Sponsored

JL Retractable Sunshade

If it were available now, would you order a JL Retractable Sunshade?

• Total voters

Kluck

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 4door Wrangler JL
I recently purchased a sunrider for my new JL, and I’m now realizing the need for a sunshade. I’m very disappointed that a retractable unit doesn’t currently exist.

I’ve looked at alternative options for my Jeep, however I can’t wrap my head around how I could operate the sunrider top with a non-retractable sunshade installed.
Fingers crossed that this is manufactured in the near future.

Something else for Bestop to think of, it would be nice if this was just bundled into a sunrider in the first place and factored into the overall cost. It could then also be sold separately as a an upgrade option.

‍My two cents...
Sponsored

Last edited:

maddscot

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Rubicon Wrangler Unlimited
I recently purchased a sunrider for my new JL, and I’m now realizing the need for a sunshade. I’m very disappointed that a retractable unit doesn’t currently exist.

I’ve looked at alternative options for my Jeep, however I can’t wrap my head around how I could operate the sunrider top with a non-retractable sunshade installed.
Fingers crossed that this is manufactured in the near future.

Something else for Bestop to think of, it would be nice if this was just bundled into a sunrider in the first place and factored into the cost overall cos. It could then also be sold separately as a an upgrade option.

‍My two cents...
I have the Alien sunshade installed and it works fine, and I am sure any with a little bit of opening in the front will do so as well. The only issue is flipping it back and closing (not with the hinges however) as I have to reach out the window to open and close. Not really an issue... What bugs me more is having to remove it to remove the hardtop, but it has been simple to reinstall (6 bolts). However that all said @Bestop should get on this to move to a production sunshade that works with the Sunrider...

lembowski

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR Sting Gray
Keeping fingers crossed for this. I bought a Rugged Ridge front one that has the cutouts for the front handles but it’s a really bad cover and have to reach out the window to raise up and down. XG Cargo has a magnetic version that the front flaps back and out of the way for the handles but doesn’t flap back far enough to make it easy to raise the Sunrider back or bring it forward. A retracting screen really is the way to go and I guess that’s why we are all stuck.

@Bestop please keep this product top of mind with management and engineers.

Vaunswa

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler
just bought a Jl with a sunrider And assumed that Bestop made one for the JL like they did for my JK. Unpleasant surprise that they don’t make one. Why? I love this on my JK. Now I can only open the top early Morning or Evening, shaved head doesn’t work well for long drives with cancer inducing sun. Thanks Bestop for another well Executed launch...

JEEPIDON

First Name
Charlie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon, 2021 Gladiator Rubicon, 2013 Ram2500
Occupation
Retired - Business Consultant
just bought a Jl with a sunrider And assumed that Bestop made one for the JL like they did for my JK. Unpleasant surprise that they don’t make one. Why? I love this on my JK. Now I can only open the top early Morning or Evening, shaved head doesn’t work well for long drives with cancer inducing sun. Thanks Bestop for another well Executed launch...
Assumed? Surprise? Didn't you go to their website and see nothing is listed?

Can't see how it's Bestop's fault.

Sponsored

Vaunswa

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler

JUST BOUGHT WITH IT INSTALLED.... Assumed if they made it like this for the JK they would also for the JL. Hopefully they will soon.

DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLUR, 18JLUR, 08JKUR, 15 Renegade, 04 WJ
Vehicle Showcase
I do think they will eventually offer it. IMHO, the JL Sunrider for Hardtop design lends itself a little easier than the JK, but I'm no engineer.

For now, I'm using the Bestop sunshade and just flipping it back when the sunrider is closed.

What I'd really like to see is a retractable screen that works with both the Sunrider for hardtop and the soft top, both.

four low

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL
Hopefully, someone other than Bestop is paying attention, and will bring this to market. Added Bonus, make in the USA, NOT China or Mexico.
Bestops attitude of " don't know, don't care " is proof that big isn't necessarily better. Hopefully, competition will come to the JL owners rescue, particularly the 2 door crowd.

JEEPIDON

First Name
Charlie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
JUST BOUGHT WITH IT INSTALLED.... Assumed if they made it like this for the JK they would also for the JL. Hopefully they will soon.
There's a thread on the forum (a million pages long) that has this sunshade discussion and the latest news from Bestop. I wouldn't hold my breath as this project is side tracked for....? Find the thread and it'll answer all of your questions.

Kluck

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 4door Wrangler JL

“do your research” isn’t a totally fair statement when @Bestop ‘s Sunrider promotional video literally talks about the sunshade add on and states “coming soon, the retractable sunshade.” It took me seeing a post from @Bestop in this forum to see any mention of a project/product being delayed with no additional info on timeframes after having purchased the product.

I understand maybe not manufacturing a product due to not having immediate demand on JLs (I.e. JLs only being in production for a year or two vs. 10+ years of JKs) but Jeep is about to have 4 years of the JL model out in the road.

I just hope someone @Bestop is reevaluating this product for production as an add on or possibly modifies the overall sunrider production to just bundle a sunshade with the sunrider in the first place at a higher cost (Make the sticker price a flat $1k)

Sponsored

JEEPIDON

First Name
Charlie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
“do your research” isn’t a totally fair statement when @Bestop ‘s Sunrider promotional video literally talks about the sunshade add on and states “coming soon, the retractable sunshade.” It took me seeing a post from @Bestop in this forum to see any mention of a project/product being delayed with no additional info on timeframes after having purchased the product.

I understand maybe not manufacturing a product due to not having immediate demand on JLs (I.e. JLs only being in production for a year or two vs. 10+ years of JKs) but Jeep is about to have 4 years of the JL model out in the road.

I just hope someone @Bestop is reevaluating this product for production as an add on or possibly modifies the overall sunrider production to just bundle a sunshade with the sunrider in the first place at a higher cost (Make the sticker price a flat $1k)
I like your bundling idea, I would much rather get everything I would want than acquire on a piece meal basis. However, after reading all of the input available here, I'm not sure other than a percentage of the Forum folks there is much demand for the JL shade. I know the video you're talking about that got everyone juiced up (including me) but wasn't that one of the dealers doing the demo and making the claim of "available soon"? (Quadratec perhaps?) Anyway, the Alien sunshade I went with is what I'm using and it allows you to latch/unlatch the sunrider just fine....you have to stick your arm out the window to flip it up but I guess if you're opening your top you're probably going to have your window down anyway.

Let's see what they do!
Good jeeping.

Slowpoke

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Moab Silver 2018
Occupation
Yes
As the old saying goes, "build it and they will buy it", or something like that.

Chomper

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sahara

"Coming soon" has been a year and a half and counting. It is a shelved product. I doubt we will see one before 2022 or longer.

Bestop still isn't getting out the dust cover, wind jammer and safari top to people who ordered months ago.

lembowski

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR Sting Gray
Bringing back the 2 year old video with retractable sunshade @ 11:45. Cant think of another product anyone wants before this one @Bestop

JEEPIDON

First Name
Charlie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
"Coming soon" has been a year and a half and counting. It is a shelved product. I doubt we will see one before 2022 or longer.

Bestop still isn't getting out the dust cover, wind jammer and safari top to people who ordered months ago.
This is something Quadratech said, not Bestop. Watch the video!
Sponsored