Sponsored

JL Retractable Sunshade

If it were available now, would you order a JL Retractable Sunshade?

• Total voters

Krondor

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JL - Punk'n Edition
Build Thread
Link

DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLUR, 18JLUR, 08JKUR, 15 Renegade, 04 WJ
Vehicle Showcase
Last I heard, it was scrapped.

They recommended I get this:

https://www.bestop.com/jeep/2018/wrangler-jl/standard-targa-sun-bikini/

And I'm leaning toward wearing my hat or just closing the sunrider when the heat gets to be a bit much. :dunno:
Wow, I hope not. I have the retractable sunshade in my JK with the Sunrider for Hard Top and it is awesome. Not the end of the world, though, if true. I'll be moving to the soft top soon, anyway, for the summer, and I can put the money saved toward some Rigid Side Shooters for the old JK.

That sun bikini looks great, btw!

OP
OP
Bestop

Bestop

Peak Sponsor (Level 2)
First Name
The Bestop Team
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2010 JKU
Hey guys!
Just to chime in and answer the question, no news on the retractable sunshade right now. We have lots of challenges with Covid-19 and this is pushing back a few ETA's. I know that't not what you wanted to hear but I hope you understand!

Lee
- the Bestop team
www.bestop.com

lembowski

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR Sting Gray
Hey guys!
Just to chime in and answer the question, no news on the retractable sunshade right now. We have lots of challenges with Covid-19 and this is pushing back a few ETA's. I know that't not what you wanted to hear but I hope you understand!

Lee
- the Bestop team
www.bestop.com
Lee, it was said you guys scrapped slider. Are you saying the idea wasn’t scrapped and the current pandemic is causing the lack of transparency on this product?

OP
OP
Bestop

Bestop

Peak Sponsor (Level 2)
First Name
The Bestop Team
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2010 JKU
Hey @lembowski
When you say slider, I assume we're still talking about the Retractable sunshade. Correct me if I'm wrong.
When an idea has been "scrapped" to me that means there is never an intention on following through with the program. We still will like to see this through but I'm unable to provide an ETA due to fluidity of the situation right now. Consider it "on hold" if you will.

Lee
- the Bestop team
www.bestop.com

Sponsored

DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLUR, 18JLUR, 08JKUR, 15 Renegade, 04 WJ
Vehicle Showcase
Hey @lembowski
When you say slider, I assume we're still talking about the Retractable sunshade. Correct me if I'm wrong.
When an idea has been "scrapped" to me that means there is never an intention on following through with the program. We still will like to see this through but I'm unable to provide an ETA due to fluidity of the situation right now. Consider it "on hold" if you will.

Lee
- the Bestop team
www.bestop.com
Great! I hope it eventually happens. Like I said, I love it on the JK.

OP
OP
Bestop

Bestop

Peak Sponsor (Level 2)
First Name
The Bestop Team
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2010 JKU
@DanW
Thanks, Dan! That's great to hear and I hope we can make this available to you as well.

Shots

First Name
Winchell
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Rubicon
Hey guys!
Whoa now hold on. You're really going to blame this on the virus. Seriously?
I hate to be "that guy" but I'm not buying it. We just keep getting the "hang in there" with "no ETA yet". I get it, Bestop has a product to sell, and if the prospect of a retractable shade that works with the Sunrider encourages a person to buy a Sunrider the company doesn't want to scare them off by pulling the plug on the sunshade. Instead it's in indefinite development.
Lets face it, this product was teased last year (5/22/19 start of thread) and it sounded like it was coming soon. Then when we all started wondering what happened and asking if it was dead Bestop responds with
"Hey all,I continually mention this to our aftermarket team for you so it does not fall off the radar, however there is still no ETA on it. Sorry :(
"
That was 9/3/19. September 2019!!! Well before the guy in Wuhan ever even thought about eating bat soup, much less an outbreak. So now 7 months later the sunshade is delayed because of Covid? Nah, I'm calling bs on that one. It was already delayed and/or dead before that.

I get it, it's a business and I don't fault Bestop for not wanting to officially call it. Apparently the JK version wan't enough of a money maker to justify development for the JL version. It happens. I'm not buying that it stalled because of Covid though.

OP
OP
Bestop

Bestop

Peak Sponsor (Level 2)
First Name
The Bestop Team
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2010 JKU
@Shots
Also since 5/22/19 we have released many other new products. As with any company that has a finite amount of resources, we have to prioritize tasks. We launched the Supertop Ultra for JL, Trektop Ultra for JL, and many other great new products! We're working hard to get down the list, as we know that there are still products that we haven't gotten to that there is demand for. I apologize that we haven't gotten to the Retractable Sunshade for JL yet. I don't retract my previous statement, without the Covid pandemic we would have more resources and less disruptions which would allow us to get to develop and launch more products more quickly. Is that the only reason for not providing and ETA? No. But it's a large contributing factor at this point in time.
Overall, I sincerely want to thank you for your interest in this product and I hope we can deliver it to you at some point in the future.

Lee
- the Bestop team
www.bestop.com

Shots

First Name
Winchell
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Rubicon
I appreciate the explanation, though you didn't owe me or anyone else one. I'm still very happy with the Sunrider, and with Bestop as a brand in general.
I've seen the release of other Bestop products and the company stays active on social media/forums. Clearly you're all still trying to make customers happy.
I understand that resources (people and supplies) are restricted now and that would obviously delay a potential release date of the sunshade. My observation was only that the retractable shade was on the back burner (or burn barrel) before any restrictions or shortages. Of course that is because other products (such as the Trektop, Supertop, etc) are a bigger priority, as well they should be. I would be shocked if they weren't. It's a business and you'd be foolish to prioritize a low sale volume $200 product over higher volume $2000 products.

Again, thank you for following up, further illustrating what a good company Bestop is. I would l encourage anyone who is thinking about a Sunrider to buy it because it's awesome and made/sold by a good company. I would ignore that there's a chance that maybe someday there might be a retractable shade that works with it.

Sponsored

Darin Martell

First Name
Darin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JLU
Very glad to see this is not dead, one more vote for making it available as long as it works with a soft top I’ll be happy.

plex

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Occupation
Weekend keyboard mechanic and beer drinker
Vehicle Showcase
Is there a kickstarter link for this? I will be totally down for this, just take my money!!

Slowpoke

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Moab Silver 2018
Occupation
Yes
Is there a kickstarter link for this? I will be totally down for this, just take my money!!
I think this is it? Started by Bestop May 22, 2019
Sponsored