Sponsored

Lock Boxes That Don't Require A Key?

WranglinNYC

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 2-Door JL
I'm looking to add a lockbox to my 2-door JL. I see a lot of recommendations for the Tuffy center console safe.

The problem is this: I surf, and it's a lot easier to be able to leave the jeep with nothing, meaning leave my cell phone, wallet and keys in the jeep. Ideally I would go for a safe that has a number passcode instead of a key.

Are there any lockboxes out there that fit a 2-door JL that have a number code instead of a key?
Sponsored

SurfJeep

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep JLU Willys
I use Hitch Safe to lock my keys, and a Tailgate lockbox with combo spinners for top/doors off days.

Any time either of these products (or any other lock box) is posted, people are quick to come and state they’re extremely easy to pick, etc…. I’ve never had a problem. But I keep very little of value in my Jeep when going surfing anyway.

OP
OP
WranglinNYC

WranglinNYC

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 2-Door JL
I use Hitch Safe to lock my keys, and a Tailgate lockbox with combo spinners for top/doors off days.

Any time either of these products (or any other lock box) is posted, people are quick to come and state they’re extremely easy to pick, etc…. I’ve never had a problem. But I keep very little of value in my Jeep when going surfing anyway.
Great idea, thanks.

New JLs don't come default with a hitch receiver, right? I just got mine and need to check if I have one, but I don't believe I do.

SurfJeep

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep JLU Willys
Great idea, thanks.

New JLs don't come default with a hitch receiver, right? I just got mine and need to check if I have one, but I don't believe I do.
If you don’t have one, they’re cheap and incredibly easy to install.

Sponsored

OP
OP
WranglinNYC

WranglinNYC

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 2-Door JL

tk1700

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU Altitude, 2021 JLUR, 2016 Tundra
I have the Tuffy console safe and a combo lock on it. I ordered direct from Tuffy and added the combo lock option. I was about $20 extra if i remember correctly. The safe easily fits a single stack 9mm, wallet and smart phone with some extra room.

OP
OP
WranglinNYC

WranglinNYC

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 2-Door JL
I have the Tuffy console safe and a combo lock on it. I ordered direct from Tuffy and added the combo lock option. I was about $20 extra if i remember correctly. The safe easily fits a single stack 9mm, wallet and smart phone with some extra room.
Bad ass - that is exactly the setup I ordered last night. Great minds?

How long did the install take you?

tk1700

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU Altitude, 2021 JLUR, 2016 Tundra
Bad ass - that is exactly the setup I ordered last night. Great minds?

How long did the install take you?
I did a loose assembly and swapped the lock on the work bench in about 30 minutes then about an hour to install in the jeep. I left the arm that holds the door open off as I didn't like how much space it took up. I don't have a problem with the lid staying open.

OP
OP
WranglinNYC

WranglinNYC

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 2-Door JL
Ah good idea, I'll do the combo lock assembly inside before I bring it out to the jeep

Sponsored

OldBlue

First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
See my Signature
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Aerospace Forgings Test Lab
Vehicle Showcase
Maybe not quite what you're looking for, but I use one of THESE secured to the seat frame. Works good for the obvious use, but also if we're on the water or out hiking, it's a nice place to store the key fob when the top is off.

Suffolklou

First Name
Lou
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR
I have the tuffy center console safe with the combo. I like it. You may need something like a faraday bag also, I think locking the key in there would let someone push start and go.

OP
OP
WranglinNYC

WranglinNYC

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 2-Door JL
I have the tuffy center console safe with the combo. I like it. You may need something like a faraday bag also, I think locking the key in there would let someone push start and go.
That's a good idea, although if you lock it, the car can't start with push button:

Don't mind the dude's redneck kermit the frog voice ;)

Rustynail11

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Wrangler JLU Rubicon
you can upgrade the lock on the Tuffy to a combination lock, think it is an extra $30

Suffolklou

First Name
Lou
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR
That's a good idea, although if you lock it, the car can't start with push button:

Don't mind the dude's redneck kermit the frog voice ;)
Good to know. It also locks the tailgate, thus the compartment under the tailgate
Sponsored