Sponsored

Keeping the 2 Doors Alive

TheGrendel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JKU Recon
So, my first Jeep was a 2 JK Rubicon. I miss it all of the time. I absolutely loved that vehicle and for me a Jeep will always be a 2 door vehicle.

The biggest issue with 2 door has always cargo space. Jeep fixed that for 2 yearswith the LJ. But when the JK came out, the behind second row storage was nonexistent. They kept that with the JL.

The new 2 door Bronco has enough space behind the 2nd row to fit an ARB fridge which I think is absolutely perfect.

Will Stellantis do anything to respond or will they eventually just let the 2 door die instead?
Sponsored

The Last Cowboy

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL Willys 2 door
Occupation
Wandering Vaquero
The example above would be ideal for me. I doubt we would see anything like that until the next Wrangler is released. I like the 2 doors, don’t want/need 4 doors. But the current 2 door is a bit stubby. Actually, all 2 doors have been with the exception of the CJ6, CJ8 and LJ.

aldo98229

First Name
Aldo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Jeep Gladiator, 2018 Fiat 124 Spider
Occupation
Market Research
Vehicle Showcase
Yup. A 2-door on a ~ 108 wheelbase would be ideal for me too.

For reference, the current 2-door rides on a 96.8-inch wheelbase; the 4-door on a 118.4-inch wheelbase.

I like the short 2-door Wrangler, but it lacks practicality for that 10%-15% of the time I need to carry people or something bulky from Ikea or Home Depot. A modern-day LJ would do the trick for me.

Sales of 2-door currently sit at around 15%-10% of total Wrangler sales, and shrinking.

FCA/Stellantis won’t build a longer 2-door because it would cannibalize sales of 4-door and, IMO, they rather make more money selling us 4-door Wranglers.

I’d argue that growing sales of 2-door, even in LJ guise, to 30% -33% of total Wrangler sales, would benefit Jeep: it’d help maintain Wrangler’s cool, youthful image, which ultimately is what helps sell every other type of Jeep.

Ford does not have Jeep’s cool, youthful image and it knows it; that’s why it is trying to position Bronco as a separate sub-brand.

Stellantis could view supporting sales of 2-door as a strategic investment in retaining Jeep brand’s “cool” factor for the long-term.

Last edited:

One_off

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon 2d Gecko Gr + 2021 Rubicon 2 White
My first jeep 2018 2d Rub.
Loved it, then Covid used prices I could not help but sell it.
Missed it and wanted to order a new one.
Figured I'd get a 4d for a bit more space....
Well in my head I thought so till I drove the 4d.
Ugh I hated the turning radius and just the length. The love of my 2d I just wasn't feeling in the 4d.
So.... now I have on order a Gecko green 2d Rub that should be out for delivery in the next couple weeks.
If only a 4d was avail I'd prob not have ordered and pondered on a diff toy.

Sponsored

Killed by Death

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Sarge Green 2021 Rubicon 2 Door
I'd probably buy a next generation LJ. But, between incompetence and Covid they can't fulfill current orders. Adding a new 3rd option would be a disaster right now.

OP
OP
TheGrendel

TheGrendel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JKU Recon
My first jeep 2018 2d Rub.
Loved it, then Covid used prices I could not help but sell it.
Missed it and wanted to order a new one.
Figured I'd get a 4d for a bit more space....
Well in my head I thought so till I drove the 4d.
Ugh I hated the turning radius and just the length. The love of my 2d I just wasn't feeling in the 4d.
So.... now I have on order a Gecko green 2d Rub that should be out for delivery in the next couple weeks.
If only a 4d was avail I'd prob not have ordered and pondered on a diff toy.
im jealous. My 2 door was a Gecko JKR. Loved it.

AcesandEights

First Name
Aces
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Jeep Rubicon 2D, with extra guacamole
Occupation
I'm often occupied, by many things, often at the same time
I don't see the point. The two-door is what it is, and the four-door is longer. If you need more room, you need a four-door. It's a point of diminishing returns in my mind. I need <100" wheelbase, so increasing the two-door wheelbase to 108" would defeat the purpose for me. If I needed ten more inches of space I wouldn't want to increase the two-door, I would need the four-door, which would accommodate my needs and provide a buffer.

Philosophizing here, but I think we all tend to want more than we need. So, if the two-door was 108" we'd be asking for 112". If it was 90", we'd want 95". I think the current iteration is so close to perfect that Jeep/Stellantis would be chasing something that can't be defined. The perfect length is either different for everyone, or the two-door is the perfect length and "we" always want to change things for the better...but the better doesn't necessarily exist. We want something, but what we need is right in front of us.

If the two-door doesn't have enough cargo space, maybe you're taking too many things. Maybe we would find, as I think many of us often do, a way to fill that space regardless of how much space there was. Many of us fill our spaces, garages, houses, drawers in the nightstand, "junk" drawers in the kitchen; although, what we really need would fit in a backpack. We build spaces we don't use 95% of the time (rooms in our houses that sit empty most of the time), parking lots sized for Black Friday (that sit most empty every other day), etc. So, again, maybe the two-door is the right size, and in my mind it certainly is, and maybe the issue is how we use (without filling) that space. If you fill that space, maybe the answer isn't changing the two-door to accommodate what you bring, but buying the right vehicle for the job, the larger of the two vehicles.

MrMischief

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Rubicon
I could see the 2 door being too small if you regularly carry 3 or 4 people, but if it's just two people, flip up the rear seat (or better yet pull it out) and you have plenty of space. There are certainly things I would want but I don't have room for. But so far I haven't ever had a "need" for more space. The only time I start getting close, and could start making arguments for it, is when I'm camping. But if I let my wants take over I'd quickly prefer something larger than a 4 door as well. As it is, I just keep a backpacker's mentality for the most part (pay a lot of money so I can pretend to be homeless). I bring only what I need and while I can certainly see the desire to make things nicer, I'm also not always camping next to my Jeep. Do I really want to carry that Gazelle T4 Plus through the woods to a proper camp site? While I like the idea of that tent, it weighs more than everything I carry currently, probably by a huge amount.

As it is, when it comes to driving trails I think the JL is pretty large. But I'm coming from a TJ so the JL is already something like 11 inches longer and 6 inches wider than what I was used to. If they made it even bigger I'd be annoyed. I wouldn't be mad about a couple more inches of head room though, even if it had to be slightly taller.

AcesandEights

First Name
Aces
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Jeep Rubicon 2D, with extra guacamole
Occupation
I'm often occupied, by many things, often at the same time
Haha, didn't think of that, but you're probably right!

Sponsored

OP
OP
TheGrendel

TheGrendel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JKU Recon
I’d trade in for an LJ JL for sure. Perf size
my guess is they just want to sell as many 4 doors as possible. As sells of 2 doors dwindle, they can say people didn’t want them anymore.

GRAK

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Rubi, Corvette
Clubs

I think this is correct.
And if it doesn't fit in a 2 door, its probably over they payload limit anyway lol.
there are many things that are juuuust slightly too long to fit easily, not necessarily heavy. Camp chairs, tent poles, portable awnings, folding tables, Maxtrax, mtn bike etc etc
Have had to repurchase things specifically to fit in there, still often sideways and carefully packed to clear the tailgate
Few more inches would be yuge đź‘Ś

GRAK

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Rubi, Corvette
Clubs

my guess is they just want to sell as many 4 doors as possible. As sells of 2 doors dwindle, they can say people didn’t want them anymore.
Yeah I doubt they’ll bother releasing one but it would be nice.