Looking for advice on skid plates

CsD

First Name
Cory
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Rubicon 4xe
Hi all. Looking to protect my underbelly from those pesky 🪨 when I pick a bad line. Has anyone installed any skid plates? Price is a concern but not as bad as weight.

i did find some by Asfir but not sure on the brand or quality yet. @ASFIR4X4 do you have any deals or anything to sway a possible investor?

Open to your advice and out suggestions. Would prefer aluminum dependent on weight.
Sponsored

Last edited:

GATORB8

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLURe
Diffs, FAD, and LCAs are standard so options are wide there.

I have the MC rear diff and Fad, MORE Sway Bar, RC rear LCA (don’t recommend, but they do work).

I have the rock hard front LCA skids, but need to modify to work with the MC FAD skid to install. The Rock Hards are on another level compared to the RC ones.

Stock underbelly stuff has held up for us pretty well, I have replaced the trans skid “bar” due to damage.

Remorseless

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JLR 2.0T, '21 KL TH 3.2, '19 Charger R/T 5.7
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Holier Than Thou Internet Bully, Part-Time Online Boy Scout, Full-Time Arson Enthusiast
What engine do you have? And what are you looking to protect? How often do you see trails that have rocks that could pose a threat to equipment underneath?

Sponsored

GATORB8

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLURe
Hi all. Looking to protect my underbelly from those pesky 🪨 when I pick a bad line. Has anyone installed any skid plates? Price is a concern but not as bad as weight.

i did find some by Asfir but not sure on the brand or quality yet. @ASFIR4X4 do you have any deals or anything to sway a possible investor?

Open to your advice and out suggestions. Would prefer aluminum dependent on weight.
Sorry for multiple posts, but make sure you check shipping on Asfir, it’s international. I want to say there’s a forum code for half off shipping.

IIRC MC’s under cloak is available if you’re looking to spend serious cash.

Rangemaster

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL Rubicon Diesel
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Business Owner
Go metal cloak, they are only a 100 pounds more but the slide over rocks so much better.

Sazabi19

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 Gator Gladiator Sport S, '22 Gobi JLR
Sorry for multiple posts, but make sure you check shipping on Asfir, it’s international. I want to say there’s a forum code for half off shipping.

IIRC MC’s under cloak is available if you’re looking to spend serious cash.
They have 1/2 off shipping right now anyways. I think it was about $300 for half price to ship to me. I said thanks but no thanks lol. Was just an exploratory look.

ExpeditionBuilds

Rock Sponsor (Level 1)
First Name
Steven
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler Recon
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Photographer/ Content Creator
Artec Aluminum. Light weight and you'll actually gain about 3/4" of clearance compared to the factory skids.
Jeep Wrangler JL Looking for advice on skid plates Artec Skids

-Steven

Tool Guy

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR, 2020 BMW Z4, 2021 Tacoma, 2022 X3 M40i
Vote for MetalCloak here, I did the full UnderCloak on the 2.0 eTourque before the recent Rubicon trip and was very happy with them.

Jeep Wrangler JL Looking for advice on skid plates PXL_20220716_155154784

Sponsored

CarbonSteel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Bronco Wildtrak
Vehicle Showcase
I have Metal Cloak and highly recommend them. They are havier than aluminum, but built like tanks. I installed all of them myself with no help so they are not crazy heavy.

For the axles I have Next Venture and recommend them as well.

OP
OP
CsD

CsD

First Name
Cory
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Rubicon 4xe
What engine do you have? And what are you looking to protect? How often do you see trails that have rocks that could pose a threat to equipment underneath?
4xe so 2.0 turbo. Don’t do heavy rock crawling however I do end up going over enough that I just want to protect the bottom side. My biggest nemesis right now seems to be branched poking up and getting caught. Won’t solve that 100% but it’ll help.

entropy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler Sport S JL 2-D
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Professional dancer/male stripper
I have the asfir engine/tranny skid and rancho front diff. Everything else is OEM and taking a beating. The asfir skid is pretty nice. I got it last year for about $350 including shipping.

Reactions: CsD

Sazabi19

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 Gator Gladiator Sport S, '22 Gobi JLR
So real question, why isn't the driveshaft covered? I would think that's vulnerable enough to warrant covering. I'd love to get a skid system but they're hard to find for a 2 door and expensive (in aluminum) when I can find 1 :(

ColoradoMike

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLUR XR
You can definitely feel good about the Asfir brand and quality; I have the engine/oil pan and transmission skids and have worked them hard on level 6 trails in Moab, and they have been great. The company was great to work with. Though that Artec setup that Steven showed looks really good. All the people recommending Metalcloak seem to be ignoring the OP who said that he doesn't rock crawl that much and that weight is a primary concern; so going with the heaviest thing because it's built like a tank... really ignores his premise.
Sponsored