Sponsored

Lift kit advice, Rock Krawler a solid choice?

Goosed

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR
I had a RK lift for some time on my JK, live in NE OH and they bribe and salt like crazy. I did not have issues with peeling powder coating at all. I probably should have. If the winters get mild they blast a ton of salt to get rid of it.

If there are issues people are having, they have to be isolated and not mainstream issues.
Sponsored

conFUcius

First Name
Stephen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Sting-Gray JLU Rubicon 3.6 V6
Occupation
Medical Affairs
Noob here and I just got my 2020 JLUR back with the RK Adventure Series 2 with their Stage 1 shocks. Certainly love the way it rides and was very happy with their kit on my 2014 JKU Sahara (I had the TF Falcon shocks though and I would at that, so far, the RK Stage 1 shocks are better).

Could someone here help me understand what tools I would need to appropriately grease and do maintenance myself? Would I have to put the Jeep on a lift or unbolt things or can I just shoot some lube on?

oceanblue2019

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR 2.0L Auto
Occupation
Metrology
Noob here and I just got my 2020 JLUR back with the RK Adventure Series 2 with their Stage 1 shocks. Certainly love the way it rides and was very happy with their kit on my 2014 JKU Sahara (I had the TF Falcon shocks though and I would at that, so far, the RK Stage 1 shocks are better).

Could someone here help me understand what tools I would need to appropriately grease and do maintenance myself? Would I have to put the Jeep on a lift or unbolt things or can I just shoot some lube on?
You just need a grease gun and some good grease. A couple of the zerk fittings can be a challenge to get to and someone on here suggested a certain grease gun fitting that made it easier. Or Roky suggests right angle zerks which worked for me.

conFUcius

First Name
Stephen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Medical Affairs
You just need a grease gun and some good grease. A couple of the zerk fittings can be a challenge to get to and someone on here suggested a certain grease gun fitting that made it easier. Or Roky suggests right angle zerks which worked for me.
Something like these two? I’m pretty new at this so pardon the stupid questions.

https://www.amazon.com/Bravex-Heavy...coding=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=P5HP47MWEP028PCP82GS

https://www.amazon.com/LockNLube-fi...coding=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=P5HP47MWEP028PCP82GS

I’ll watch some videos on how to apply.

Sponsored

entropy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler Sport S JL 2-D
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Professional dancer/male stripper
Sorry Ben, I can't get on the engineer worship wagon. There are good engineers and there are bad engineers, having an engineering degree doesn't make them superman. Counterpoint to your point: Everything that has ever broken was engineered.
Engineering degrees are overrated. I mean, theyre not easy to get. At all, pretty hard actually. But the trade of engineering is vastly different from academia engineering.

I have both a bachelors and a graduate degree in mechanical engineering. I was top of my class. I worked as a design engineer for 2 years, honestly I wasnt very good at it, so I ended up switching careers and I am much better at what I do now.

An engineering degree means sh!t in the real world.

RubiSc0tt

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR in Punk'n Orange
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Turn Wrenches/ Write code
I ran an RK 3.5 XFactor Long arm with a 4 link rear and XFactor Steering system on my 98TJ sport. I LOVED that system. It let my TJ on 33's with one locker keep up with and even surpass larger, more equipped rigs thanks to the suspension travel. OF course, I ran no bumpstops because I was young and stupid and never cared about the Fenders on that rig. It went places it had no business being, and It's still under that Jeep, wheeling on 37's in Texas somewhere, last I knew. I never had issues with powdercoating and I straight up abused that Jeep. I gouged arms, scraped and dented skid plates, it rusted, but nothing else ever happened. The Joints were squeaky but I just hit them with WD40 occasionally and called it a day (young and stupid, remember?). The Powder coating on the belly skid was finally starting to peel after 3-4 years of year round daily driving and brutal, abusive Northeast wheeling (for reference, this was c.2008-2012, Sold in 2013).

Needless to say, i'm going RK when the time comes with the JLUR. I talked to a couple others this summer when I went to Rausch Creek who had RK setups (2.5 X Factor, 2.5 Max Flex IIRC) and other than being a tad leery about cutting the one axle bracket (Driver side LCA), and slight rubbing of ~37x12.5x17R on Mopar beadlocks with close to factory back spacing at full lock, they had no issues and loved the kits. I'll probably go XFactor again and end up shooting the entire underside with Fluid Film again because rust belt, and that should postpone any worries about rust.
Keep in mind though, for those outside the rust belt: most vehicles here in the rust belt see rusting after 1-2 daily driven winters if they aren't treated or something.

FWIW I can confirm RK got new Powder coating Equipment. I have several friends who work there or with them. I've been to their facility, too.

Side note: I'm amazed nobody pointed out doing a search for issues with the Mopar kit. There are some threads where people brag about buying Mopar, then several threads later they're buying parts piecemeal from RK, Metalcloak, Synergy, and several other manufacturers to remedy the issues the Mopar kit (which is just springs and LCA's, if i recall correctly) caused. Ironically I found this out because I was looking for reviews on 2.5 vs. 3.5" RK kits and Max Flex vs. XFactor lol

Toycrusher

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
On the powdercoat side, even the best quality powercoat is easily destroyed by electrolysis, and galvanic corrosion. That electro-chemical degradation passes straight through powdercoat, eating at the surface layer and resulting in flaking. Saltwater exposure speeds this process up exponentially. "Your results may vary" well suits the expected lifespan of powdercoat.

word302

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU
I realize things happen... hopefully you’ll get it all under control. Until then I’m entitled to share my experience. That’s what these forums are for, to help one another. Until then though, please don’t be posting that the coating you have now is far superior etc. I and others I found from just a quick search have been having significant issues lately. You posted here in June 2020 that everything was all overhauled on 2018 and everything is far superior. How bad was it back then if it’s far superior now?
How’s the powder on your replacement parts? Seems like you’re bashing a company that’s done everything to make things right for you.

JimLee

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 JLU
Engineering degrees are overrated. I mean, theyre not easy to get. At all, pretty hard actually. But the trade of engineering is vastly different from academia engineering.

I have both a bachelors and a graduate degree in mechanical engineering. I was top of my class. I worked as a design engineer for 2 years, honestly I wasnt very good at it, so I ended up switching careers and I am much better at what I do now.

An engineering degree means sh!t in the real world.
Yea, I'm not discounting the education people have gotten, it's definitely not easy and it's admirable that they went through the time and cost to get those achievements. But I work with, and have worked with engineers every day for over 30 years now. Some of them are brilliant, those are the guys who go on to become inventors and scientists. One brilliant guy invents a product or the concept of a product, an army of engineers helps him make his idea a reality. I've met a couple of truly gifted people in aviation, people responsible for the creation of some very good aircraft, some who broke the mold and innovated the whole concept of aviation, they are not all engineers, a couple of them have no degrees at all. For every brilliant engineer I've met I've met dozens that can do the math but that's it, those people will never go on to actually create something, they just run numbers for people who do. As much as people don't want to see the writing on the wall, engineering is going to become a dead end field someday, the market is oversaturated and flooded even more every year. What some are figuring out, and my company surely is starting to get it, is that a high schooler with a laptop can make a dozen engineers obsolete, it's 90% math, and what do computers do best, math. My company hires EE's at $18 an hour to observe tests and write down numbers, they don't even interpret the data, just write it down and plug it into a spreadsheet. And they are happy to have the work, even at that rate, because there's so many people running around with EE degrees, and being imported from other countries, that there isn't enough work to go around. We've also got engineers taking jobs in aviation maintenance, because there aren't enough engineering jobs around, and quite frankly the maintenance fields pay much better because it such a specialized field. I was headed down the EE path, it's a logical move from decades of working aviation avionics and then I took a step back and realized that the money and future just isn't there, management is far more lucrative, and I have to say that my retirement fund agrees with that decision. I respect peoples engineering degrees, I just don't think the world revolves around them.

Last edited:

Sponsored

JimLee

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 JLU
Something like these two? I’m pretty new at this so pardon the stupid questions.

https://www.amazon.com/Bravex-Heavy...coding=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=P5HP47MWEP028PCP82GS

https://www.amazon.com/LockNLube-fi...coding=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=P5HP47MWEP028PCP82GS

I’ll watch some videos on how to apply.
I wouldn't waste money on the "lockNlube" gizmo unless you have some other things to grease as well. The fittings on the RK kits can be a little tricky to get on because of tight clearances and that thing looks bulky. This gizmo works wonders attached to a grease gun:
https://www.amazon.com/Lincoln-Lubrication-5883-Slotted-Coupler/dp/B000G76OMA

I can grease every one of my fittings while doing a tire rotation with that coupler attached to my grease gun. Like I said, the access is tight, but once you figure out the sweet spot to get on all of them it only adds about 10 minutes to my 5 tire rotations.

JimLee

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 JLU
I ran an RK 3.5 XFactor Long arm with a 4 link rear and XFactor Steering system on my 98TJ sport. I LOVED that system. It let my TJ on 33's with one locker keep up with and even surpass larger, more equipped rigs thanks to the suspension travel. OF course, I ran no bumpstops because I was young and stupid and never cared about the Fenders on that rig. It went places it had no business being, and It's still under that Jeep, wheeling on 37's in Texas somewhere, last I knew. I never had issues with powdercoating and I straight up abused that Jeep. I gouged arms, scraped and dented skid plates, it rusted, but nothing else ever happened. The Joints were squeaky but I just hit them with WD40 occasionally and called it a day (young and stupid, remember?). The Powder coating on the belly skid was finally starting to peel after 3-4 years of year round daily driving and brutal, abusive Northeast wheeling (for reference, this was c.2008-2012, Sold in 2013).

Needless to say, i'm going RK when the time comes with the JLUR. I talked to a couple others this summer when I went to Rausch Creek who had RK setups (2.5 X Factor, 2.5 Max Flex IIRC) and other than being a tad leery about cutting the one axle bracket (Driver side LCA), and slight rubbing of ~37x12.5x17R on Mopar beadlocks with close to factory back spacing at full lock, they had no issues and loved the kits. I'll probably go XFactor again and end up shooting the entire underside with Fluid Film again because rust belt, and that should postpone any worries about rust.
Keep in mind though, for those outside the rust belt: most vehicles here in the rust belt see rusting after 1-2 daily driven winters if they aren't treated or something.

FWIW I can confirm RK got new Powder coating Equipment. I have several friends who work there or with them. I've been to their facility, too.

Side note: I'm amazed nobody pointed out doing a search for issues with the Mopar kit. There are some threads where people brag about buying Mopar, then several threads later they're buying parts piecemeal from RK, Metalcloak, Synergy, and several other manufacturers to remedy the issues the Mopar kit (which is just springs and LCA's, if i recall correctly) caused. Ironically I found this out because I was looking for reviews on 2.5 vs. 3.5" RK kits and Max Flex vs. XFactor lol
Another thing about the Mopar control arms, they are hollow, they have great longitudinal strength but bring one down hard (laterally) on a rock and watch it fold like a taco. It took aftermarket companies to recognize that critical shortcoming and design something that could withstand the level of abuse a lot of us put our Jeeps through.

conFUcius

First Name
Stephen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Medical Affairs
I wouldn't waste money on the "lockNlube" gizmo unless you have some other things to grease as well. The fittings on the RK kits can be a little tricky to get on because of tight clearances and that thing looks bulky. This gizmo works wonders attached to a grease gun:
https://www.amazon.com/Lincoln-Lubrication-5883-Slotted-Coupler/dp/B000G76OMA

I can grease every one of my fittings while doing a tire rotation with that coupler attached to my grease gun. Like I said, the access is tight, but once you figure out the sweet spot to get on all of them it only adds about 10 minutes to my 5 tire rotations.
Thanks! That grease gun would work though, yes? Can’t wait to be squirting lube everywhere :giggle:

JimLee

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 JLU
Thanks! That grease gun would work though, yes? Can’t wait to be squirting lube everywhere :giggle:
Yea, that one should be fine, the 90 degree adaptor just threads on where the straight fitting normally goes. The joints are close tolerance, it doesn't take much grease at all, so go easy. And most importantly have fun!

conFUcius

First Name
Stephen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Medical Affairs
Yea, that one should be fine, the 90 degree adaptor just threads on where the straight fitting normally goes. The joints are close tolerance, it doesn't take much grease at all, so go easy. And most importantly have fun!
Appreciate the advice/insight! One always has a good time with lube... one has a better time when there’s a female involved though :LOL: ;)
Sponsored