Sponsored

JL Retractable Sunshade

If it were available now, would you order a JL Retractable Sunshade?

• Total voters

Vaunswa

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler
Sucks to see that it’s already been designed and a prototype built. Come on Bestop,....
Sponsored

Sgt Beavis

First Name
Rick and Miyako
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler JL Unlimited Sport S
Occupation
The Man, The Myth, The Legend. In my own mind.
Vehicle Showcase
For once, I’d actually like to see a Chinese knockoff of a product. Bestop isn’t going to build it so someone else should.

maddscot

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Rubicon Wrangler Unlimited
For once, I’d actually like to see a Chinese knockoff of a product. Bestop isn’t going to build it so someone else should.
Yup, I have the Sunrider and though it is super convenient, I still need a sunshade and it slightly prohibits the access to deploy and close the Sunrider. I deal with it because I love the Sunrider over the hard top front "hatches". If they made one, I would be sold in a heartbeat.

ColoradoB

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL Unlimited Rubicon
Hey guys!
Just to chime in and answer the question, no news on the retractable sunshade right now. We have lots of challenges with Covid-19 and this is pushing back a few ETA's. I know that't not what you wanted to hear but I hope you understand!

Lee
- the Bestop team
www.bestop.com
Hello Lee and the Bestop Team,

Spring will be here soon... any word on getting this in production for sun season? :)

Sponsored

WranglerMan

First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU Sahara
Occupation
Gas Pipeliner
Vehicle Showcase
Just installed my SR and have a sunshade but it’s not designed to play nice with my SR so come on @Bestop design something

maddscot

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Rubicon Wrangler Unlimited

WranglerMan

First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU Sahara
Occupation
Gas Pipeliner
Vehicle Showcase
Blows my mind that @Bestop hasn't released this yet. Can only assume it’s either not a profitable item or an important item to them.
They could at least chime in and give a reason so we can pursue other options if they don’t plan on doing it, I have only had my SR for a very short time but love it but as I said my SpiderWebShade JLKini does not play nice with it due to the latches being hard to get to.

I may consider marking a cutout around my current sunshade and take it to a local upholstery shop and have them cut squares out and reinforce the cutout and see how it goes.

DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLUR, 18JLUR, 08JKUR, 15 Renegade, 04 WJ
Vehicle Showcase
They could at least chime in and give a reason so we can pursue other options if they don’t plan on doing it, I have only had my SR for a very short time but love it but as I said my SpiderWebShade JLKini does not play nice with it due to the latches being hard to get to.

I may consider marking a cutout around my current sunshade and take it to a local upholstery shop and have them cut squares out and reinforce the cutout and see how it goes.
I don't speak for Bestop, but I'd venture an educated guess as to why we haven't seen these yet.

I believe there are several factors at play that result in this being put on the back burner, or at least the slow burner. They are developing MANY products and their development capacity is maxed out. Also, they have dealt with Covid like everyone else, which has left them short staffed probably many times and for extended times. Finally, when faced with limitations like that, you make a business decision to focus on products with higher profit margin and probably higher demand. The best business cases get the resources and attention.

I forgot one major issue that also may be at play. It isn't as easy as just hiring more employees. I know I and everyone I know have had major struggles finding qualified people to hire. The stimulus actually makes it harder. Each time we've had one, I've had a dry spell of candidates for jobs. I'll leave it to others to deduce why that is, but it is simply a fact.

This sucks, because I'm waiting for them to take my money. But I understand why they can't do everything.

If I were Bestop, I'd consider farming this out. Or maybe a competitor might look at filling this hole in their product line. It looks like it would actually be easy to engineer. Especially if you simply adapted the JK sunscreen design.

Sponsored

OP
OP
Bestop

Bestop

Peak Sponsor (Level 2)
First Name
The Bestop Team
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2010 JKU
Chiming in here per request. Dan hit it pretty much on the head with the fact that we have come out with MANY new products since the launch of the JL and we need to focus on what makes the best business case. We have still not abandoned the idea but I don't have any dates or news that I can share with you guys at the moment. The good news is that we will still be bringing you exciting new JL products in the meantime.

Lee
- the Bestop team
www.bestop.com

WranglerMan

First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU Sahara
Occupation
Gas Pipeliner
Vehicle Showcase
@DanW thanks for the very detailed answer, we can only hope that something will surface soon either from Bestop or another vendor.

WranglerMan

First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU Sahara
Occupation
Gas Pipeliner
Vehicle Showcase
Lee @Bestop thanks for chiming in, I’m hoping for something in the near future.

WranglerMan

First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU Sahara
Occupation
Gas Pipeliner
Vehicle Showcase
And back at you, thank you for your interest and your continued business. We appreciate you.

Lee
- the Bestop team
www.bestop.com
Lee,

I have only had my SR for a very short time but I am very much enjoying it and a Bestop retractable sunshade would complete the experience over what I’m currently using 😉

Jeep Wrangler JL JL Retractable Sunshade B36D4864-2E56-4054-8EBB-40AC4D313DC7
Jeep Wrangler JL JL Retractable Sunshade 3C59D133-CB8D-4015-A27E-7F5486B29923
Jeep Wrangler JL JL Retractable Sunshade 3DC8D7B6-4DBD-41E7-90FC-10129EFB7729
Jeep Wrangler JL JL Retractable Sunshade E731DCF5-E2CA-42B8-9864-199C82514DB1
Sponsored