Sponsored

JL Wrangler Clay Model Proposal

JoKer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'13 Wrangler Sport
Has anyone seen these pics? They've been making their rounds on [Banned Site] and FB and apparently these are one of the clay model design proposals for the JL Wrangler. They were taken by someone who attended a Friends and Family Day at FCA headquarters.

I think based on the recent leaks we know most of the design has been rejected but some of it could make it into the production version...?

JL Wrangler Clay Model Proposal.jpg

JL Wrangler Clay Model.jpg
2018-JL-Jeep-Wrangler-Leak-Rear.jpg

Jeep Wrangler JL JL Wrangler Clay Model Proposal {filename}
Sponsored

Rambeaux

First Name
John J
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Willys JKU
Occupation
Aircraft Doctor
I like the looks of it. Definitely still a wrangler. Can't wait to see the real thing.

Billy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1997 TJ, 2022 JTRD
Vehicle Showcase
That grille is hideous! I like the roofline, the profile, the window lines, and the flares quite a bit. I see a slight forward cant to the back window, which I think makes it on the JL. We as a group already know the hood line and grille were rejected from this. The flares probably too, (although not certain) but either way will have the embedded LED strips on the JL front flares. Pretty sure we're seeing the windscreen angle very close to the final JL product, but feel strongly that it'll have more curve to it.

Side note; one benefit to having the window raked back and curved is that it'll be less prone to rock chips and cracks. Wind noise should be better at high speeds as well.

JLtherig

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU (future)
First post here: As a former Transportation Design student these styling bucks caught my eye. It is not at all uncommon for the design studio to release the proposals that didn't make the cut for production. Usually, there are more than a few common themes between all proposals. From viewing more than a few of the JL/ JLU spyshots one of the common themes I see besides the steeply raked windshield is the smoothness of the A pillar, it's a bit more rounded out. I'm curious to see if the JL/ JLU will be proportionately different to what the JK/ JKU was to the TJ, design wise.

Rockcrawler

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeeps and Bikes
I really don't like the strong Renegade influence in this model but luckily we've seen the spy pics and the "leaked" preview. *I think* it looks like they decided against that grill shape/design.

Sponsored

Rockcrawler

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeeps and Bikes
That grille is hideous! I like the roofline, the profile, the window lines, and the flares quite a bit. I see a slight forward cant to the back window, which I think makes it on the JL. We as a group already know the hood line and grille were rejected from this. The flares probably too, (although not certain) but either way will have the embedded LED strips on the JL front flares. Pretty sure we're seeing the windscreen angle very close to the final JL product, but feel strongly that it'll have more curve to it. Side note; one benefit to having the window raked back and curved is that it'll be less prone to rock chips and cracks. Wind noise should be better at high speeds as well.
Interesting you mentioned a more slanted back window. There's a few sketches on the board that show a much more raked C pillar. The second one down (the one white) is a little less drastic and I'm thinking might be what we can expect to find on the JL production version.I zoomed in to get a better look. It's blurry but you get the idea.

Attachments

OP
OP
JoKer

JoKer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'13 Wrangler Sport
First post here: As a former Transportation Design student these styling bucks caught my eye. It is not at all uncommon for the design studio to release the proposals that didn't make the cut for production. Usually, there are more than a few common themes between all proposals. From viewing more than a few of the JL/ JLU spyshots one of the common themes I see besides the steeply raked windshield is the smoothness of the A pillar, it's a bit more rounded out. I'm curious to see if the JL/ JLU will be proportionately different to what the JK/ JKU was to the TJ, design wise.
Rounded and more angled pillars for better aero I'm assuming? I just hope they don't soften the look too much. There is a certain toughness about the sharp edges and boxy design. That is a big part of what separates it from the rest of Jeep's lineup.

So far it is looking like the JL will be a much smaller departure from the JK than the JK was to the TJ, at least in the design/sheetmetal department. It's fine because no one seems to be complaining.

I really don't like the strong Renegade influence in this model but luckily we've seen the spy pics and the "leaked" preview. *I think* it looks like they decided against that grill shape/design.
I'm more interested in the blue sketch that shows the roof. Seems like the 3 paneled roof we keep hearing about.

JLtherig

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU (future)
Rounded and more angled pillars for better aero I'm assuming? I just hope they don't soften the look too much. There is a certain toughness about the sharp edges and boxy design. That is a big part of what separates it from the rest of Jeep's lineup.

So far it is looking like the JL will be a much smaller departure from the JK than the JK was to the TJ, at least in the design/sheetmetal department. It's fine because no one seems to be complaining.

I just hope it doesn't look like a facelifted JK. This is the Wrangler for the next 10 years, its got to have some sort of visual progression. This is entirely possible while still maintaining its "Jeepness". I'm not sure we can gauge who's complaining since no official pics have been released as of yet to make a legit comparison.

Also, note in the sketches the pics of the built in "sport bar" into the frame. That looks pretty cool. Definitely a cleaner look than the existing setup.

Last edited:

JAY

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Admin
Vehicle Showcase
Clubs

A different view and slightly clearer image. Very close to the actual JL roof design.

N.Stark

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
04 TJ
Interesting stuff! At first glance those handles on the roof panels looked out of place but after looking at these for a while I kind of like their effect. Adds even more of a tough utility look to the Wrangler and also breaks up a long flat boring roofline.

Sponsored

Jeep XXL

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler
It's missing a lot of the elements we've already seen on the prototype spy shots (grille design, wrap up front bumper, turn signals on front of fenders) but it also shows lots of new designs we've seen on the prototypes - raked windshield, foglight position, hood bulge. And I bet the roof and removable panel design ends up very similar to that.

Any top down views of that concept model? Would like to see how big the panels are.

JLtherig

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU (future)
It's missing a lot of the elements we've already seen on the prototype spy shots (grille design, wrap up front bumper, turn signals on front of fenders) but it also shows lots of new designs we've seen on the prototypes - raked windshield, foglight position, hood bulge. And I bet the roof and removable panel design ends up very similar to that.

Any top down views of that concept model? Would like to see how big the panels are.
I'm not sure the bumper completely wraps around looking closely at some of the spy shots. A bit of a gap exists where the fenders and front bumper meet.

One of the most telling things is the fact that the rear portion of the three-piece top was held down by zip ties which would indicate to me that that's not the real design of the top.

Vegas_Sirk

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 JKU
Vehicle Showcase
I dig the whole thing to be honest. I wouldn't be upset if it looks just like that.

The tail lights look the same as in those dealer leaks.

Last edited:

DropTopGal

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
TBA: 2018 JL Wrangler, 2017 GS Corvette
Vehicle Showcase
Viewing the above image(s) on my Surface Book and only the first image comes up on the display. I actually looked at that first picture for several minutes and was thinking .... that is an awful lot of clay... how do they do that? and what keeps it from falling apart? Then I scrolled down only to realize that it is a miniature model, not a full size Jeep. LOL OK, funny moment over.

OP
OP
JoKer

JoKer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'13 Wrangler Sport
I like the over all design of the Jeep JL but we all know where the front grille came from. Was this an attempt to see what the public would say about the merger of a Renegade and Jeep Wrangler JL?.. I hope not.. I think If the New Jeep front grille looked like this.. I'm under the impression we may stray towards another vehicle. In other words.. If I wanted a Renegade I would have purchased one with that grille. Give me the classic Jeep Wrangler grille.
Have you seen the leaked grille image @ Leaked: 2018 Jeep Wrangler grille

Thankfully not like the Renegade at all.
Sponsored