Sponsored

Larger battery (group 94 size) 3.6 engine

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JL Rubi, '22 Prevost M H3-45,'01 Harley FatBoy
Hey @Rhinebeck01 , Correct me if I am wrong but I think you have the NorthStar AGM48? Here is a comparison between that battery and A couple Odyssey batteries. The width is the same for all of them. I ordered the type 94 so I am hoping it will fit. Could be too long? We shall see :)
batteryCompare.jpg
@TroyBoy

I called Odyssey at the time I was researching what to buy.. I spoke to the rep there about the Odyssey and the 49 Northstar, measurements, coming out of the same plant.. The rep was unsure if the measurements were exact/correct.. he felt the printed info/specs were possibly incorrect...

The rep went and talked to his resource person and came back on the phone and said the 49 was definitely a no go in a JL....

Based on what was said by the rep, I chose to go with the 48 as I knew it was more then enough for my needs.. I'm looking forward to hearing how you make out with the 49.

As I mentioned, if I got misinformation and then posted that misinformation on the forum, I will go back and correct that misinformation. I'm not one to post crapola.... aka: misinformation.. 8-)
Sponsored

TroyBoy

First Name
Troy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Okay so I pulled out my battery today and noticed it was a group 94 already. I wonder if the tow package gives you a larger battery? I went to Canadian Tire and they looked it up and sure enough the stock battery is a 94R.
@Rhinebeck01 I noticed you said 49. I thought that was a mistake but now Iā€™m not sure. I looked up the specs for a 49 and it is an inch longer than the 94 so I doubt that would fit.

Mike921921

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep
Once when I was young I had a battery in a 78 GMC Jimmy that wasn't secured down well (my fault) and I hit a bump that made it bounce up and a little sideways. It promptly began welding itself to the inner fender because the positive was making contact. I immediately knew because of the smoke and fire. I'm astute like that. Ever since, I always secure my batteries super well.
No worry about this for us - there's so much plastic under the hood a chance of a short is unlikely šŸ˜

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JL Rubi, '22 Prevost M H3-45,'01 Harley FatBoy
@TroyBoy

I called Odyssey at the time I was researching what to buy.. I spoke to the rep there about the Odyssey and the 49 Northstar, measurements, coming out of the same plant.. The rep was unsure if the measurements were exact/correct.. he felt the printed info/specs were possibly incorrect...

The rep went and talked to his resource person and came back on the phone and said the 49 was definitely a no go in a JL....

Based on what was said by the rep, I chose to go with the 48 as I knew it was more then enough for my needs.. I'm looking forward to hearing how you make out with the 49.

As I mentioned, if I got misinformation and then posted that misinformation on the forum, I will go back and correct that misinformation. I'm not one to post crapola.... aka: misinformation.. 8-)
@TroyBoy

What exactly did you install today?

Width was aok and you got it secured right..?

Sponsored

TroyBoy

First Name
Troy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
@TroyBoy

What exactly did you install today?

Width was aok and you got it secured right..?
Nothing. i removed my aux battery and when I had the main battery out, I measured it. I thought my main battery was a 48 but it turns out it was a 94R. I donā€™t get my odyssey 94R for another couple of days.

TroyBoy

First Name
Troy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Hey @Rhinebeck01 so the odyssey 94R fits just fine. It's the exact same size as my factory Mopar 94R. I'm thinking you get the bigger battery if you ordered the tow group.

Jeep Wrangler JL Larger battery (group 94 size) 3.6 engine batteryOdyssey

INCRHULK

First Name
Lance
Threads
Reaction score
Website
litwphoto.com
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Unlimited Sahara
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Program Manager, Information Technology
Clubs

If you're looking for lots of reserves and/or cranking power, and you don't mind spitting out some cash, AntiGravity Batteries. It's almost a shame they don't have one for the AUX battery.

TroyBoy

First Name
Troy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
If you're looking for lots of reserves and/or cranking power, and you don't mind spitting out some cash, AntiGravity Batteries. It's almost a shame they don't have one for the AUX battery.
Very cool and I like the restart feature but holy cow they are expensive! :surprised:

INCRHULK

First Name
Lance
Threads
Reaction score
Website
litwphoto.com
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Clubs

Very cool and I like the restart feature but holy cow they are expensive! :surprised:
Yup, prices are dropping for LiPO4 batteries, but they still aren't the dirt-cheap of a lead-acid. That being said, the environment in an engine compartment isn't nearly as harsh on a LiPO4 vs AGM/lead-acid. You could keep one LiPO4 over the lifespan of 3 or more traditional batteries.

Sponsored

OldGuyNewJeep

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JL, 2016 Yukon XL
Yup, prices are dropping for LiPO4 batteries, but they still aren't the dirt-cheap of a lead-acid. That being said, the environment in an engine compartment isn't nearly as harsh on a LiPO4 vs AGM/lead-acid. You could keep one LiPO4 over the lifespan of 3 or more traditional batteries.
Will our IBS even work with LiPO? Can the alternator charge it? Issues with AUX not being LiPO?

My sonsā€™ RC trucks run on LiPO and require an expensive, fancy charger that balances the cells. Curious to know how this works as a drop in replacement.

sanman357

First Name
Carl
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
-*|||||||*- 19' Mojito! Rubicon 6-speed, 09' Ram TRX4, 67 Chevelle 300 Deluxe
Will our IBS even work with LiPO? Can the alternator charge it? Issues with AUX not being LiPO?

My sonsā€™ RC trucks run on LiPO and require an expensive, fancy charger that balances the cells. Curious to know how this works as a drop in replacement.
They are Lifepo4 different than LiPO.
Edit to add info:
The cycle life of a Lithium iron phosphate (LiFePO4) battery is more than 4 to 5 times that of other lithium ion polymer batteries. The operating temperature range is wider and safer; however, the discharge platform is lower, the nominal voltage is only 3.2V, and the fully-charged voltage is 3.65V.
Lithium iron phosphate is mostly used to replace traditional lead-acid batteries. We also often find that lithium iron phosphate batteries are used in household solar energy systems, fishing, golf carts, outdoor portable energy storages, and electric motorcycles.
What is a Lithium iron phosphate battery?
Lithium-ion polymer (LIPO) battery
A lithium ion polymer battery is a kind of rechargeable battery that mainly relies on the movement of lithium ions between positive electrode and negative electrode to work. Lithium ion batteries use an intercalated lithium compound as an electrode material. At present, the commonly used cathode materials for lithium ion batteries are: lithium cobalt oxide (LCO battery), lithium manganate (LMO battery), lithium-ion ternary (NCA, NMC battery), and lithium iron phosphate (LiFePO4 battery).
Lithium iron phosphate (LiFePO4, LFP) battery
A lithium iron phosphate battery is a type of lithium ion polymer battery that uses LiFePO4 as the cathode material and a graphitic carbon electrode with a metallic backing as the anode.
The LiFePO4 battery, also called the LFP battery, is a type of rechargeable battery. It is the safest Lithium battery type currently available on the market today. It is made to be small in size and light in weight, and the cycle life can reach thousands of cycles.
The difference between LiFePO4 batteries and other li-ion batteries
Inherited some advantages from Lithium-ion batteries
Large current charging and discharging are one of the advantages of LiPo batteries, which allows a device to release more energy in a short period of time. These batteries are used more in racing and power tools: almost all drones and RC model batteries use lithium ion batteries.
Batteries for RC models normally reach 15C, 30C, 50C discharge. Lithium-ion polymer batteries with high discharge rate can reach a maximum of 50C (continuous) and 150C (pulse). They are light in weight, have a long life, and can be manufactured into various shapes. These are just some of the advantages of lithium ion batteries, and lithium iron phosphate batteries have these advantages.
Long cycle life
Because a LFP batteryā€™s cycle life is 4 to 5 times that of other lithium ion batteries, it can reach 2000 to 3000 cycles or more. The LiFePO4 battery can also reach 100% depth of discharge (DOD). This means that, for energy storage products, there is no need to worry about over discharging a LFP battery, and it can even be used for a longer period of time. A good LiFePO4 battery can be used for 3 to 7 years, so the average cost is very affordable.
For more content on depth of discharge (DOD), you can read this article: What is DOD for LiFePO4 batteries?
However, a LiFePO4 battery is not suitable for wearable devices as its energy density is lower than that of other lithium-ion batteries. Furthermore, the battery compartment has limited space, so the capacity is relatively lower.
Thus, compared to another LiPo battery, a LFP battery does not have quite as good endurance and compatibility with the conditions and internal space of wearable devices.
Why are most lithium iron phosphate batteries 12V?
It is said that the lithium iron phosphate battery can perfectly replace the lead-acid battery. The nominal voltage of a lead-acid battery is 2V, and the six lead-acid batteries connected in series are 12V.
However, the 12V LiFePO4 battery pack is generally composed of 4 battery cells connected in series. The nominal voltage of a single lithium iron phosphate pouch cell is 3.2V. When adding the voltage of the series, we get 12.8V (3.2V * 4 = 12.8V). There are also the 24V (25.6V) and 48V (51.2V), which are commonly used.
In addition, the voltage requirement of most industrial applications is 12V or above, which is also the minimum standard of the nominal voltage of general industrial batteries. There are also many applications that need to reach 220V, even 380V or above, such as an industrial forklift, winch, electric drill, etc.
The sales of 24V and 48V electric forklifts are on the rise especially recently, so a primary concern is over how safe a battery is. Compared to the lithium cobalt oxide and lithium manganese oxide batteries, lithium iron phosphate batteries are a lot more safe. The advantage of high life can reduce the whole costs of maintaining and replacing the battery as well.
The shortcomings of cold temperature
Compared to other LiPo and lead-acid batteries, lithium iron phosphate batteries have poor resistance in low-temperature environments; generally, they can only discharge at -10ā„ƒ to -20ā„ƒ.
However, clients think positively of LFP batteries and their high safety functions. They sacrifice some battery performance and specify that they discharge at -30ā„ƒ to -40ā„ƒ. These batteries are mostly used in the military or deep sea and space equipment.

OP
OP
Therby

Therby

First Name
Taylor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL sport 2dr
Vehicle Showcase
Hey @Rhinebeck01 so the odyssey 94R fits just fine. It's the exact same size as my factory Mopar 94R. I'm thinking you get the bigger battery if you ordered the tow group.

Jeep Wrangler JL Larger battery (group 94 size) 3.6 engine batteryOdyssey
this is good to know, makes sense with the tow package to include a bigger battery, plus it has a different alternator?

my jeep was a base model 2 door, the battery came out of my colorado that i traded in
wanted to see if it fit so I wouldnā€™t have an issue running my fridge and it worked

INCRHULK

First Name
Lance
Threads
Reaction score
Website
litwphoto.com
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Clubs

From what I understand with the AntiGravity batteries, their internal battery BMS replicates the charging characteristics of a lead-acid and offers thermal management (IE won't start charging the battery until it warms up, won't charge if it's over heating, etc.

NonHypenatedAmerican

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLUS
@TroyBoy

After poking around, I felt there was a very likely chance it would not fit and to secure would not be a go. I did not want to get stuck with a battery that could not be secured so when with the lesser size..

IF your Odyssey, 94 fits/can be secured properly with stock retainer piece, I will remove/edit my post so I there is no misinformation in my post(s). Thanks!
I installed a Odyssey 94 and its secure and not going anywhere.
Sponsored