First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Wrangler
  • Banned
Yeah: an adopted Dr. Seuss title:

@Jebiruph Jerry has been kind and smart enough to show us how to set up wiring and switches in our 3.6L JL/JT to allow for the operation of its dual battery system in 4 ways: a) factory, b) main battery only, c) ESS/Aux battery only, or d) both batteries in parallel.

Options a) and d) differ little but for the fact that the factory setup has the two batteries separated for an instant at cold crank, to test the ESS/Aux battery in isolation, and ESS events.

As it regards the fomer (cold cranks that is), dead ESS/Aux batteries in the 3.6L JL will strand a model year 2018 attempting to crank, but in later model years, (or 2018's with the correct dealer flashing) such a cranking attempting against a dead ESS/Aux battery will, upon second crank attempt, attempt to crank solely off the main battery.

I'm completely fine with people who implement such battery systems. But I think that people who do so shouldn't allow the ESS system to engage--not at least without further research on the subject.

Chances are you hate ESS, and if your as much a "go getter" to implement a solution like Jerry's you might also have tech to turn off ESS. But if you don't, your running your ESS events off the main battery, which when depleted enough during an ESS event, will cause the 3.6L systems to recrank the vehicle's engine prematurely, before the ESS event completes as a product of the operator taking their foot off the brake....

....and then use this very ESS event depleted main battery to (hopefully) power the crank, that if successful, gets the engine spinning the alternator and charging whatever battery setup you have.

Normally, via factory setup, you're preserving your main battery during ESS events. That voltage drop the vehicle detects during factory wired ESS events is that of the ESS/Aux battery only, and will motivate the vehicle to end the ESS event prematurely, join both battery's in parallel, and attempt to recrank the engine.'

Chances are that your ESS events aren't that long with a one (main) battery setup as to tax it to a point ending an ESS event early, let alone being unable to crank the engine. And true, other (including FCA) vehicles run ESS with one battery. Maybe FCA's voltage thresholds for ending an ESS event are just as stringent for the 3.6L JL as they are for other vehicle's in their fleet that run ESS on one battery. But maybe not. I haven't tested.

But do you really want to get stranded in traffic?

Summary: I have nothing against these hacks in principle (not that I'm the last word) : just consider turning off ESS if you're using them.

Food for thought. :)
Sponsored

WranglerMan

First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU Sahara
Occupation
Gas Pipeliner
Vehicle Showcase
You are correct Sir, Jerry @Jebiruph has been and continues to be a huge wealth of knowledge on this subject, even though I don’t run a true stock setup anymore I still throughly enjoy reading and learning from his in depth knowledge on this.