EJWF11

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLUR
It’s either sunscreen, sunscreen lotion, perfumed lotion, or perfumed sanitizer. Those are hand prints from someone propping themselves to reach into the center console.

i dropped a few drops of perfumed sanitizer between my legs after gassing up a couple of months ago, same etching. Its the perfume mouisterizer, its persistent.

you need to apply a hot water compress (damp, not dripping wet), to open up the pores (like your skin).

hope it helps.
Sponsored

MountiesNGamecocks

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
23 JLUS, 22 Ram, 14 Must GT, 94 Cobra
I’ve had good luck with griots garage leather cleaner for light stuff, Meguires cleaning wipes for slightly tougher marks, I use hair spray to get pen stains off, and I go to the steam cleaner if all else fails. Then griots conditioner after all is cleaned up.

Always do a test in an inconspicuous area to make sure whatever your using doesn’t stain / make it worse.

Leather usually cleans up eventually, Alcantara is more of a pain.

korda

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL, 1970 CJ, 1962 Scout
I have marks like this from my daughters sunscreen. I’ve had mixed results cleaning with the Chemical Guys leather cleaner. I’m sure I could get them out if I took my time but I usually get it good enough and move on.

Notorious

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2000 TJ Sahara
I've got something strange happening to a section of my drivers seat
It’s due to human sweat. No amount of solution will restore it. Asking the dealer to warranty is pointless. Shrug it off as normal wear and tear.

If it still bothers you, there are aftermarket companies that will gladly sell you a cloth seat cover or you can reupholster your seat.

GATORB8

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLURe
It’s due to human sweat. No amount of solution will restore it. Asking the dealer to warranty is pointless. Shrug it off as normal wear and tear.

If it still bothers you, there are aftermarket companies that will gladly sell you a cloth seat cover or you can reupholster your seat.
In 2k miles? Yeah right, warranty all day.

Sponsored

jimim

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Rubicon, 2017 Tahoe LTZ
Sanitizer is a pain at times. That was one of the reasons I got cloth when I bought During covid cause I’m in healthcare in and out of peoples house so I’m constantly cleaning myself and that stuff if splashing all over. I have a cleaning station in the back of my Jeep before I get in but I’m still using it a lot more than typical. I know Louie Vittan told my wife the same thing when she picked up a new purse as a gift from me and the kids.

I was thinking that also the other night but didn’t mention it.

jimim

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I have sweat plenty of times on leather seats on other trucks and leather and never had an issue. Black also not lighter. When I was building my house there were days I got in soaked from doing brick in the sun all day with my dad and his buddy. Drove home. Nothing ever. If sweat did that This is some cheap leather.

Roky

First Name
Roky
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
I had my drivers seat leather replaced shortly after I bought it. It looked like whoever was stitching it sneezed or something. The stitching was crooked causing a wrinkle. Fixed under warranty.

I wasn’t to concerned and wasn’t going to have it fixed, but was overruled.......😔.
What surprised me the most was, they didn’t try and blame it on the lift......🤣

OP
OP
griffinm

griffinm

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
I have sweat plenty of times on leather seats on other trucks and leather and never had an issue. Black also not lighter. When I was building my house there were days I got in soaked from doing brick in the sun all day with my dad and his buddy. Drove home. Nothing ever. If sweat did that This is some cheap leather.
I totally agree. It can’t be sweat. I’d have to sweat acid to do that to the seat. Plus, if it was sweat, then logically, the same stains would be on the sections below and above this one section…and on the seat bottom.

jimim

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I totally agree. It can’t be sweat. I’d have to sweat acid to do that to the seat. Plus, if it was sweat, then logically, the same stains would be on the sections below and above this one section…and on the seat bottom.
Back sweat nahhhh. Ass sweat. Ahhhhh maybe. Lol

sorry I had to. I would just pressure the dealer to make it right. Especially if you have a decent relationship with them.

Sponsored

LongTimeListener

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JKURHR
If a little back sweat is staining these seats at 2,000 miles then Jeep has a major issue with its leather.

I agree with the poster above that the most likely culprit is a hand that had some kind of sunscreen or something on it. I’ll be curious to hear what an auto upholstery shop says.

Notorious

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2000 TJ Sahara
If sweat did that This is some cheap leather.
It’s possible. I have cloth seats but my center console lid is leather. I sweat fairly often and have similar discoloration and patches on mine. It does not bother me.

The Last Cowboy

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL Willys 2 door
Occupation
Wandering Vaquero
Sunscreen, tanning oil, bug spray and the like a nasty chemicals. Always throw a towel or something over the seat if you've been using them. I won't allow spray sunscreen on my boat as it causes all kinds of issues with the seats and gel coat.

Not saying, that's what happened here, but just to add to the conversation.

Mikester86

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLR
It’s either sunscreen, sunscreen lotion, perfumed lotion, or perfumed sanitizer. Those are hand prints from someone propping themselves to reach into the center console.

i dropped a few drops of perfumed sanitizer between my legs after gassing up a couple of months ago, same etching. Its the perfume mouisterizer, its persistent.

you need to apply a hot water compress (damp, not dripping wet), to open up the pores (like your skin).

hope it helps.
I agree with your hand print assessment completely.

OP
OP
griffinm

griffinm

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
Update: I just got home from a local auto upholstery business to get an expert opinion (thank you @LongTimeListener ) and from my local dealership to start a warranty claim (thanks @GATORB8 ) ...

The auto upholstery business said they've never seen an issue like mine before and their best guess is that it's a defect in the leather. Perhaps an issue with the color/dye/sealant when the leather was manufactured ... and it just took a little while after build before the issue surfaced. They said sweat and sunscreen should not cause my issue in their opinion (and I know I haven't sat in my seat without a towel down if I'm even remotely sweaty...and have yet to put on sunscreen since buying the jeep).

The service representative at the dealership was helpful and agreed that the issue was odd and we would start a warranty claim. (I'm also going to have them document and evaluate my paint defect - dust/bubble under the paint on the hood.). They didn't have anyone available to evaluate the problem, so they set up an appointment for me to come in next week to have it looked at in detail.

I'll keep you posted as I go down the warranty path. Again - thanks for all the responses and recommendations.

Side note - I reached out to Lexol customer support (thanks @GATORB8 ) via their web portal. They replied quickly wanting to help and asked me to provide more detail. I honestly don't believe their product is the issue so I'm holding off on moving forward with them for now.
Sponsored