Joined the Crack Windshield Club

Baddog2020

First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU Rubicon
7 months, 12331 miles and finally joined the cracked windshield club today. Heading down highway, 60 mph, no dump trucks or 18- wheelers in sight, and blam! Contact at top of windshield, chip and 6 inch crack starting down the middle. Quick trip to Safelite. Because of location of chip (near top edge) and the length of the crack, replacement was recommended. OEM glass is $491. Oh well, this is why I retired . . .and went back to work. “Freedom isn’t Free. Neither is fun, apparently!”
Sponsored

geem03

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler Sport
Occupation
RN/ Firefighter
Vehicle Showcase
I was almost a member of this prestigist club!!!!

Picture this....

Driving down the slush laddened highway minding my own business listening to David Gilmour. I'm cruising down at around 100km/hr (65 mph) when all of sudden, I was grossly frightened by the combination of the loud unexpected slap and sudden appearance of a large piece of ice (I am guessing 12 inches long by 6 inches wide by 1/2 inch thick) on the passenger side of the windshield.

After catching my breath and somewhat not appreciating the unexpected cardiac kickstart, I figured it originated from below the the windshield. We had had a couple of days of freezing rain and snow and I figured it was mild out so it probably knocked itself loose.....

But it didn't.

After investigating a little more, it came off the top of the front bumper and flew straight into the windshield. So lesson learned.... clean off the top of the bumper!

That's my story....