First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubicon
Occupation
Attorney
Ford put uncoated seats in King Ranch trucks for a few years and got a ton of complaints due to staining. Most people do nothing to take care of their seats other than bush the food crumbs off.
I had a King Ranch years ago and my seats looked terrible. I know it was supposed to be saddle leather or whatever, but by 50-60k miles the driver seat looked godawful. I basically apologized to people riding in it for the first time. Only vehicle I've ever owned where I've had a seat recovered. Traded it for a Raptor and the black leather never faded. Did not want leather in the JL since I live in GA heat and frequently have the top down.
Sponsored

Wbino

First Name
Walter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler JL H.A. -- 1999 SLK 230
Occupation
Retired
Keep in mind, unless you have a very high end vehicle your "leather seating surfaces" have a color coat and a clear coat applied. Both of those coats are synthetic and provide uniform color and texture. Too much cleaning and buffing will rub through those coats. Leather conditioner does nothing, as those coatings are a barrier that won't allow the conditioner to reach the hide.

Ford put uncoated seats in King Ranch trucks for a few years and got a ton of complaints due to staining. Most people do nothing to take care of their seats other than bush the food crumbs off.

A damp microfiber cloth is really all that's needed. If the seats are really dirty, I've put a couple of drops of conditioning shampoo in a small bucket of warm water, then rubbed the seats down with that.

A great many of the products sold to clean, detail and "protect" car interiors do more harm than good.
Does it have something to do with an all leather product on 100%? leather seats?

The Last Cowboy

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL Willys 2 door
Occupation
Wandering Vaquero
Does it have something to do with an all leather product on 100%? leather seats?
Unless you have a very high end vehicle, you don't have 100% leather seats. Usually only panels you sit against are leather. The sides, headrests, backs etc are vinyl. Some have only very small portions that are leather.

I'm not sure about what your question asks. A leather product won't damage vinyl but a vinyl product will likely damage leather. Armor All will destroy leather before the vehicle is out of warranty.

You never want you seats, or anything inside, to be "shiny". That greasy shiny look is accomplished with silicone and oils that will break down plastics and leathers. Once that protective coat is broken down on the leather, it will dry and crack in no time.

TheRaven

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU 80th
Occupation
Electrical, Mechanical, and Aerospace Engineering.
Yeah it really depends. Generally, the quality vinyl products are fine on leather but that's not universally true. You really have to educate yourself about what you're using but fortunately there's plenty of easy-to-find info on the really bad ones. I know 3M makes a great vinyl product that's also fine for leather (but I believe they do call that out right on the bottle) and you can always just use the leather stuff on vinyl, which is what I do because then you end up with a consistent "sheen" throughout. If you just want to keep your cleaning regimen as cheap as possible, just use a damp cloth on the vinyl, and save the expensive leather stuff for the few spots of leather you actually have. Also, I always buff all leather/vinyl surfaces dry to make sure all residue is removed. The idea is not to leave a coating...cleaner is for removing dirt and other contaminants, and conditioner is meant to soak in, not sit on top.

Wbino

First Name
Walter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler JL H.A. -- 1999 SLK 230
Occupation
Retired
I recently used Meguiars leather wipes that are pretty dry and after using them on my new seats my ass slides off much easier from the seat. No shine at all.

Sponsored

GATORB8

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLURe
You sure you didn't accidentally buy Bono's old Mercedes Benz?

Or perhaps Bono would be interested in buying your Jeep...

Jeep Wrangler JL Leather seat issue - anyone else? 1626382861011
MB brought out MBtex, a synthetic (pronounced vinyl) leather, and we’ve thought it was great in the last couple cars.

CJ7 and 4 wheel drive

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler Rubicon
You should always use saddle soap on leather never regular soap. Saddle soap is formulated specially for leather.

Sponsored

LiveToWork

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 3500HD
Occupation
Oil patch
My passenger seat and rear seat has a slight fade problem like that. I used my steam cleaner and upholstery conditioners on it and it aint goin away.
When you clean your seats make sure you are using a brush(preferably horse hair). Wiping it wont do anything. And soapy water with a brush works just as good as any cleaner you buy.

OP
OP
griffinm

griffinm

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
Update: My dealer agrees that my seat issue is not normal and should be replaced under warranty. They're ordering a new seat "cover". They will have to remove the seat in order to replace the seat cover...which I'm not crazy about...but at least my issue will be fixed. I'm going to take pictures of all the underseat wiring before the replacement to have a reference point for any issues after the replacement. I'll also be sure to test the heated seats after the replacement to make sure that's reconnected and working. Again, thanks for all the feedback.

GATORB8

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLURe
Update: My dealer agrees that my seat issue is not normal and should be replaced under warranty. They're ordering a new seat "cover". They will have to remove the seat in order to replace the seat cover...which I'm not crazy about...but at least my issue will be fixed. I'm going to take pictures of all the underseat wiring before the replacement to have a reference point for any issues after the replacement. I'll also be sure to test the heated seats after the replacement to make sure that's reconnected and working. Again, thanks for all the feedback.
Shouldn't be a big deal, especially since the seats aren't power. The Air Bag sensors will throw a code if they're not hooked up right, and as you mentioned check the heated seats, and make sure the bolts are tightened all the way down so you don't have any movement.

TheRaven

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU 80th
Occupation
Electrical, Mechanical, and Aerospace Engineering.
The wiring is a breeze. Replacing the cover however, is a frikin nightmare.

RAZE

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 Granite Rubicon, 14 BMW 650, 87 Mustang GT 5.0
I have the same issue. It is 100% a defect. Jeep is a garbage brand that uses cheap materials. That is the reason why they are so unreliable. Minor issues and defects like this are to be expected when owning a Jeep. I still love my Rubicon, but I have accepted it's just a Jeep.
Sponsored