JL LED wiring

smw89

First Name
Steven
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Wrangler JL Sport
If I buy a JL that's factory-wired for LED lights, can those be replaced with aftermarket lights or do I HAVE to replace them with Mopar lights?
Sponsored

sailscall

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 2dr Sport 6MT
I don't think you received any answers because the question is convoluted. Does the JL you are asking about have Halogens or LEDs now? What are you thinking about buying?

Rustynail11

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Wrangler JLU Rubicon
Jeeps aren't wired specifically for LED lights since LED's use the same wiring halogens do. If you are talking about replacing stock Halogen headlights, fogs, fender lights, and tail lights you do not need to use Mopar you can replace with aftermarket. More than likely though you will have to get the computer flashed at the dealer or use a Tazer Mini (or something similar)

My suggestion that if not using Mopar you research the aftermarket lighting you are going to purchase. There is a lot of crap out there.

OP
OP

smw89

First Name
Steven
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Apologies for not being more clear, I'll try again: If the Jeep comes with LED lighting installed from the factory, can it be replaced with aftermarket light assemblies or can I only replace them with the factory assemblies? I was under the impression that optioning LEDs from the factory implied that a different wiring harness was used for the assemblies that aftermarket lights weren't compatible with.

sailscall

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 2dr Sport 6MT
I believe so.............. Mopar LEDs are considered to be the Magnum Opus of lighting for a JL. Why would you want to change them out? Do you have an LED option you are looking at? Oracle, DV8, etc. have compatibility charts.

Sponsored

JeepyD

First Name
Danny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Unlimited Rubicon 2.0T
I just used the Oracle RGB+W upgrade kit to turn my factory LED's into color changing halos. It's not for the faint of heart. It requires cutting the factory lenses off the housing, changing out the LED chips, resealing the lens to the housing (plastic welder and Oracle headlamp RTV), and routing new wires (I ran mine to one of the auxiliary switches and programmed the u-connect to turn the halo on/off with the key). It took a full day and several You-Tube videos. But... worth it. I kept the amazing factory Mopar LEDs while adding the color shift technology.

@ORACLElights please post a video of the complete install or include directions on how to do the full wiring.

Rustynail11

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Apologies for not being more clear, I'll try again: If the Jeep comes with LED lighting installed from the factory, can it be replaced with aftermarket light assemblies or can I only replace them with the factory assemblies? I was under the impression that optioning LEDs from the factory implied that a different wiring harness was used for the assemblies that aftermarket lights weren't compatible with.
Do you already have LED's from the factory? If so why would you spend the money to change? Seems to me that is money that could be out towards other mods. but to each his own. Wiring harness is the same although there my an extra connection for the halo. Yes you can replace with other aftermarket options (but again not sure why you would) but if you do let me know how much you want for the OEM factory headlights or taillights

OP
OP

smw89

First Name
Steven
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Do you already have LED's from the factory? If so why would you spend the money to change? Seems to me that is money that could be out towards other mods. but to each his own. Wiring harness is the same although there my an extra connection for the halo. Yes you can replace with other aftermarket options (but again not sure why you would) but if you do let me know how much you want for the OEM factory headlights or taillights
I'm thinking of trading in my current Jeep and I have a full suite of aftermarket LEDs that I may want to move to the next one, so I'm just trying to figure out if I should be shopping for a factory-halogen or factory-LED model. I was also thinking about long-term replacement cost; the Mopar LEDs are egregiously priced so I wanted to know if I could replace faulty units with aftermarket or if I had to shell out the ridiculous extra money for Mopar lights.

Rustynail11

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I'm thinking of trading in my current Jeep and I have a full suite of aftermarket LEDs that I may want to move to the next one, so I'm just trying to figure out if I should be shopping for a factory-halogen or factory-LED model. I was also thinking about long-term replacement cost; the Mopar LEDs are egregiously priced so I wanted to know if I could replace faulty units with aftermarket or if I had to shell out the ridiculous extra money for Mopar lights.
Yes if the MOPAR units ever crapped out you could replace with aftermarket with the same wiring (again maybe with the exception of the halo but that is an easy fix). I wouldn't spend the money for the Mopar LED's if you have lights that you like, unless you like the Mopar better.

OP
OP

smw89

First Name
Steven
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Yes if the MOPAR units ever crapped out you could replace with aftermarket with the same wiring (again maybe with the exception of the halo but that is an easy fix). I wouldn't spend the money for the Mopar LED's if you have lights that you like, unless you like the Mopar better.
Thank you! I've found a few Jeeps that I'm interested in that have other features that I really like and include the Mopar LEDs so really I guess it was more a question of moving my aftermarket lights over or just keeping them on my current Jeep and trading it in that way.

Sponsored

sailscall

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 2dr Sport 6MT
I installed the Oracle Oculus Bi-LED switchbacks on my JL in April. I kept my halogens. The Oracles are going with me if when I sell the JL. The halogens are going back on.

Which aftermarket LEDs do you have? If the are eBay cheapos, I’d leave them on the JL when you sell it.

mferrara91

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Sport Altitude
If the Jeep you are buying has the LED package leave it be. The Mopar LEDs are better than any of the aftermarket junk and are super-bright.

OP
OP

smw89

First Name
Steven
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I installed the Oracle Oculus Bi-LED switchbacks on my JL in April. I kept my halogens. The Oracles are going with me if when I sell the JL. The halogens are going back on.

Which aftermarket LEDs do you have? If the are eBay cheapos, I’d leave them on the JL when you sell it.
I have Oracles all around: projector headlights with halos, fog lights, smoked taillights and smoked third brake light. I know the Mopar LEDs are good quality too so I wouldn't be upset about using those, but the aftermarket stuff is much cheaper to replace.

Rustynail11

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Thank you! I've found a few Jeeps that I'm interested in that have other features that I really like and include the Mopar LEDs so really I guess it was more a question of moving my aftermarket lights over or just keeping them on my current Jeep and trading it in that way.
You won’t get any extra $$ for the LED’s on trade so May be better taking off and putting halogens back on and using or selling yourself.

where in MD are you? I am from Annapolis area. Haven’t lived there in many years but family does so still visit

OP
OP

smw89

First Name
Steven
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
You won’t get any extra $$ for the LED’s on trade so May be better taking off and putting halogens back on and using or selling yourself.

where in MD are you? I am from Annapolis area. Haven’t lived there in many years but family does so still visit
I'm also in Annapolis!
Sponsored