Sponsored

JL will not start - with pics - need help!

JoeBelt

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler Unlimited Sahara
I had this issue at around the same mileage as you, the dealership replaced both batteries and something called "z fuse array" (Pictures Below) Mopar part number also pictured below, ask them to specifically check this thing. this part is located on the side of the fuse box with around five wires going on top of it.

my issue was very similar to yours, jeep just wouldn't start, after multiple tries it did and then the whole dash lit up with all sorts of warnings.

Dealership told me this is a known issue and that it is the main reason why the smaller battery dies.

Screen Shot 2020-11-01 at 11.25.02 AM.png
Screen Shot 2020-11-01 at 11.25.11 AM.png
Kuwait! I lived there for a year and had some good times. I remember the grand opening of the Ruby Tuesday in 03. I was also a regular at the Sushi place at the Crowne Plaza. Good people - I’d definitely go back.
Sponsored

Faresalsal

First Name
Fares
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon JL / 2012 Mustang Boss302 / 1998 Cherokee Sport
Kuwait! I lived there for a year and had some good times. I remember the grand opening of the Ruby Tuesday in 03. I was also a regular at the Sushi place at the Crowne Plaza. Good people - I’d definitely go back.
03! you'll definitely see lots of changes since then. mostly newer and bigger malls & coffee shops :CWL:

oceanblue2019

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR 2.0L Auto
Occupation
Metrology
I spent a year in Kuwait right after Desert Storm as part of the civilian support team sent to get critical infrastructure restored that was destroyed.

I actually met Sheik Jaber Al-Ahmad Al-Sabah and received a small gift every year from him until he passed around 2005.

I also remember the British, Australian, and Canadian nurses and having a lot of good times.

OP
OP
JohnA

JohnA

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Jl
Thanks for the responses. I’m checking the pdc fuse.

Gee-pah

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Wrangler
I had this issue at around the same mileage as you, the dealership replaced both batteries and something called "z fuse array" (Pictures Below) Mopar part number also pictured below, ask them to specifically check this thing. this part is located on the side of the fuse box with around five wires going on top of it.

my issue was very similar to yours, jeep just wouldn't start, after multiple tries it did and then the whole dash lit up with all sorts of warnings.

Dealership told me this is a known issue and that it is the main reason why the smaller battery dies.

Screen Shot 2020-11-01 at 11.25.02 AM.png
Screen Shot 2020-11-01 at 11.25.11 AM.png
I'm glad you raised this Fares.

What's pictured above some people refer to as the high amp fuses.

These fuses sit inside the Power Distribution Center (PDC), which is a black colored box found in the engine bay, on top, closest to the passenger's seat. If you take the black plastic cover off the top you will find these fuses sitting inside the PDC, on the side of the device closest to the driver's seat.

To replace these you must first remove the cables attached to them. These fuses sit such that the one above labeled "0698" has that label facing the driver's side, closest to the cabin. When removing the wires, although they are marked by the factory, make sure you can put them back on in the correct order: the number 1 cable being connected to the screw on the PDC closest to the front of the vehicle, with #2 adjacent and one screw closer to the cabin, etc.

Some dealers, deliberately or ignorantly, will tell you that you need an entire new PDC when one of the fuses on this part has blown (and that's all that's wrong in the PDC). It's not true. You just need to buy and replace these--much less expensive than the entire PDC--fuses (which granted, when as little as 1 of these fuses blows, the entire part needs to be replaced.)

I know that the fuses are labeled as 2, 3, 4 etc. but on the jeep forum we talk about these numbers in the reverse order.

Sponsored

Faresalsal

First Name
Fares
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon JL / 2012 Mustang Boss302 / 1998 Cherokee Sport
I'm glad you raised this Fares.

What's pictured above some people refer to as the high amp fuses.

These fuses sit inside the Power Distribution Center (PDC), which is a black colored box found in the engine bay, on top, closest to the passenger's seat. If you take the black plastic cover off the top you will find these fuses sitting inside the PDC, on the side of the device closest to the driver's seat.

To replace these you must first remove the cables attached to them. These fuses sit such that the one above labeled "0698" has that label facing the driver's side, closest to the cabin. When removing the wires, although they are marked by the factory, make sure you can put them back on in the correct order: the number 1 cable being connected to the screw on the PDC closest to the front of the vehicle, with #2 adjacent and one screw closer to the cabin, etc.

Some dealers, deliberately or ignorantly, will tell you that you need an entire new PDC when one of the fuses on this part has blown (and that's all that's wrong in the PDC). It's not true. You just need to buy and replace these--much less expensive than the entire PDC--fuses (which granted, when as little as 1 of these fuses blows, the entire part needs to be replaced.)

I know that the fuses are labeled as 2, 3, 4 etc. but on the jeep forum we talk about these numbers in the reverse order.

Great video! i wish i've seen it when this happened to me!

This is what the dealership initially thought, but i told them it can't be and they need to check more and get the best tech they have, after he checked everything is the jeep for a full day, he said it is not the PDC and changed out the big fuse i posted about.

Everything after changing it went great and i drove many miles on the jeep and never had any other electrical issues.

Although i have many aftermarket lights on the jeep, they replaced the fuse / aux battery / main battery all under warranty.

Dkretden

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR 3.6L
Hello all, new to the forum and my name is John. I recently installed a mopar auxiliary switches in my jeep JL. I had the battery disconnected for two days. When I hooked everything back up the jeep would not start. The Windows, lights, and radio all work. I took both batteries out amd went to have them tested. Both are fine. It is driving me insane for the last couple days. I just bought a taser to try to clear the CEL’s but no luck. I attached some pics of the dash. Any advice? I checked all the fuses and grounds.

B023E376-56D2-41E3-841D-6A6D1A7FD539.jpeg

F2470FEE-7CA1-4DB8-9687-27C39D5B35CB.jpeg

F4B076F4-02CE-4FC0-878C-5093FDA58805.jpeg

5B43B36A-EC07-4002-B638-0B0B47F495B9.jpeg
John:

any updates on this? Were You able to solve it?

OP
OP
JohnA

JohnA

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Jl
I just installed the Z array fuse. Doing the exact same thing. It must be something in the pcu. Sorry for the ignorance of that isn’t the Jeep’s computer. I think it went into anti theft mode and is just stuck. The tazor didn’t do anything. At least it’s a free tow with my girls AAA. I will keep you posted once they update me.

OP
OP
JohnA

JohnA

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Jl
Jeep Wrangler JL JL will not start - with pics - need help! image
She will be missed.

OP
OP
JohnA

JohnA

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Jl
Just got back from the dealership. They will call me tomorrow with the news. I will post what had happen.
Also, wanted to thank rhinebeck for the help. Wrangler man also had great knowledge. This is a great forum. Thanks for the quick responses amd help.

Sponsored

OP
OP
JohnA

JohnA

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Jl
@JohnA

what was the final outcome? Anything that we could learn from?
It’s still there and it’s become BS. They said the reason of the no start was due to another wire in the same harness as the orange wire on the passenger side. This was never touched. The prong was bad.

I am Arguing that they should be a warranty item. Then they said the prongs in the auxiliary harness that connect to the auxiliary switches are bad. I told them that’s impossible since it’s only been plugged in once

Yesterday the dealership called me and said the new battery that I bought has no chargeOr has a bad cell. I took it back and got a new one. I took that back to the dealership and dropped it off. That is when they informed me if it is not the battery then it is the auxiliary switches. He Said that they ordered a new set of auxiliary switches and I will not be charge for that install. Then I question him why will nine not be charge for this install? He said it be an easy swap. It sounds like to me they damaged some prongs inside the harness.
Once I get the Jeep back a plan on writing a letter to Chrysler and about the dealership.
I should have more info today.

Dkretden

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR 3.6L
It’s still there and it’s become BS. They said the reason of the no start was due to another wire in the same harness as the orange wire on the passenger side. This was never touched. The prong was bad.

I am Arguing that they should be a warranty item. Then they said the prongs in the auxiliary harness that connect to the auxiliary switches are bad. I told them that’s impossible since it’s only been plugged in once

Yesterday the dealership called me and said the new battery that I bought has no chargeOr has a bad cell. I took it back and got a new one. I took that back to the dealership and dropped it off. That is when they informed me if it is not the battery then it is the auxiliary switches. He Said that they ordered a new set of auxiliary switches and I will not be charge for that install. Then I question him why will nine not be charge for this install? He said it be an easy swap. It sounds like to me they damaged some prongs inside the harness.
Once I get the Jeep back a plan on writing a letter to Chrysler and about the dealership.
I should have more info today.
Ouch. I expected to hear that you already had your Jeep back. Sorry. best wishes.
Sponsored