LED Headlights

GreyFox

First Name
Brandy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 JKU, 19 JL
I checked, i have no DRL option under settings. The knob on the dash i can set to just have fender lights on btu then id have to manually switch it to "auto" at night. Seems like a waste to have that option in the knob, or to have that as an option to manually turn on but not just have it as an option to leave on all the time.
I agree. I don't know why the Sport didn't come with DRL and have the LED option.
Sponsored

TimmH

First Name
Timm
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Wrangler Sahara 3.6 Auto
Vehicle Showcase
Well then you will have to run the remote leads to an ignition source to use as DRLs or to the turn signal to use as a blinker (I don't personally like this, I think it looks weird when a cars headlights are off so a halo can be blinking)

I get a lot of compliments on my Amber halos as DRLs

OP
OP
Archer85

Archer85

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JL Sport S
Well then you will have to run the remote leads to an ignition source to use as DRLs or to the turn signal to use as a blinker (I don't personally like this, I think it looks weird when a cars headlights are off so a halo can be blinking)

I get a lot of compliments on my Amber halos as DRLs
I dont think the headlights turn off when the halo's blink, it just goes from white to amber and flashes but the headlights stay on. Right now I just have the halo's running to a source so they are my DRL's. Do you think if i ran the 'turn signal' wire to a source then the amber halo would be my DRL and when the lights come on the amber halo would automatically go white? That would be different and kinda cool. I added LED bulbs to the fenders and they work great but ofcourse my blinker in the vehicle blinks REALLY fast and when i turn the jeep on a notification comes on saying both turn signals are out.

TimmH

First Name
Timm
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Not sure what you mean by "Do you think if i ran the 'turn signal' wire to a source"

In mine, the lights being on overrides the amber halos, and turns them white.

As far ad LED bulbs in the turn signals you need the resistors, but beware, they get HOT....I installed them in my taillights, and used double stick tap to mount them to the housing, thinking the tape would be enough insulation to protect the housing....Well, I was wrong, one of them melted down in to the housing and I cannot get it removed without breaking housing. :)

Of course it is possible that one was bad, since even with it installed, my Jeep always told me my right rear turn signal was out.

OP
OP
Archer85

Archer85

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JL Sport S
Not sure what you mean by "Do you think if i ran the 'turn signal' wire to a source"

In mine, the lights being on overrides the amber halos, and turns them white.

As far ad LED bulbs in the turn signals you need the resistors, but beware, they get HOT....I installed them in my taillights, and used double stick tap to mount them to the housing, thinking the tape would be enough insulation to protect the housing....Well, I was wrong, one of them melted down in to the housing and I cannot get it removed without breaking housing. :)

Of course it is possible that one was bad, since even with it installed, my Jeep always told me my right rear turn signal was out.
My headlights came with a connector for the actual headlights, then one wire that was orangish/pinkish that was the connect to the halo (so u could run it as a DRL), another green wire is there to run to the turn signals which powers the amber halo for when the blinker is on. What i mean is running that straight to a power source instead of tapping into the turn signal.

And yea ive read resistors are needed to stop that fast blink but i can get used to it. Do you mean the LED lights get that hot????? I def wont run the fender lights as DRL's if they get that hot and its such an issue! good to know!!!

Sponsored

TimmH

First Name
Timm
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
The halos work from the main connector, the separate wires are just like remote turn-on leads, like an amplifier. So the white halo will always come on with the headlights being on. The other leads are for whatever function you want them to run (White/Amber halo as DRL or as turn signals).

The replacement turn signal LED bulbs get warm, not hot, but the resistors to stop the hyperflash get very hot.

OP
OP
Archer85

Archer85

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JL Sport S
The halos work from the main connector, the separate wires are just like remote turn-on leads, like an amplifier. So the white halo will always come on with the headlights being on. The other leads are for whatever function you want them to run (White/Amber halo as DRL or as turn signals).

The replacement turn signal LED bulbs get warm, not hot, but the resistors to stop the hyperflash get very hot.
Oh its the resistors that get hot! Okay, i can deal with a quick "turn signals out" notification when i turn the jeep on and the quick flash green arrow when the signals are on, thats not a big deal to me. Thanks for the heads up man!

EgGreg

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2003 Jeep
A while back I made a pnp jumper to steal signals (or drl or turn or park) from the side light harness. Problem is getting to the connector you’d have to pull the fender liner as the connector sits about 3ft back from the headlight

479B85C7-15F6-44E5-92E2-FA0071057F60.jpeg

blnewt

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep JL V6 SportS, (Retired 74 CJ-5, 80 CJ-7)
Occupation
Just ask @cosine he knows!
I just ordered the Oracle LED switchbacks for the JL fenders, these include a CANBUS circuit built into the light so no hyper flash. Will have them soon so I can give a review on them. I'm hoping I can use the same 12v source that I use for my headlight DRLs to run the fender DRLs and combine my halo amber wire to the fender turn signal flasher so I get amber halo & fender turn signal to blink in harmony~wish me luck!
Here's the fender lights I ordered~
https://www.oraclelights.com/produc...switchback-high-output-can-bus-led-bulbs-pair
FWIW there are cheaper options on ebay, but you MUST use lights that are 7443 CK, if they don't have the CK in the part # they won't work w/ the JL turn signal bulb socket as the polarity is different than a regular 7443. Also, the cheaper lights don't have a CANBUS circuit so you will get hyper-flash if you don't get the resistor packs to take care of that.

OP
OP
Archer85

Archer85

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JL Sport S
I just ordered the Oracle LED switchbacks for the JL fenders, these include a CANBUS circuit built into the light so no hyper flash. Will have them soon so I can give a review on them. I'm hoping I can use the same 12v source that I use for my headlight DRLs to run the fender DRLs and combine my halo amber wire to the fender turn signal flasher so I get amber halo & fender turn signal to blink in harmony~wish me luck!
Here's the fender lights I ordered~
https://www.oraclelights.com/produc...switchback-high-output-can-bus-led-bulbs-pair
FWIW there are cheaper options on ebay, but you MUST use lights that are 7443 CK, if they don't have the CK in the part # they won't work w/ the JL turn signal bulb socket as the polarity is different than a regular 7443. Also, the cheaper lights don't have a CANBUS circuit so you will get hyper-flash if you don't get the resistor packs to take care of that.
You may still have issues with your inside green turn signal flashing very quickly, but on the outside it will look normal. Mine were $60 and said they worked with the JL so there were no issues with hyper-flash, etc... and still i got hyper flash AND the jeep says "turn signals out" when i start the jeep. Also, take a look at how the jeep looks with just halo's as DRL's. I was going to have halo's and fender flares as DRL's and decided it was a little TOO much light (almost like my lights were just on during the day). So dont waste ur time running wires to fenders for DRL's if you dont have to.

Jeep 1.jpg

jeep 2.jpg

jeep 3.jpg

Sponsored

blnewt

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Haven't rec'd mine yet so hopefully won't have any hyperflashing issues, I'll be sure to post results. FWIW my lights have split halos that aren't too bright so the fender DRLs should be a good addition there, we'll see :)

OP
OP
Archer85

Archer85

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JL Sport S
Haven't rec'd mine yet so hopefully won't have any hyperflashing issues, I'll be sure to post results. FWIW my lights have split halos that aren't too bright so the fender DRLs should be a good addition there, we'll see :)
Yea my halo's have the option to be amber turn signals but the white halo's are kind of bright. I hope your's arent b/c the halo plus fender lights look awesome!!!! Can't wait to hear how it turns out man, def post pics!

Rdmitch

First Name
Ross
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR, ford transit 250, 2017 Wrangler Smoky Mountain Edition
Occupation
Mechanical designer /contractor and musician
Maybe a dumb question, but I just received new led headlights with a halo ring. The ring has 2 leads off of it. 1 for turn signals and 1 for drls. Is there a reason I can’t just tap these into the same wires the fender mounted lamps are tied,into?
If not I can get to the fuse box easily enough for the DRLs, but where do I splice the turn signal wire to ?

blnewt

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Maybe a dumb question, but I just received new led headlights with a halo ring. The ring has 2 leads off of it. 1 for turn signals and 1 for drls. Is there a reason I can’t just tap these into the same wires the fender mounted lamps are tied,into?
If not I can get to the fuse box easily enough for the DRLs, but where do I splice the turn signal wire to ?
Your Sahara should have the fender DRLs along w/ the turn signal in those two part lights. Should be able to splice into the DRL wire for your halo and the turn signal wire for your amber halo switchback. Wiring colors are here~
https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/JL-Wiring-Diagrams/TURN-SIGNAL-LAMPS-SYSTEM.pdf
https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/JL-Wiring-Diagrams/PARK-LAMPS-SYSTEM.pdf

Rdmitch

First Name
Ross
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR, ford transit 250, 2017 Wrangler Smoky Mountain Edition
Occupation
Mechanical designer /contractor and musician
Your Sahara should have the fender DRLs along w/ the turn signal in those two part lights. Should be able to splice into the DRL wire for your halo and the turn signal wire for your amber halo switchback. Wiring colors are here~
https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/JL-Wiring-Diagrams/TURN-SIGNAL-LAMPS-SYSTEM.pdf
https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/JL-Wiring-Diagrams/PARK-LAMPS-SYSTEM.pdf

Kind of what I thought, I put the headlights in today and will get to the wiring for the drls next week. Was thinking that I might not do the turn signal connection and just power the drls from the fuse box. However trying to find a fuse box tap for these microfuses is a real trip.
Had to go online for them.

E85B07D9-456F-4244-BCBF-1E1DC7E21292.jpeg
Sponsored