2021 Jeep Unlimited Willy's
Last edited:

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JL Rubi, '22 Prevost M H3-45,'01 Harley FatBoy
@DarkAge53

I was the forum member @Rhinebeck01 that started that thread, Aux Battery replacement the easy way... pull the fender flare...

I myself have done the fender flare pull and Aux battery replacement 3 times now.. I got better at doing it after the 1st time. 8-)

I had thought about doing a video myself but figured if I was doing a video, i would get distracted and whack my head of something. :facepalm:

Anyway some comments after watching the video..

1. There are 2 types of fender flare clips. You used the ones that you would use for a JK. Buy the correct fender flare clips that cost about $.99 and you will not have to spend time modifying clips. I recommend having 8-10 on hand before doing the flare removal..

2. In regard to the electrical connector. IF, you push the two sides of he connector firmly together as you push the release button, I found that the release worked. I had one out of 3 that fought me..

3. When I did the 3, I did, I wrapped a cloth around the long fender brackets right after I pulled the fender flare, as I figured I would knock my head on them. I removed the cloth just before re-installing the fender flare.

4. I would do a complete 12v power disconnect before I did the Aux battery replacement.

5. Not sure if that guy did, but it would have been a good idea to clean the seep/drain hole that is in the Aux carrier/box. They are know to be plugged.

6. I took issue with the first part of the video that if the Aux battery dies that you cannot start the JL.

Sure with a 2018 JL, that has not had TSB 18-092-19, applied to their JL, this is true but for all 2019-2021 model years, what was stated in the video is totally incorrect..

For 2018 JL/JLU's that have had the TSB applied and all 2019-2021 model years, the JL/JLU with a depleted Aux battery, (with no other issue) will in fact start on the second try... and will though, throw a code.

Regarding the the video..! It will show many that most anyone can do an Aux change themselves..

Last edited:

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JL Rubi, '22 Prevost M H3-45,'01 Harley FatBoy
For those that want to get TSB 18-092-19 applied to their 2018 JL/JLU, so it will indeed still start when it has a depleted Aux battery...

What an owner needs to do to get a specific update done, is to give the Service Writer and the Tech, bullets so to speak, for their gun....

Vehicle owner needs to use the magic words lets say... The vehicle Owner, states to the Service Writer who documents for the dealership and for FCA, specific symptoms/problems that are listed/addressed in the actual TSB he wants performed on his vehicle...

Owner states these specific symptoms , they are documented and now the Tech has the bullets necessary to get the wiTECH II / FCA to allow him to do the update in question.

In this case, for TSB 18-092-19, the owner adamantly stating there is Excessive blower fan noise when the A/C is on MAX output and also that there is Intermittent rough idle or idle surging, when coming to a stop (Automatic transmission equipped vehicles only) is all that needs to be told to the Service Writer, along with the request that TSB 18-092-19 be completed. Tech does not have to witness the symptoms .. Owner just has to adamantly state his/her JL, has the issues/symptoms and they are causing issues for him/her.. Owner should not bother mentioning the 2018 JL related battery issue, as it is not listed in this TSB..

IF the dealer does not do the update after these symptoms are told to the Service Writer and relayed to the Tech, then the owner should immediately call the Dedicated Jeep Customer Care: Ph. 1-866-362-2146 and ask the rep that answers to open a case.. to help... to provide assistance. At that point, FCA... the rep will work for the owner to get that update done.... and they will....

In regard to this specific TSB... it is covered under the power train warranty and even of your 36,000 / 3 yr. warranty is no more, the update is still covered under the longer power train warranty.

WranglerMan

First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU Sahara
Occupation
Gas Pipeliner
Vehicle Showcase
I have said it more than once, what a crappy design by FCA....nice vid and thanks for posting, I hope it helps those that have this setup.

OP
OP

DarkAge53

First Name
Al
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Unlimited Willy's
Rhinebeck01, I thought I made it clear that the video was something I found on YouTube, I guess I didn't do a very good job of that.....I've edit my post trying to clear that up.

I want to thank you for posting your thread about the aux battery, a much better way than anything I've read or seen. Thanks

WranglerMan

First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU Sahara
Occupation
Gas Pipeliner
Vehicle Showcase
@DarkAge53 no worries brother, there are a few different ways to do this from pulling off the fender or going in from the top, there was one member here that hated the battery so he removed it from the bottom without taking off the fender and then carefully pulled the positive cable off the ESS battery up and moved it to the main positive crank battery then disconnected the ESS negative at both ends.

Doing what that member did is fine and then there are no worries about ever having to deal with the ESS battery again but I would never use ESS with that setup as it taxes the main crank battery to much and may leave you stranded.

I sure this ESS battery topic will continue to be discussed for many more posts and I’m sure more methods will develop to bypass and or remove this poor design by FCA the only hope is maybe FCA will design a system that allows the typical owner to do simple upkeep like battery replacement without having to dig out a battery from behind a fender regardless of how simple some say it is which I’m sure that may be the case but really it’s a poor design choice by the maker.
Sponsored