Sponsored

JL resale values are insane!

Cypher

First Name
J
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR Eco-Diesel now. 18, 19, 20 JLUR 3.6 old.
Occupation
Cybersecurity Leader
Vehicle Showcase
Hmm yeah that is definitely something to consider. I am not in a huge hurry. Thanks for the info. I will definitely keep this in mind.
I will be watching the market as well just in case. I sold my 2020 JLUR after a year and 15k miles for over what I paid MSRP last October. If I would have waited until June I may have made another 3-5k.

My 2021 was ordered in May, delivered in August. if it looks like I an actually make a profit off it late this year, early next year I may sell if the 2023s are going to have new features I want in the refresh, or if something else comes out I have to have. I love the eco-diesel in my 2021 though, so I will never go back to a gas version unless its a 392, or a new engine option with similar torque numbers. the 3.0, and the hp75 trans is a thing of beauty in the JL.
Sponsored

displayname

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
TBD
I just read something today calling out keywords in article titles to help differentiate "news" from "opinions." The very first example they brought up was articles that use "may" in the title are speculative opinions, not current facts.

They can still be insightful, but an author's opinion should be weighted against others with conflicting opinions to gain a balanced viewpoint. At least that's MY opinion.

True you never know. Carvana offered me 46 today so I am going to think about it. That’s what I paid for it so still not a bad deal.
Regardless of what you *might* make at another point in time, you're basically getting to drive a vehicle for free with that current offer. Don't take that for granted. If you want something else, it's a good deal. Quite frankly, it's insane to me that this is happening to used car prices. The fact that you can even get within $5K of your original purchase price from over a year ago shows that we're already in a perfect storm. I wouldn't try to predict the market just to see if you can squeeze out another 5%. It's already a very fortunate situation.

meganrken17

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL Rubicon, 2002 TJ
Why? You already have a rubi. The suspension on the xtreme is meh. just buy a solid aftermarket lift and 35s of your choice.
The big reason I am considering selling is if I can come out even or make money to order a brand new Jeep with a new warranty. I do have 17k miles so I am almost half way out of the full bumper to bumper 36k warranty. I have already had my rear axle replaced from a bad sensor. It would be nice if I could reset the warranty basically for free.

The extreme recon package is appealing to me since it comes with the 4.56 gears which would be covered under warranty, the 35 ko2s and the slightly bigger lift. If I don’t sell I plan to get 35 inch ko2s when I need new tires. I will probably do a very small spacer “lift” to get the same effect as the extreme recon package.

I have put a lot of time into my current Jeep so it has been a really tough decision on whether to sell or not. Really I think I like the idea of a new warranty.

Sponsored

displayname

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
TBD
The big reason I am considering selling is if I can come out even or make money to order a brand new Jeep with a new warranty. I do have 17k miles so I am almost half way out of the full bumper to bumper 36k warranty. I have already had my rear axle replaced from a bad sensor. It would be nice if I could reset the warranty basically for free.

The extreme recon package is appealing to me since it comes with the 4.56 gears which would be covered under warranty, the 35 ko2s and the slightly bigger lift. If I don’t sell I plan to get 35 inch ko2s when I need new tires. I will probably do a very small spacer “lift” to get the same effect as the extreme recon package.

I have put a lot of time into my current Jeep so it has been a really tough decision on whether to sell or not. Really I think I like the idea of a new warranty.
It sounds to me like your heart already has a decision made, and it's just waiting for your brain to catch up.
You can get what you paid for a used vehicle. That's insane. I wouldn't gamble with that good fortune. A bird in the hand...

meganrken17

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL Rubicon, 2002 TJ
It sounds to me like your heart already has a decision made, and it's just waiting for your brain to catch up.
You can get what you paid for a used vehicle. That's insane. I wouldn't gamble with that good fortune. A bird in the hand...
Very true. I think I am going to call tomorrow to get a quote on ordering a new one.

OP
OP
aldo98229

aldo98229

First Name
Aldo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Jeep Gladiator, 2018 Fiat 124 Spider
Occupation
Market Research
Vehicle Showcase
Keep in mind, though, if you are being offered what you paid for, since you already paid tax and license, and you are not getting that money back, you are not driving the Jeep for free.

Here in NW WA, tax and license are almost 10% of the value of vehicle, which is not an insignificant amount on a $50,000 vehicle.

Also, any mods you might have done to the Jeep, unless they are transferable, are a sunk cost. Meaning, you don’t get that back either.

Finally, I wouldn’t take for granted if your Jeep has been trouble-free. These being Jeeps, that probability of getting two completely trouble-free Jeeps, one after another, are about 50-50... 😫

Bulletbill

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR
I just read something today calling out keywords in article titles to help differentiate "news" from "opinions." The very first example they brought up was articles that use "may" in the title are speculative opinions, not current facts.

They can still be insightful, but an author's opinion should be weighted against others with conflicting opinions to gain a balanced viewpoint. At least that's MY opinion.

Regardless of what you *might* make at another point in time, you're basically getting to drive a vehicle for free with that current offer. Don't take that for granted. If you want something else, it's a good deal. Quite frankly, it's insane to me that this is happening to used car prices. The fact that you can even get within $5K of your original purchase price from over a year ago shows that we're already in a perfect storm. I wouldn't try to predict the market just to see if you can squeeze out another 5%. It's already a very fortunate situation.
I agree with your statements, but since we are discussing word choices, I personally used the word “expected,” which is defined as “likely; or anticipated.” Which is not a statement of fact.

Anyway, there is a lot going on in the world. Most people seek off-road vehicles to escape their daily lives. I personally expect demand will remain stagnant over the winter and go up again in the spring as people start vacation planning. Just my 2 cents. I am not an economist 😜.

areuriding

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler Rubicon XR
Bought my 2019 Rubi for 45k out the door, sold it to VROOM a month ago for 50k and ordered a 2021 Rubi super loaded with the RECON package and everything else possible for 58k

Sponsored

displayname

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
TBD
I agree with your statements, but since we are discussing word choices, I personally used the word “expected,” which is defined as “likely; or anticipated.” Which is not a statement of fact.

Anyway, there is a lot going on in the world. Most people seek off-road vehicles to escape their daily lives. I personally expect demand will remain stagnant over the winter and go up again in the spring as people start vacation planning. Just my 2 cents. I am not an economist 😜.
I think demand for Jeeps will go up a little more in spring as well. The big part of the equation though is will Jeep be potentially rolling out the MY22 at a faster pace to meet that demand. Probably not full production capacity, but maybe enough to keep used prices from going fully upside down again. Either way, it'll probably still be in this expensive era to buy a vehicle.

treoguy

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JL Sahara
that was the case before the recent storms and flooding, as well as delta. prices are expected to climb again after trending down recently
That's been my experience with Vroom. First quote was $40K on my 2018 Sahara. It went down to $38k and today was back up to $40k. The problem with Vroom is they don't account for extras. My Sahara has Rubi wheels, tires, Mopar steel bumper and aluminum side steps (about $3k).

csjlu

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU
I think demand for Jeeps will go up a little more in spring as well. The big part of the equation though is will Jeep be potentially rolling out the MY22 at a faster pace to meet that demand. Probably not full production capacity, but maybe enough to keep used prices from going fully upside down again. Either way, it'll probably still be in this expensive era to buy a vehicle.
I agree. The record number of containerships waiting to unload cargo at west coast ports suggest supply chain issues are still acute and not abating. Railroads have also warned about expected industrial volume shortfalls in the 2nd half of 2021. It is not just semiconductor production yields that are the problem - it is delta flare-ups, tractor trailer haul-away capacity at seaports, tight driver and truck axle availability, unwillingness to pay up for higher wages, etc. Expect the tightness to continue, and be thankful if you already have your JL.

Last edited:

Cypher

First Name
J
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR Eco-Diesel now. 18, 19, 20 JLUR 3.6 old.
Occupation
Cybersecurity Leader
Vehicle Showcase
That's been my experience with Vroom. First quote was $40K on my 2018 Sahara. It went down to $38k and today was back up to $40k. The problem with Vroom is they don't account for extras. My Sahara has Rubi wheels, tires, Mopar steel bumper and aluminum side steps (about $3k).
This is where a good dealer is a benefit. they will account for those things better than a carmax or vroom etc. I sold mine to a person. here in AZ there is a huge tax savings if you can buy person to person.

macman1125

First Name
Kyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon - XR Edition
Kelly Blue Book says my 2018 Sahara with every major option on it and only 6,200 miles is worth $45,000 to a dealer. I paid $38,000 four months before the pandemic hit.

I added about $3,500 in Katzkin leather seats and a Mopar lift.

I barely drive it. I am tempted to get the cash and run. Perhaps wait a few months for the market to cool off and see what else to get.

I still have the OE wheels and front bumper. I may swap the Quadratec wheels and steel bumper and sell them separately. I never got around to installing the winch.

Thoughts?
Sorry to jump on an old thread and start asking questions from months ago but figured it was worth a shot. I am very interested in the Katzkin leather seats as I tried to make a change after I ordered my new jeep and they couldn't make the change. Can you tell me how it turned out? I really would like the look of my factory rubicon seat with the option of maybe cooling. I already have heated in the factory ones.
Sponsored