Therby

First Name
Taylor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL sport 2dr
Vehicle Showcase
Long story short, had a larger battery from my old vehicle to run my fridge.

It is a group 94 size battery. I looked up dimensions and its the same size as stock, width and height the same, just the length was 1” longer ( my jeep is a 3.6 base model )

It fits just barely in the stock location, you remove a little clip in the front of the battery tray that holds the stock in place and the 94 size fits snugly into it touching the front of the tray.

More battery power. Stock battery only had one stat on it. At -18 cca was 650, this battery is 800cca at -18. Plus im assuming amp hours etc are all improved.

I couldn’t find any info on this, so hopefully this helps someone, someday

4E73D965-B3E9-4F3B-B6ED-4CBBCF73A505.jpeg

EDBF34F5-6B47-4196-929E-FE8B7FB85CA6.jpeg

110F2AF5-36A8-4C1A-9056-5DA0CC880FCF.jpeg
Sponsored

INCRHULK

First Name
Lance
Threads
Reaction score
Website
litwphoto.com
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Unlimited Sahara
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Program Manager, Information Technology
Clubs

Does the JL have a strap holding the battery in place in case of roll over, or is it just that plastic retainer clip? I’d be concerned about the larger one moving with out anything retaining it.

TrailTorque

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU
Vehicle Showcase
Does the JL have a strap holding the battery in place in case of roll over, or is it just that plastic retainer clip? I’d be concerned about the larger one moving with out anything retaining it.
In a roll over I doubt you’d care too much about what your battery is doing under the hood being that your Rig would be totaled at that point.

But, to your point, I’m sure there are aftermarket universal tie downs or clamps like in older vehicles. You know, the old metal bar across the top affixed to two rods that taper into hooks that attach to the bottom of the tray and tighten as you tighten the bolts down. Probably on Amazon. This way you can be sure on uneven pavement or fire roads it wouldn’t move (which I believe was your actual concern). I thought the same thing but he does mention that it fits snug.

Example:

Battery Doctor 21073-7 Universal Adjustable Battery Hold-Down

7549C63D-6770-4512-8253-3D6A1659AF27.jpeg

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B017V72CM8/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_xSqFDb0GN0AYN

I was thinking just order the kit, throw the small tray away and attempt to affix the bracket and rods to the stock tray. Something to that affect..??

Hope this helps!

Sol

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport, 2020 JL Willys
The “block-n-bolt” that @Therby shows with his ratchet in the top pic hooks pretty securely into the base of the battery - the battery case would have to break to get the battery flopping around under the hood. Anecdotal: For 10+ years I field tested this battery hold-down method at up to 1G cornering and braking loads in my old Corvette (though no rollover test was attempted)

Also keep in mind that there was a huge leap in safety with the AGM construction used in today’s batteries - the battery’s acid guts are contained even if the case breaks.

Sponsored

GoHack

First Name
Gordon (N7QEI)
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Sting-Gray JLU Sport, DoM 7/18 (Wed)
Occupation
Mech Engr
Vehicle Showcase
Long story short, had a larger battery from my old vehicle to run my fridge.

It is a group 94 size battery. I looked up dimensions and its the same size as stock, width and height the same, just the length was 1” longer ( my jeep is a 3.6 base model )

It fits just barely in the stock location, you remove a little clip in the front of the battery tray that holds the stock in place and the 94 size fits snugly into it touching the front of the tray.

More battery power. Stock battery only had one stat on it. At -18 cca was 650, this battery is 800cca at -18. Plus im assuming amp hours etc are all improved.

I couldn’t find any info on this, so hopefully this helps someone, someday
Thanks for the information!

TroyBoy

First Name
Troy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
If this battery is the same width, why not use the same hold down? What am I missing?

TroyBoy

First Name
Troy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR

Arterius2

First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sahara 2.0L
@TroyBoy
@Arterius2

The Main battery is held in place / secured with one plastic restrainer piece....

Do read this post..... will give you some insight on how battery dimension is a very relevant issue lets say:
https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/forum/threads/ess-dual-battery-management.60034/post-1340810
Thanks for the heads up, I also ordered a group size 94 battery with the dimensions (L x W x H): 12-7/16" x 6-7/8" x 7-1/2" (316 x 175 x 191 mm). For comparison's sake, do you mind sharing some of the details of the measurements you have done?

ie. which battery of the group 94 variant that you've found to not fit? And what was the max length of of the battery tray?

Last edited:

Sponsored

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JL Rubi, '22 Prevost M H3-45,'01 Harley FatBoy
Thanks for the heads up, I also ordered a group size 94 battery with the dimensions (L x W x H): 12-7/16" x 6-7/8" x 7-1/2" (316 x 175 x 191 mm). For comparison's sake, do you mind sharing some of the details of the measurements you have done?

ie. which battery of the group 94 variant that you've found to not fit? And what was the max length of of the battery tray?
@Arterius2

It's been a couple of months since I did the checking around... I did not retain my notes/scratch papers..

Yes, you can definitely find a few, 94 offerings with a foot print that would work.... fit in the tray... but, I found none I would want to go with.... I wanted USA Made, top notch track record/reviews, etc...

Post if the 94 you get can be secured.

Most 94's will fit the cradle but most after in place will not allow the 94 to be secured with the stock retainer.. I have NOT personally hands on, tried a 94, so am only going on measurements and what I have read and....

IF, you have found a quality battery that a guy/gal would want.. equiv. to say a Northstar then I'm sure many... even I would go with such a 94.

I won't run with a battery I cannot secure.. Sure you can, but I won't for safety reasons, etc..

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JL Rubi, '22 Prevost M H3-45,'01 Harley FatBoy
Hmm, well I already ordered the odyssey 94. I think the width is the same. Hope it fits.
@TroyBoy

After poking around, I felt there was a very likely chance it would not fit and to secure would not be a go. I did not want to get stuck with a battery that could not be secured so when with the lesser size..

IF your Odyssey, 94 fits/can be secured properly with stock retainer piece, I will remove/edit my post so I there is no misinformation in my post(s). Thanks!

TroyBoy

First Name
Troy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
@TroyBoy

After poking around, I felt there was a very likely chance it would not fit and to secure would not be a go. I did not want to get stuck with a battery that could not be secured so when with the lesser size..

IF your Odyssey, 94 fits/can be secured properly with stock retainer piece, I will remove/edit my post so I there is no misinformation in my post(s). Thanks!
Yes it will be interesting to see. I am nervous now. :whew:
I thought it was going to be okay because the odyssey type 48, which is what I thought was the factory size, is the same width as the odyssey type 94.

whiskey jack

First Name
marty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
jl
Once when I was young I had a battery in a 78 GMC Jimmy that wasn't secured down well (my fault) and I hit a bump that made it bounce up and a little sideways. It promptly began welding itself to the inner fender because the positive was making contact. I immediately knew because of the smoke and fire. I'm astute like that. Ever since, I always secure my batteries super well.

TroyBoy

First Name
Troy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Hey @Rhinebeck01 , Correct me if I am wrong but I think you have the NorthStar AGM48? Here is a comparison between that battery and A couple Odyssey batteries. The width is the same for all of them. I ordered the type 94 so I am hoping it will fit. Could be too long? We shall see :)
Jeep Wrangler JL Larger battery (group 94 size) 3.6 engine batteryCompare
Sponsored