Sponsored

JL Retractable Sunshade

If it were available now, would you order a JL Retractable Sunshade?

• Total voters

Samfamaz

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JTRD
Right now I'm just using a paracord loop attached to the factory front latch points to hook the sunshade into when pulled out. I'm going make some new hooks on the sunshade that will hook right into the stock position.

This only works if you have a sunrider. Be careful of the plastic on the sunrider, Very brittle. I cracked a piece when I bumped it moving it around. Maybe Bestop would give me a factory sunrider/sunshade if they decide to make these.
The twill top barely touches the sunshade when closed. Not any more than the other things the twill touches. Bestop could sink it in lower if they modified the mold.

Before you say it to hard to change a mold. We have have many items molded at my company and it's not that big of a deal to make a small change like that. The mold maker's are very proud of their work though.
Sponsored

Samfamaz

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JTRD
The twill top barely touches the sunshade when closed. Not any more than the other things the twill touches. Bestop could sink it in lower if they modified the mold.

Before you say it to hard to change a mold. We have have many items molded at my company and it's not that big of a deal to make a small change like that. The mold maker's are very proud of their quirk though.
Almost forgot, the best part is it really cuts down on the jeep hair. It doesn't seem happy at highway speeds but it hasn't broken.

Fudster

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Elliot
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Sahara
I made my own retractable shade.

I bought a shade at the Orange store slightly wider than the JL's width. I took the shade off and chucked it, and then cut one end of the shade roller to JL length and inserted the hardware on the side of the shade I cut back into the shortened length, discarding the short piece.

Replacing the shade with Harbor Freight mesh cut to size I folded/sewed over the end of the mesh that when extended sits on the windshield, sticking rare earth magnets in the fold.

Standard window shade holders (one side to accept the pin, the other the flat head) get bolted to adjustable pipe clamps wrapped around the "B" pillar/Sports bar. I little drilling was required to make holes for tiny nuts/bolts that connected the two.

Setting the proper tension on the flat head hardware side of the shade with needle nose pliers I created my shade.

DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLUR, 18JLUR, 08JKUR, 15 Renegade, 04 WJ
Vehicle Showcase
I made my own retractable shade.

I bought a shade at the Orange store slightly wider than the JL's width. I took the shade off and chucked it, and then cut one end of the shade roller to JL length and inserted the hardware on the side of the shade I cut back into the shortened length, discarding the short piece.

Replacing the shade with Harbor Freight mesh cut to size I folded/sewed over the end of the mesh that when extended sits on the windshield, sticking rare earth magnets in the fold.

Standard window shade holders (one side to accept the pin, the other the flat head) get bolted to adjustable pipe clamps wrapped around the "B" pillar/Sports bar. I little drilling was required to make holes for tiny nuts/bolts that connected the two.

Setting the proper tension on the flat head hardware side of the shade with needle nose pliers I created my shade.
Pics??

Sponsored

Fudster

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Elliot
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Sahara
I bought a shade at the Orange store that's slightly wider than the distance between the "B" pillars. I yanked off/discarded the shade and then cut one end of its tube to about the length between the "B" pillars.

From the shortened cut end I yanked out of its closed side the shade hardware and stuck it into the side of the piece below that was open.

I then used contact cement spray to attach some mesh from Harbor Freight that I cut to the shade's width.
Jeep Wrangler JL JL Retractable Sunshade IMG_1016.JPG

Below's the side of the shade most distant from the roller with the shade flipped over. I think I may have already used a factory hem, but to make your own hem just fold over a couple of inches and grommet the hem into place with Harbor Freight's grommet kit. Inside this hem I've spaced out a couple of 1" rare earth magnet disks that I slipped in from the sides. Put the magnets in before the grommets if making your own hem. The velcro piece in the grommet's used to keep the shade wrapped up when not it use.

Jeep Wrangler JL JL Retractable Sunshade IMG_1019.JPG

Below is a shade hardware piece (pair purchased separately) with two holes drilled into it on the passenger's side at the sports bar. The adjustable pipe clamp behind it attached to the sports bar has the same two holes drilled into it that with the tiny nuts and bolts shown allowed me to connect the adjustable clamp and shade hardware piece. The shade hardware is universal: same on both sides. One side uses the pin (this side), the other side the slot.

Jeep Wrangler JL JL Retractable Sunshade IMG_1020.JPG

Driver's side:

Jeep Wrangler JL JL Retractable Sunshade IMG_1021.JPG

Shade in place at sports bar and extended:

Jeep Wrangler JL JL Retractable Sunshade IMG_1023.JPG

Shade at A pillar held in place by magnets, air foil above not relevant to discussion:

Jeep Wrangler JL JL Retractable Sunshade IMG_1025.JPG

kah.mun.rah

First Name
Merenkahre Jr.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
Back in 2018 Bestop told me that they would have the retractable sunshade for the JL in early spring of 2019. ;)

Jeep Wrangler JL JL Retractable Sunshade 1660852916093

Samfamaz

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JTRD
How hard (brackets?) do you think it might be to get the Bestop JK retractable sunshade to attach, rather then to the JL Sunrider, to the JL’s top steel door rails…as if the Sunrider were not even installed?
It wouldn't be that hard. There are two bolts on each end that you can attach any bracket you come up with. The big problem is that the back side of the JL/JT freedom top opening is triangular and not straight across. You would have a big opening behind the shade. You might also need to not only have the brackets reach out to the side but also bent to lower the shade down to clear the freedom tops when they are on.

Fudster

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Elliot
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Sahara
It wouldn't be that hard. There are two bolts on each end that you can attach any bracket you come up with. The big problem is that the back side of the JL/JT freedom top opening is triangular and not straight across. You would have a big opening behind the shade. You might also need to not only have the brackets reach out to the side but also bent to lower the shade down to clear the freedom tops when they are on.
Thanks.

Do you have the width of the shade, as well as the shade and brackets together? I'm wondering if I can turn the JK Sunshade upside down to get it to, if necessary, fit under JL Freedom Panels, not just a JL soft top or JL Sunrider.

Thanks.

Samfamaz

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JTRD
Thanks.

Do you have the width of the shade, as well as the shade and brackets together? I'm wondering if I can turn the JK Sunshade upside down to get it to, if necessary, fit under JL Freedom Panels, not just a JL soft top or JL Sunrider.

Thanks.
I'll try to get you a measurement. I'm away from home for a couple days. Under might be OK if it's far enough back that you don't hit your head on it.

Sponsored

Fudster

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Elliot
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Sahara

Fudster

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Elliot
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Sahara
I bet it's been posted before, but it sounds like Bestop already has a version of the retractable sunshade designed, if not optimized for use/sale yet:

thx138

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JLU '17 GTI
Occupation
IT
I bet it's been posted before, but it sounds like Bestop already has a version of the retractable sunshade designed, if not optimized for use/sale yet:

That video is four years old, since it hasn't come me out yet I doubt it ever will.

Fudster

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Elliot
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Sahara
That video is four years old, since it hasn't come me out yet I doubt it ever will.
Robert: I was reading up on the history of this product on the forums dedicated to the JK. Apparently there was a tendency for the shade to bow in the wind of highway travel.

Maybe Bestop wasn't looking to simply create a JL version of the product with the same JK issues.

TheComet

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Rubicon
I have one on my JK (see post 196) and never had issues with it. Granted I don’t often drive around at freeway speeds with the top open.

I do open the sunrider far more frequently in the JK because it has the retractable sun screen. The combination is by far my favorite Jeep mod

Please bring this to market, Bestop
Sponsored