JL rear camera theft?

dannko

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubicon JL Unlimited
Hello, I have not removed the rear camera yet, but what's to prevent a thief from just unscrewing it and taking it? Anyone have a secure method to prevent that?
Sponsored

Wanderingwheelz

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Sport
The plastic housing is the only part that could be taken, not that anyone would want to. That’s the part that needs to be removed before the wheel can be removed. The camera itself is firmly fixed.

CypressWrangler

First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler Sport S JLU
Why would anyone want to steal the camera? I can understand trying to break it off but why steal it?

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JL Rubi, '22 Prevost M H3-45,'01 Harley FatBoy
@dannko

LOL .... I promise you, no one will ever steal your camera. They may snag the $16+- easily, removable, plastic cover but they are not going to get or even want the camera. Sure, there may be the rare exception to what I spew but it will be a rare day in hell that someone steals that camera.

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JL Rubi, '22 Prevost M H3-45,'01 Harley FatBoy
@dannko

Forgot to mention.... what you do need to worry about in regard to that camera is that you or some nitwit tire jockey, does not, when removing the spare, let it drop down on the camera and break / crack it's housing. NOW, that is something to worry about.

Sponsored

Sheepjeep

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
01 xj, 04 Silverado 2500hd
besides smashing it with a hammer to remove the camera you have to remove the camera condom, the spare tire, unbolt the tire carrier and then unscrew it from the carrier housing

TravisRogers

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JL Sahara
Funny story. Like so many people do, I used my rear view camera for a family Disney World trip earlier this year. It was hard carrying that wheel around all day. Had no idea it separates. And don't get me started on family photos with Mickey. Try finding a passerby who can lift that tire.

You know, just making memories. Sigh.

Gron86

First Name
George
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Rubicon
That’s funny. When the JL was first introduced I thought the rear camera would come off when you unscrewd the torx screw. But as mentioned above, the only thing easy to steal would be the bezel.

NYJeepFan

First Name
JD
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Rubicon
I was thinking the same question being my neighborhood is like mini Beirut. Just last week they stole a persons truck lid which I have never seen before literally took the trunk lid off an accord ! 1 week later another Honda was left on milk crates as they took all the wheels. I am on the border of the Bronx in NY and have seen it all. lol I have a 2019 JLUR on the way and will be watching it at night.

OP
OP

dannko

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubicon JL Unlimited
Why would anyone want to steal the camera? I can understand trying to break it off but why steal it?
cause criminals are jerks and take anything, hell they keep taking the valve stem caps off my mom's and wife's Lexus's.
Sponsored