Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 JLUR 4xe
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Lawyer
Hi everyone. I've ordered my Sting Grey Rubicon and it's barely been two weeks with many more to go before it arrives.. In order to keep myself busy, I've been shopping in preparation and I found myself a killer deal on some 17" Fuel Rebels and 315x70 KO2's. Since that is out of the way, now I need to know what is it that I don't know about adding these on. Keep in mind that this is my first Jeep, so nothing is too dumb for you to assume I don't know. I'm especially concerned about things like reinforcing the tail gate, is that necessary? Will my backup camera work still? But anything is great to know. Thanks!
Sponsored

Shasta_Steve

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Toyota FJ, F150 Rubicon 4xe
I run the same as far as tire size. You are probably close to what is supposed to be max weight on the tailgate but I have not had an issue. Back up camera works fine. My backup alarms sometimes seem to come in a little more. Not sure this is related or not. What offset are you running on your wheels? A 0 offset would push your tires out about 1.75" plus half the extra width of the tire. I am running 1.75" spacers but when I buy wheels I will probably go positive 18mm so as to bring the tires back in a little.

Dyolfknip74

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Rubicon
I have 35" Duratracs load E tires and 17x9 Fuel Block wheels. I'm above the reccomended weight for the tail gate and it's held up fine in the last 6 months. Offset is important along with new bumpers for the tailgate. I just used pipe couplers from Home Depot that fit right over the OEM bumpers and my spare is solid.

OP
OP
Storm Cloud

Storm Cloud

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 JLUR 4xe
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Lawyer
I run the same as far as tire size. You are probably close to what is supposed to be max weight on the tailgate but I have not had an issue. Back up camera works fine. My backup alarms sometimes seem to come in a little more. Not sure this is related or not. What offset are you running on your wheels? A 0 offset would push your tires out about 1.75" plus half the extra width of the tire. I am running 1.75" spacers but when I buy wheels I will probably go positive 18mm so as to bring the tires back in a little.
I will be running a -12 to push them out, ever so slightly. :)

OP
OP
Storm Cloud

Storm Cloud

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 JLUR 4xe
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Lawyer
I have 35" Duratracs load E tires and 17x9 Fuel Block wheels. I'm above the reccomended weight for the tail gate and it's held up fine in the last 6 months. Offset is important along with new bumpers for the tailgate. I just used pipe couplers from Home Depot that fit right over the OEM bumpers and my spare is solid.
I think the max recommended weight for the tailgate is 85 lbs and this tire/wheel combo is 94. Doesn’t seem like a lot, but I don’t know what I don’t know.

Sponsored

Dyolfknip74

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Rubicon
I think the max recommended weight for the tailgate is 85 lbs and this tire/wheel combo is 94. Doesn’t seem like a lot, but I don’t know what I don’t know.
Yep. Mines been on for about 6 months. All is super stout but I will be getting reinforcement. CavFab tire carrier actually.

OP
OP
Storm Cloud

Storm Cloud

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 JLUR 4xe
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Lawyer
Yep. Mines been on for about 6 months. All is super stout but I will be getting reinforcement. CavFab tire carrier actually.
I hadn't seen that one, but it looks like a good one. Let us know how it works out for you and if you have any sensor issues with it.

Dyolfknip74

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Rubicon
I hadn't seen that one, but it looks like a good one. Let us know how it works out for you and if you have any sensor issues with it.
There are a lot of people running it. There are a few threads on it.

Honestly, my sensors are pretty good now, but I'm really not concerned about them.

cdyoung9799

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Rubicon X
As others have stated, if you're reasonably close to the recommended weight limit for the factory tire carrier, you should be fine.

Another thing to consider is, if you plan on doing any offroading that would cause repeated stress on this bracket, it might be worth your while to invest in an upgraded part. Occasional mild-to-medium offroading shouldn't create a problem. But if you hit harder trails that create a lot of stress on your rig, or if you find you're doing more offroading than you thought you would, it's better to go a little overboard on strength on parts than to see your spare snap off while you're on the trails.
Sponsored