Sponsored

Taillight wiring (wiring LED lights to tail lights)?

Bszczepanski

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Rubicon Unlimited
I have led lights I would like to tie into my rear backup lights. What wires should I splice into? Are they color coordinated by any chance? If not, anyone have a picture so i’m not guessing.
Sponsored

WillDo559

First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jl rubicon unlimited
Man I have pictures but no notes lol. I remember the colors are different for each side though. I might be able to check in a bit, I should clean up my mess actually since I spliced into 3 wires until I found the right one..

0E7A4585-ED79-43AC-8F0C-E2E4B71FD84B.jpeg

blnewt

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep JL V6 SportS, (Retired 74 CJ-5, 80 CJ-7)
Occupation
Just ask @cosine he knows!

cns721

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'04 WJ, '13 JKU, '18 WK2, '19 JLU, '22 WL74
Occupation
Software Engineer

viper88

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 JLR 2.0T (past), '22 JLR 3.6 (present)
https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/JL-Wiring-Diagrams/LAMP-ASSEMBLY-TAIL-LEFT-connector-details.pdf

Looks like you'll want to tap into the white/beige wire.

EDIT: seems like the right tail has a different wiring set up.

https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/JL-Wiring-Diagrams/LAMP-ASSEMBLY-TAIL-RIGHT-connector-details.pdf

White/violet wire for the right side.
Are the links you posted for the LED tail lamp connectors inside the body? Are they the connectors you un-latch to remove the LED lights? Are those connectors and wired pins easily found at auto parts stores? I want to buy a male and female to make a 6" extender.

A friend had a trailer company install a hitch and wiring for his JL. He said everything worked fine for about 6 months. Recently his left rear LED tail lamp stopped working so he took it into the dealer. The dealer said the LED was bad and the entire light has to be replaced, there are no replaceable bulbs. The dealer said the bad LED tail lamp would not be covered under warranty because the wiring to the LED tail lamp was spliced into. I think my friend said the rear LED tail lamp was over $400.

I want to install rear back up lights. If possible I want to avoid splicing into any factory wiring. I don't want to have warranty issues with the dealer if one of those expensive LED tail lamps goes out. I do not want to splice into the factory wires. I want to buy or make a wiring harness that plugs in between the LED tail lamp and the wiring harness in the body. A wiring harness with male and female connector that is the same as the ones that connect the LED tail lamp. Kind of like a extender about 6" long. I figure I can splice into the extender and not have to splice into the factory wiring. I can always unplug and remove the extended harness I spliced into between the LED and body harness. Then reconnect the LED plug to the body plug without damage to anything.

EDIT: Looks like I found something that is already custom made so no splices are needed. What I wanted to make are the "T" connectors supplies with this kit. The "T" connectors are plug and play. All you do is unplug the factory LED tail lights and plug in the "T" connectors. The "T" connectors have the wires all spliced out so NO-CUTTING or SPLICING is needed to the factory harness. No warranty issues with the dealer.

https://www.etrailer.com/Custom-Fit...Wrangler/2019/C56407.html?vehicleID=201971195

Last edited:

D60

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL
Man I have pictures but no notes lol. I remember the colors are different for each side though. I might be able to check in a bit, I should clean up my mess actually since I spliced into 3 wires until I found the right one..

0E7A4585-ED79-43AC-8F0C-E2E4B71FD84B.jpeg
Extends arms, crosses index fingers and winces......ScotchLoks are the debil! If you EVER have a wiring issue on a trailer you can rest assured it's a ScotchLok.

But seriously, nice work. Hope it holds up
Sponsored