, feels very sluggish and slow to accelerate above 55, but it still does fine. If I ever floor it or seek out acceleration rapidly for passing, it may kick in the ICE to get me there.

Below 55, you hardly notice a difference between hybrid and electric unless you do a ton of accelerating very quickly.

When I go to other sites and I know I'll be doing 40 or more miles that day, I let it run in hybrid.

michail

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Sahara 4xe
So what do you guys do on highways? Just let hybrid mode do its thing or use esave?
Hybrid mode will never do you wrong. Electric mode is good if you know you do not need any ICE by the time you can charge again and you want to minimize ICE use. They are just weighted versions of the same thing.

E-save could cost some efficiency but helps you get to a trail with 94/95% battery.

Some say running the engine in manual mode for around 80 miles is better but there have been no hard numbers.

michail

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Sahara 4xe
The first 10 miles is hilly terrain. The last 10 is stop and go under 55 at best driving. Was hoping hybrid mode would shine at those parts. Any advice on what modes would work in this situation. It would only be 2 days a week. The rest at under 5 miles a day.
On the hilly terrain, you may get some hybrid operation and regen on the way down if you aren't going too fast. It depends on incline, speed and wind.

Coming back with no e-range the ICE may also cut out on the down side of the hills.

Jocko

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Hydro Blue 4xe Rubicon
Iā€˜ve settled into the habit of always running e-save on the highway and saving the electric for off highway driving. A boxy Jeep needs quite a bit of energy to run at higher speeds, and the ICE and transmission can settle into a good spot to make the most of the ICEā€™s power. Off highway and stop/go traffic is where the electric really shines because you aren't wasting energy with an idling ICE. Thatā€™s my theory and Iā€™m sticking to it!
Sponsored